Baby Supplies in Ports of Call

abbeytravelstheworld

We will be cruising for 14 nights in June with our 10 month old travelling to Miami to begin from New Zealand. How have you all found baby supplies to be in ports of call. I plan to bring all the possible necessary medicines etc. but was wondering if i really need to bring 2 weeks supply of diapers with me or if i would be able to restock somewhere along the way. On board the ship he'll be fine food wise but i was planning on taking a pouch style fruit baby food off with us in each port for lunch during the day if we are out and about. Again is it easy to stock up on those somewhere?

If it makes a difference our ports of call are:

Roatan

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Havana

Ochos Rios

Cayman Islands

Thanks so much!

Your cruise starts in Miami, and calls back there in the middle of your B2B.  I am hoping you are coming in a day early to Miami.  It will be easy to buy diapers/wipes in Miami, just ask your hotel if they have a shuttle to shopping area, particularly to a WalMart.  You can get the diapers/wipes there.  If it is a Super WalMart, you can get the baby food there, too, but it might not be the variety your child likes.  On your turnaround day in Miami, get off the ship early and get a taxi/uber/lyfft to WalMart again if you need to resupply.  You might visit the Florida Departures board here, under North American Homeports for more specific suggestions from locals.  Armonia ports at Punta Langosta pier in Cozumel and I haven't been to that pier.  I know that the other two have convenience stores in the immediate tourist/port shopping area.  But Punta Langosta is right downtown and you might be able to get someone to direct you to a shop where you can buy diapers if necessary.  I wouldn't count on finding anything near the tourist areas in any of the other ports.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

yes, if you stop in Miami - stock up in Miami.

We've been to all of the above ports (except Havana), and I once had an emergency and had to buy feminine products at a Costa Maya port. Boy, they were priced at a super premium, and were not the brand that I use and used to. The same pads were priced even higher at the Cozumel port. We went to Roatan first, and there was nothing there - no stores nearby.

In Cozumel you could walk to a store nearby outside of the port, but once again - you may not find the brands you like or trust.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Depending on your cruise line some offer baby supplies that you can order ahead of time (Royal Caribbean for sure), butnthey are more expensive.  Was just in Cozumel a few months ago and I know that you can definitely find wipes and diapers in port.  I would be much more cautious about food or formula.

Thanks everyone. We actually fly right into Miami and straight onto the ship so i won't have time to stock up on our arrival day. We don't have a car seat and for Miami we'll be doing a full day excursion so we won't have a chance on our turnaround day either. I can bring from home if i have to but it would be good to stock up a little in case of emergency!!

We went to Havana last August with our then 8.5m baby. Do not plan on buying anything there. In fact, I brought extra to share. I bought all of my supplies in Miami the day before we board at Publix. 

I would just bring 2 weeks supplies of diapers. I did that when we went to Singapore and Malaysia a few months ago for over 2 weeks even though we could have bought stuff there. Distributed between mine and DH's suitcase. I figure as we go through the diapers, we made room for souvenirs which we did!

We were with RCI and had considered ordering for delivery but it was so much more expensive and I did not want to count on someone else for diapers! It worked find the way we did it. 

• Like 2

What cruise line are you traveling with? I did not think they allow less than 12 months old to travel on an itinerary with more than a few sea days in a row. Coming from NZ, won't you have more than 2 in a row?

3 hours ago, chinita415 said:

What cruise line are you traveling with? I did not think they allow less than 12 months old to travel on an itinerary with more than a few sea days in a row. Coming from NZ, won't you have more than 2 in a row?

Yes flying from New Zealand into Miami . We only have 2 sea days in total for the whole cruise,

Ah I see flying in from NZ. Wow that's such a packed schedule with no down time in Miami.

Just bring everything from home if you can't make time in Miami. I guess without a carseat you are severely limited. You won't drive at all the rest of the trip?

You don't want to be without diapers. We were just on a cruise out of LA and there was a wedding on board. One of the guests who came on just for the wedding had to ask me for diapers because they forgot. I thought they forgot for the whole cruise. Thankfully it was just for a few hours.

Edited by chinita415

We will be driving in Cuba but from what i've been told the majority of cars there don't have seat belts so attaching a car seat would not be possible even if we did bring one. We have airport transfers booked which provide car seats and then we are doing excursions through the cruise line that go by larger bus or on foot everywhere else.

