Solo Cabins

diane.in.ny

33 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

NO! I do not want to be in a closet.  UGH!!!  I do think they should offer single rates that are not 200%, at least some of the time.

Why not 200%? You are taking up a Cabin space which is usually split between 2 people so you pay what the cabin is worth so for it will be half as two people are using the cabin. IF you don't want to pay twice you need to book a solo cabin which can't be split between 2. If you have a problem or don't like reality, Don't Cruise.

6 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

Why not 200%? You are taking up a Cabin space which is usually split between 2 people so you pay what the cabin is worth so for it will be half as two people are using the cabin. IF you don't want to pay twice you need to book a solo cabin which can't be split between 2. If you have a problem or don't like reality, Don't Cruise.

Honestly  - 130% is fair for advance bookings. Considering a lot of sailings go at the last minute for considerably less than what it was before final payment - might as well sell them in advance for 130%. Right now, they are selling Alaskan cruises for $349 pp. They could have made more money on selling it previously for 130% to a solo cruiser.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

Honestly  - 130% is fair for advance bookings. Considering a lot of sailings go at the last minute for considerably less than what it was before final payment - might as well sell them in advance for 130%. Right now, they are selling Alaskan cruises for $349 pp. They could have made more money on selling it previously for 130% to a solo cruiser.

130% is unfair. What would be fair would be What they usually pay minus a 3rd berth. Because they do pay for double food although they don't get double food so take it away from the cost.

3 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

130% is unfair. What would be fair would be What they usually pay minus a 3rd berth. Because they do pay for double food although they don't get double food so take it away from the cost.

Whatever. They did 130% for decades and made a decent profit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is an interesting thought. Maybe the answer, if going solo and having to pay 200%, is waiting and booking after the final payment date. I wouldn't have a problem paying $750 for a week Alaska cruise. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem paying $70 for a week anywhere.  😁

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

Wow, enjoy your day too.

• Like 10

On the new HAL builds judging by photographs the solo cabins are barely more than the "roomettes" on overnight trains

1014solo.jpg.adeef98a1b2bb12ec8b5a8f480da35bb.jpg

(photo by rafinmd who is currently blogging live from Nieuw Statendam)

I know I have said in the past that I consider my cabin nothing more than a place to shower and sleep. But I would rather pay a single supplement than be confined to the cabin shown above. Especially if the current promo still gives me the OBC for two.

But really...there are lots of features "it would be great if Princess added" that are part of other cruiselines' business models that for reasons known only to themselves Princess chooses not to incorporate. It really isn't worth the time and keystrokes to pine after something that you know just isn't going to happen.

Edited by fishywood

4 minutes ago, fishywood said:

But really...there are lots of features "it would be great if Princess added" that are part of other cruiselines' business models that for reasons know only to themselves Princess chooses not to incorporate. It really isn't worth the time and keystrokes to pine after something that you know just isn't going to happen.

No one thought Princess would improve on 2 really bad features Princess was known for --- unorganized/cramped buffets and crappy/hard beds. Princess had these for decades and kept reproducing ships with the same cramped buffet and kept buying crappy beds. Then one day - they finally got wise. 

I agree that I don't want that small of cabin - just lower single supplement to 130-150%.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

No one thought Princess would improve on 2 really bad features Princess was known for --- unorganized/cramped buffets and crappy/hard beds. Princess had these for decades and kept reproducing ships with the same cramped buffet and kept buying crappy beds. Then one day - they finally got wise. 

I agree that I don't want that small of cabin - just lower single supplement to 130-150%.

The much improved buffets on Royal and Regal Princess have apparently come and gone with those two ships. Now we have the much criticized World Fresh Marketplace on subsequent new builds--plus two older ships "upgraded" that way (hopefully not more ensuing). 

8 minutes ago, fishywood said:

The much improved buffets on Royal and Regal Princess have apparently come and gone with those two ships. Now we have the much criticized World Fresh Marketplace on subsequent new builds--plus two older ships "upgraded" that way (hopefully not more ensuing). 

I haven't experienced World Fresh Marketplace yet and I guess I haven't looked closely at the new builds as I try to avoid large ships.

I knew the older ships could never have a Regal/Royal buffet.

Edited by Coral

I do remember getting cabins at a less than 200% solo rate, most recent 2014.

RCI rewards their frequent cruisers with a solo rate after so many points. It would be nice if Princess did that....and every so often on sailings not selling...to sent email special rates to solo cruisers.

