Jump to content

So What is Really Included?


Recommended Posts

I've been following the VV Scarlet Lady with excitement and see the booking is live.  We might try to book something in 2020 as the fares don't seem to bad.  What I'm excited about is that this seems like a new experience.  We've done 10- Celebrity and an Azamara and really enjoy them, but variety is the spice of life.  They seem to be billing this as all-inclusive, but I haven't been able to find exactly what is included.  I believe gratuities, wifi, any/all dining and fitness classes are included, but what about drinks (cocktails, beer, fresh juices, soda, etc), entertainment, excursions, etc?  If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Virgin Voyages is definitely NOT all-inclusive.  They do have a few more inclusions than your traditional mass market cruise line including the ones you mentioned plus soda, but alcohol and excursions are not amongst them.  The entertainment offerings are unclear at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them have an upcharge to balance demand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, gratuities, all dining venues, and wifi are definitely inclusion most lines don't include so that's a plus.  I really didn't expect excursions to be included, but was curious.  Alcohol, even if just a "standard" package would be a nice touch. It looks like they dont offer drink packages, any idea on the cost of drinks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, Lightngsvt said:

  If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

VV is not meant to be in the same league as Azmara - more like Celebrity. You will see prices of about 1/2 that after the initial hype dies down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biker19, I'm a rider too.  But Im on a Harley not a sportbike.  Anyway, you think VV is on par with Celebrity?  The advertising and "hype" seem as though they are trying to position themselves as a luxury line, but geared more toward a younger yet affluent demographic.  Im probably 10-15 years older than their target (Millenials) but it seems like they have a somewhat fresh take on cruising.  Time will tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lightngsvt said:

  Anyway, you think VV is on par with Celebrity?  

Yes, the size of the ship and passenger count sorta determines that - luxury lines generally have ships below 100K GT and under 1500 passangers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this in the FAQs " Unlimited sparkling water, non-pressed juices, soda, sachet tea and drip coffee will be included."  

 

I assume this means you will pay by the drink "What's a holiday without a few choice cocktails? Your sailing includes our basic bevvies and, while we don't have traditional drink packages, our drink offerings are very reasonably priced."

 

"Sailors are also welcome to bring two (2) 750mL bottles of wine per cabin in carry-on bags (sorry, no liquor or beer please). Please note, any alcohol in your checked luggage will be collected pre-sailing and returned once your voyage is complete. You are also welcome to bring specialty liquors from a port of call on board. Simply hand them to our security team as you board, and we will hold them until your final night."

Edited by JennyB1977
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, Lightngsvt said:

I've been following the VV Scarlet Lady with excitement and see the booking is live.  We might try to book something in 2020 as the fares don't seem to bad.  What I'm excited about is that this seems like a new experience.  We've done 10- Celebrity and an Azamara and really enjoy them, but variety is the spice of life.  They seem to be billing this as all-inclusive, but I haven't been able to find exactly what is included.  I believe gratuities, wifi, any/all dining and fitness classes are included, but what about drinks (cocktails, beer, fresh juices, soda, etc), entertainment, excursions, etc?  If everything is truly included then $4000 (inc taxes) for a 5 night to Havana in a balcony cabin doesn't seem bad at all, we paid close to that for a 4-night Havana on Azamara last year and that wasn't all-inclusive.

You can't have a true all inclusive experience.  It is not feasible.  You can't have the spa be all inclusive, or the hair salon.  Some things just have to be an extra charge.  I think the all inclusive non alcoholic drinks, wifi, gratuities, and specialty dining is going to set Virgin apart from other mass market lines.  Hopefully it will keep the annoyingly cheap people off the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Lightngsvt said:

Well, gratuities, all dining venues, and wifi are definitely inclusion most lines don't include so that's a plus.  I really didn't expect excursions to be included, but was curious.  Alcohol, even if just a "standard" package would be a nice touch. It looks like they dont offer drink packages, any idea on the cost of drinks?

From the VV website...
beer.svg
Beer
Heineken, Amstel Light, Kalik, Narragansett 
$5-6 (Tip included)
cocktail.svg
Basic cocktail
Herradura Plata, Mount Gay, Tanqueray, Jack Daniels
$9 (Tip included)
wine.svg
Wine by the glass
42% of our wines by the glass are under $10 (Tip included)
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2020 at 12:49 PM, skridge said:

I think the all inclusive non alcoholic drinks, wifi, gratuities, and specialty dining is going to set Virgin apart

 

i agree, although the only non-alcoholic drinks that they offer included that are different from most lines are sodas.   Drip coffee, non-pressed juices and such are typically included on all lines in my experience

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 9:01 AM, waterbug123 said:

 

i agree, although the only non-alcoholic drinks that they offer included that are different from most lines are sodas.   Drip coffee, non-pressed juices and such are typically included on all lines in my experience

Did you miss sparkling water? That's a pretty good inclusion. I did a MSC  t/a last year, was drinking Pellegrino the whole voyage, and eating their great pizza(for a cruise ship).

PS- I don't know if they will serve Pellegrino but I like the idea.

Edited by bones774
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, bones774 said:

Did you miss sparkling water? That's a pretty good inclusion. I did a MSC  t/a last year, was drinking Pellegrino the whole voyage, and eating their great pizza(for a cruise ship).

PS- I don't know if they will serve Pellegrino but I like the idea.

Agree on both counts. Although the complementary bottled water is only for bookings from the U.S. (Not sure about Canada) which was a concession to Americans not being accustomed to ONLY being served for-fee bottled Water at meals without any option of complementary 'tap' water available.  Having said that I have been in various European countries that have served tap water in restaurants at request for no fee.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Agree on both counts. Although the complementary bottled water is only for bookings from the U.S. (Not sure about Canada) which was a concession to Americans not being accustomed to ONLY being served for-fee bottled Water at meals without any option of complementary 'tap' water available.  Having said that I have been in various European countries that have served tap water in restaurants at request for no fee.

 

Yeah, it seemed that MSC was working thru some glitches with the free Pellegrino water, only avail at some times and at some stations. I quickly stocked up when possible and had more than i could drink.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...