Good thing we have a large travel bag for our stroller to jam all these diapers in!!

I'd recommend going to the buffet on the first breakfast, bringing a large bag and stocking up on yogurt, fruit and boxed cereal.  That way, you'll always have something to feed your child in your room.  I don't know if you can bring sealed yogurt off the ship, but you can bring sealed cereal boxes (bringing fruit of the ship is  absolutely forbidden since it risks damaging local crops).  I've always traveled with older children, but would imagine the main dining room would be willing to provide you with purreed vegetables for your child upon request.  

We've done most of these ports with children, and this is a great itinerary for a family.  Your child might be too young for these things but for an older child please note the following excursions:

In Roatan, Bodden adventures can provide private transportation wherever you want to go on the island.  My children really liked the iguana farm and visiting the monkeys at Bodden's house.   

In Costa Maya, we had a wonderful time visiting nearby minor Mayan ruins, and then have lunch prepared in front of us by Mayan grandmothers through Native Choice.  The only issue with them - at least it was 4 years ago - is that their office isn't that close to the port.  It's a fairly long 4 blocks.  They warn you about that at booking, and recommend a cab if you have disabilities, but there were no cabs in port at the time we disembarked (they were available later).  Also, if your dock is far from the port exit there is - or at least there was four years ago - a miniature tram to take you closer to the port exit.

In Ochos Rios, there is a very nice animal experience at Dolphin Cove, in which you can feed lovebirds in your hands and meet dolphins and swim with stingrays.  IT's located right next to Dunn's river falls, which isn't particularly accessible for children.  You can stop for a really good jerk chicken lunch at Scotchie's, which is a chain across Jamaica.  We used  Richard Brooks at excursionochorios@gmail.com for transportation in Jamaica.

In the Grand Cayman Island, in addition to stingray city, the turtle farm is interesting.

Edited by kitkat343

14 hours ago, abbeytravelstheworld said:

Thanks everyone. We actually fly right into Miami and straight onto the ship so i won't have time to stock up on our arrival day. We don't have a car seat and for Miami we'll be doing a full day excursion so we won't have a chance on our turnaround day either. I can bring from home if i have to but it would be good to stock up a little in case of emergency!!

one of you can take an uber to the nearest walmart/walgreens/cvs/publix/kroger and get your stuff there.

Trust me, you'll be better off getting stuff in Miami than rely on other countries.

P.S. You are landing in the US on the morning of the cruise? Well, that's risky. We fly from Atlanta to FLL the morning of, and many people consider that pretty risky.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

Yup no seatbelts in Cuba. I wore baby in a carrier during our classic car ride. I was very hesitant but glad I did it

Agree with concerns about flying in morning of cruise and also stocking up in Miami via Uber with one adult.

We did take yogurt and boxed cereal off the ship.

sorry - I forgot - since you are flying in the day of from New Zealand, travel insurance is definitely necessary.  If you don't already  have it, try insure mytrip to get quotes from lots of companies.  And unless your health insurance covers it, make sure you have medical evacuation insurance, since it would cost a lot to be helicoptered to a nearby hospital if necessary.  

Buy everything you'll need in Miami...much better prices and variety. I've been to several of these ports and haven't noticed any big box stores, etc.

I was in San Juan last month and they do have a CVS and Walgreens within walking distance of the ship. I almost wish I did need something since both stores were so close!

19 hours ago, akeasley said:

I was in San Juan last month and they do have a CVS and Walgreens within walking distance of the ship. I almost wish I did need something since both stores were so close!

I actually needed something and was very happy to discover both CVS and Walgreens right in front of the port exit. I forgot my hair brush at home... PR was our first stop on day 3. I bought a hairbrush for $7, the same brush is $4 at home. But to add insult to injury - that was the end of our cruise, since the ship broke down right there during our very first stop.

But OP is not going to Puerto Rico anyway. :)

I now use this brush as my travel brush - I keep it in the suitcase so I never forget it. :)

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

We were on a cruise once where we missed the last port due to weather before 5 sea days.  The parents who had planned to stock up in port were out of luck (and quite desperate).  I packed two weeks of diapers for my twins by stuffing them in all the outer pockets of the suitcases.  You can fit a remarkable number and it's a perfect place for them since they can't be damaged and don't weigh a lot if spread out over many suitcases.  Bring more than you think you need of diapers and wipes.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1