I am Diamond+ on RCI...their 150% deal is for pax with 420pts(I believe) I am not there yet  but still on some ships have been offered 125% when booking  solo.

Yes, Princess Alaska must be getting some competition from the Mega ships. Our cruise last year stayed study after final payment and this year down 200pp.

3 minutes ago, land lover said:

Yes, Princess Alaska must be getting some competition from the Mega ships. Our cruise last year stayed study after final payment and this year down 200pp.

Princess does this ever year it seems. I have sailed many times at $299 or $399 pp.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, fishywood said:

What does the Majestic have the same set up as Regal & Royal? International market place I think..?When we went on her honestly...I got lost all the time. It is not a set up for a person like me who takes small portions and if I enjoy them go back for more....both DH and I found it way to overwhelming.

However we are booked on Royal since she is now on the West coast, mostly cuz I want to check out the medallion.

When we sailed the Sea Princess last fall for six weeks...I loved their buffet set up, and for that matter I loved that ship brought back memories..of Dawn Princess😥

Now back to solo cruising....I would certainly do more on Princess if they made adjustments.

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

Princess does this ever year it seems. I have sailed many times at $299 or $399 pp.

Well seeing that last year was my return to Alaska after 20 years..I really haven't pay much attention, after that first Southbound trip and rainy weather I had no desire to return.  

Maybe you remembering me posting last year my son treated me to a RT out of Seattle so I had nothing to lose except time...but time spent with him..can't put a price on that, so why not Alaska again😎

Anyway that is the trip I am speaking of that, an IS is down 200 or more from what we paid when I booked it in January 2018 for May 2018. The price did not fluctuate at all even after final payment, last year. But this year the 200 drop. BTW he actually paid me back🤑as I did all the booking. However, that was the EZ air from....XXXX.

We had a acceptable weather, last year still some rain but  got my blue sky glacier bay day.......I am actually returning this year doing a land tour, got my DH to agree, I wanted to check out the Princess Lodges...I am sure it will be his last time, ....we'll see about me....

Teresa...know you have gone quite a bit to Alaska maybe we both will be sailing solo on an Alaskan cruise in the future....

Edited by land lover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, land lover said:

Well seeing that last year was my return to Alaska after 20 years..I really haven't pay much attention, after that first Southbound trip and rainy weather I had no desire to return.  

Maybe you remembering me posting last year my son treated me to a RT out of Seattle so I had nothing to lose except time...but time spent with him..can't put a price on that, so why not Alaska again😎

Anyway that is the trip I am speaking of that, an IS is down 200 or more from what we paid when I booked it in January 2018 for May 2018. The price did not fluctuate at all even after final payment, last year. But this year the 200 drop. BTW he actually paid me back🤑as I did all the booking. However, that was the EZ air from....XXXX.

We had a acceptable weather, last year still some rain but  got my blue sky glacier bay day.......I am actually returning this year doing a land tour, got my DH to agree, I wanted to check out the Princess Lodges...I am sure it will be his last time, ....we'll see about me....

Teresa...know you have gone quite a bit to Alaska maybe we both will be sailing solo on an Alaskan cruise in the future....

I do remember your trip last year! And the air fiasco. 

My first trip to Alaska was 2002. It was over 4th of July and was cold, windy, foggy and alternated between rain and freezing rain. Our scenery for most of the trip was "fog". There was one day where for about an hour the fog lifted and I could see how beautiful Alaska was and was determined to find the best time to visit Alaska and went back the following May and had an amazing time. 

Have fun on your land trip. I hope you are including Seward if you haven't been. Glad your husband is going also.  I think my summer trip this year will be in Colorado. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

I do remember your trip last year! And the air fiasco. 

My first trip to Alaska was 2002. It was over 4th of July and was cold, windy, foggy and alternated between rain and freezing rain. Our scenery for most of the trip was "fog". There was one day where for about an hour the fog lifted and I could see how beautiful Alaska was and was determined to find the best time to visit Alaska and went back the following May and had an amazing time. 

Have fun on your land trip. I hope you are including Seward if you haven't been. Glad your husband is going also.  I think my summer trip this year will be in Colorado. 

If you hit Denver and like BBQ...Roaming Buffalo is a place to check out, considered number 1 in the area.Look it up...its a hole in the wall....but they have a great web site and exceptional food.

Edited by land lover