Cruise Critic Community
lianaks

Crown Specialty Restaurants and MDR question

It has been many years since I sail on Princess, here the questions:

In Specialty dinning such as Crown Grill, can I order more than 1 main dishes or appetizers or desserts?

Also in MDR can I order more than 1 main dishes or appetizer or desserts?

Posted (edited)

No more. Extra charge in crown grill dining room still ok. 

Edited by oskidunker

In Sabatini's I know you can order all the appetizers + the main course without any extra charge. I doubt that many people can eat every appetizer and also the main course but you can try. There was an extra charge for additional main courses. 

It becomes embarrassing to have them bring the main course & say you don't want it. 

I believe the Crown grill operates the same way.

In the main DR you can order as much as you like without any extra charge.

Sabatini's on Crown Princess still has the "old" menu if I am not mistaken.

When I ate at Sabatini's on Island Princess last May (also still with the old menu) they were quite emphatic that you could have either one pasta or one main--but not both. Took quite a bit of discussion to be able to get an appetizer sized portion of pasta as a starter. Later in the year on Golden Princess with the "new" Sabatini's Trattoria menu the set five course meal was a lot easier to decipher, and nearly twice as much food as on Island.

The menu for Crown Grill does note the addtional charge for a second main:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Crown-Grill-Menu-Sample.pdf

I don't recall seeing anyone challenged for ordering multiple entrees in the MDR on any recent cruise.

(note I am assuming that the 'Crown' in the thread title means the OP is sailing on Crown Princess and is not simply a reference to Crown Grill specialty restaurant. If mistaken much of my post may be moot)

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Sabatini's on Crown Princess still has the "old" menu if I am not mistaken.

When I ate at Sabatini's on Island Princess last May (also still with the old menu) they were quite emphatic that you could have either one pasta or one main--but not both. Took quite a bit of discussion to be able to get an appetizer sized portion of pasta as a starter. Later in the year on Golden Princess with the "new" Sabatini's Trattoria menu the set five course meal was a lot easier to decipher, and nearly twice as much food as on Island.

The menu for Crown Grill does note the addtional charge for a second main:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Crown-Grill-Menu-Sample.pdf

I don't recall seeing anyone challenged for ordering multiple entrees in the MDR on any recent cruise.

(note I am assuming that the 'Crown' in the thread title means the OP is sailing on Crown Princess and is not simply a reference to Crown Grill specialty restaurant. If mistaken much of my post may be moot)

When we went to Sabatini's in late March on the Crown you could order an appetizer, appetizer portion of pasta and a main.  This is what our experience has been on every cruise where Sabatini's had the old menu.

Edited by msmoger

One of my table mates was able to get an extra main in the MDR, even though I know the waiter looked uncomfortable with it.  I think they may be trying to implement a charge for an extra main in the MDR....maybe?  But, as of last week, there wasn't an extra charge. 

I think it only happened once or twice on a 7 night cruise where there was an insert in our menus for ordering off of the Crown Grill menu with a charge for those items.  Maybe it was there on formal nights....I really didn't notice.  I believe the charge for surf and turf was $29 per order, less if you just wanted the turf.  I can't remember the exact price, though.  

Of note, I asked the waiter if I somehow missed the escargot and he said they don't carry it anymore (as of a month ago).  The food was all excellent despite the cutbacks.