Are people really going to the MDRs in robes and bare feet?

WonderMan3

While this isn’t cruise related, I just wanted to share - we were in a hotel in Berlin last week on Easter Sunday when an entire family in PJ’s got out of the elevator after having breakfast downstairs.  Just call me old but can’t you take the time to get dressed before going to dine, anywhere, anytime?  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, citronella said:

Guaranteed if they are going in bathrobes and bare feet, they are multi-tonging.

When I wear my bathrobe to the MDR no one is allowed close to me with a single tong, let alone a multi-tong!😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol....many (15+) years ago, on formal night our waiter accidentally tipped his tray and food went all over 6-8 of us. The following night, as a joke we all wore our robes to dinner. Sometimes we wonder if we are responsible for the “no robes” being mentioned 🤣

Edited by lovecruzin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I saw the washy-washy attendant turn a woman away, telling her she was not allowed to wear a robe into the buffet. The women looked very confused about the instructions. I was worried that she might just take the robe off and try again. 

Another time, two men wearing Celebrity robes and slippers, bare legs, entered the elevator as I was going up to the buffet for early morning coffee. Awkward!

So far, I haven't seen anyone enter the MDR in their robe or PJs, but it's just a matter of time.

• Like 1

I'm sure the sign is there to help the poor crew members who have to deal with guests with major attitudes who choose to ignore the dress code. How big does the type face need to be before they get it? I have seen guests in bath robes going to a spa treatment, or as a coverup from the pool to their cabin, but never to dinner!

• Like 1

I think the robe thing is taking the "I want to do things casual" waaaay too far. Eat in your room all you want, but that's what room service is for. Going out in public eating venues with nothing between your fellow cruises but a piece of terry cloth and a tie belt seems inappropriate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marelaine said:

I saw the washy-washy attendant turn a woman away, telling her she was not allowed to wear a robe into the buffet. The women looked very confused about the instructions. I was worried that she might just take the robe off and try again. 

Another time, two men wearing Celebrity robes and slippers, bare legs, entered the elevator as I was going up to the buffet for early morning coffee. Awkward!

So far, I haven't seen anyone enter the MDR in their robe or PJs, but it's just a matter of time.

Avoid the saunas in German hotels - naked is standard for everyone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twodjs said:

I'm sure the sign is there to help the poor crew members who have to deal with guests with major attitudes who choose to ignore the dress code. How big does the type face need to be before they get it? I have seen guests in bath robes going to a spa treatment, or as a coverup from the pool to their cabin, but never to dinner!

Same. That's why it surprised me. I know people wearing shorts in the dining room comes up as a semi-regular issue, but robes and bare feet...in the MDR? Who does that? Clearly it has come up as an issue though or they wouldn't need to emphasize it so boldly.

19 hours ago, suspaul said:

While this isn’t cruise related, I just wanted to share - we were in a hotel in Berlin last week on Easter Sunday when an entire family in PJ’s got out of the elevator after having breakfast downstairs.  Just call me old but can’t you take the time to get dressed before going to dine, anywhere, anytime?  

We see this a lot at hotels that offer the free breakfast buffet...like The Embassy Suites or Holiday In Express.  Especially before a cruise in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.   Recently saw multiple families dressed in PJ's at a Hyatt near Disneyland.

19 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

Lol....many (15+) years ago, on formal night our waiter accidentally tipped his tray and food went all over 6-8 of us. The following night, as a joke we all wore our robes to dinner. Sometimes we wonder if we are responsible for the “no robes” being mentioned 🤣

I don't believe it has been 15 + years ago since I have seen this, so it wasn't you...but one formal night a group of several came into the main dining room in their white robes.

13 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

And what is the problem with that?!

Sauna is supposed to be taken naked.

And if anyone is that prude, Afghanistan is a nice country to visit instead of Beautiful Europe.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never seen anyone in robes in the MDR and only once or twice in the buffet. Tbh if I saw someone in the hallways I might presume they were going to the spa, I certainly wouldn’t think anything of it.

The rule about baseball caps in the MDR is definitely not enforced, over the years I’ve seen dozens of men wearing them.

Not surprised to see such a sign.  There is just no accounting for bad taste and manners.  Even here on CC we have seen folks defending the wearing of baseball caps in the MDR.   Many guys do not understand that basic etiquette has long held that men do not wear hats indoors (with a few exceptions such as in Sports Bars).  I do understand that standards are a bit different in Texas and Oklahoma, but even those folks would agree that baseball caps are not proper (but a decent cowboy hat is acceptable anywhere).  As to the "robe people" we have also seen them defended here in various CC threads where some folks think its fine to wear robes in the Lido.

We do sometimes judge a head by its cover :).  DW and I generally do open dining schemes on cruises and usually ask to share large tables.  But once, when led to a table with a guy wearing a baseball cap (backwards) we quietly told the Maitre'd to put us elsewhere (not a problem).  And the (Maitre d) apparently did not try to seat anyone else at that table and the ball cap guy and his lady hopefully enjoyed dinner at their near empty table of 8.

Hank

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

When in Germany, do as the Germans do. If I go to a German sauna, it's up to me to adjust my expectations and undress accordingly. When I enter the locker room at my gym, I know there will be women in various stages of dress. If I go to a beach  where clothing is optional, I know what to expect. When you enter an elevator on a Celebrity cruise ship, look around, are the other passengers wearing robes and no pants?