Cruise Critic Community
PatJim

NCL partners with Uplift for cruise installment payments

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

Patricia 

Pat, it's a bank loan with varied interest rates.   Here is a a discussion from a few days ago.

Read the fine print at the bottom.

Man those are some gnarly interest rates. The example they used is over 15%. Better than most credit cards, but cruising without having the cash is pretty bad. 

Totally agree. If you can't pay for it through the MyNCL each month, then perhaps you shouldn't cruise, however, it's to each his own. 

LMAO, this is not new. I posted this here several months ago.  There is also a thread about this someone started about a week ago.  I was foolish and thought it was a way of reminding me how much I needed to pay each month before final payment.  Not sure why you need to finance a cruise when NCL gives you over a year to pay it off in some circumstances.

I'm so confused as to why anyone would do this when you can just pay as you want until final payment is due directly through NCL.

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, PatJim said:

Jim just went on NCL's website to check cruise prices, and found something new.

NCL has started a 12-month payment plan, partnering with Uplift.com.  When you sign up for a cruise, you can choose the Uplift option.  Only after providing more information to that  company, will they reveal how much will be each monthly payment.  I would guess that there is an extra cost for this 'service,' though those who like the idea of a fixed monthly cost to pay off their cruise will welcome it.

Couldn't find a news release from NCL, or anything here on CC about this new program, and NCL is not yet listed as a partner on Uplift's website.

If anyone chooses to pursue this option, could you let us know the additional cost?  Thanks!

Patricia 

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Edited by zqvol

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Why would you not just make regular monthly payments to NCL?

If they have stopped that option I can accomplish the same thing by paying in full with a CC and then paying whatever I want to my own CC company at a much better interest rate.

Thanks, everyone, for responses.  Sorry I didn't find the earlier postings about this, as I did a search here using the Uplift name.  Did learn something new--that one can pay NCL direct in installments, with no added fees.  

Totally agree that the Uplift program is an insane way to throw away $$$$.

Patricia 

We book pretty far ahead and then just save the money in a separate account, and make the final payment on the due date.

NCL has squeezed the payment window, now 120 days, was 90. If you book close to cruise time it can be tight. NCL is giving themselves a chance to close more sales, the option will appeal to some. Also not everyone has credit cards or their  limits are way under the price of a cruise, even if they pay the bill in full. So this is  a way for them. NCL is a mass market cruise company so they need products that appeal to all.

I can put a plan in place to afford a Haven cruise, but I'd rather take 3 cruises than one Haven cruise. Is there something awful about someone else choosing the Haven? I just think to each his own and NCL wants everyone to have a chance to cruise with NCL.

35.9%? Are you kidding me? If you wan to pa by installments, just pay NCL directly per month. All you have to do is divide your total payment due by the months to final payment, and you have your payment interest free.

It might not be a bad option if you've booked last minute. Get your cruise now, and pay it off after. 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:24 PM, 1midsun said:

We book pretty far ahead and then just save the money in a separate account, and make the final payment on the due date.

We do the same🙂

It's just another option for those who may not have another option.  It's great that none of you folks need to finance it this way.  Like me, consider yourself fortunate.  I usually book last minute deals myself, usually the sailaway rate as I don't need any of the "free" perks.