Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PatJim

NCL partners with Uplift for cruise installment payments

Recommended Posts

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

 

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

 

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

 

Patricia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat, it's a bank loan with varied interest rates.   Here is a a discussion from a few days ago.

 

Read the fine print at the bottom.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man those are some gnarly interest rates. The example they used is over 15%. Better than most credit cards, but cruising without having the cash is pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree. If you can't pay for it through the MyNCL each month, then perhaps you shouldn't cruise, however, it's to each his own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO, this is not new. I posted this here several months ago.  There is also a thread about this someone started about a week ago.  I was foolish and thought it was a way of reminding me how much I needed to pay each month before final payment.  Not sure why you need to finance a cruise when NCL gives you over a year to pay it off in some circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so confused as to why anyone would do this when you can just pay as you want until final payment is due directly through NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, PatJim said:

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

 

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

 

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

 

Patricia 

 

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

 

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Edited by zqvol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zqvol said:

 

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

 

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Thanks, everyone, for responses.  Sorry I didn't find the earlier postings about this, as I did a search here using the Uplift name.  Did learn something new--that one can pay NCL direct in installments, with no added fees.  

 

Totally agree that the Uplift program is an insane way to throw away $$$$.

 

Patricia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We book pretty far ahead and then just save the money in a separate account, and make the final payment on the due date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCL has squeezed the payment window, now 120 days, was 90. If you book close to cruise time it can be tight. NCL is giving themselves a chance to close more sales, the option will appeal to some. Also not everyone has credit cards or their  limits are way under the price of a cruise, even if they pay the bill in full. So this is  a way for them. NCL is a mass market cruise company so they need products that appeal to all.

 

I can put a plan in place to afford a Haven cruise, but I'd rather take 3 cruises than one Haven cruise. Is there something awful about someone else choosing the Haven? I just think to each his own and NCL wants everyone to have a chance to cruise with NCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35.9%? Are you kidding me? If you wan to pa by installments, just pay NCL directly per month. All you have to do is divide your total payment due by the months to final payment, and you have your payment interest free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might not be a bad option if you've booked last minute. Get your cruise now, and pay it off after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, 1midsun said:

We book pretty far ahead and then just save the money in a separate account, and make the final payment on the due date.

 

 

We do the same🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just another option for those who may not have another option.  It's great that none of you folks need to finance it this way.  Like me, consider yourself fortunate.  I usually book last minute deals myself, usually the sailaway rate as I don't need any of the "free" perks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...