Cruise Critic Community
annmarz

Best Night time Show in Havana

Going to Havana (hopefully) in Sept on NCL.  We would like to experience some traditional Cuban music and dancing. My partner is not comfortable with taking a cab on our own, so we are trying to decide on ship's evening excursion. Anyone have any experience with the Tropicana vs. the Parisien or the Riviera?

If you scroll down this thread, there are about a half dozen threads here discussing one or both of the shows. 

You can also go to Youtube, there are videos of both to help you make a decision 

Ive done both Parisian and Tropicana and Tropicana is hands down better. You can always stop at Hotel Nacional for a drink on your way back from Tropicana-- bar there is open 24/7. Theres no reason at all to be afraid of taking a private taxi-- its alot more fun than taking a bus full of tourists and much less expensive. Because of how closely the government keeps an eye on things Havana is much safer from petty crime than just about anywhere else in the US. Its just not worth it from them and you have nothing to fear anything would happen to you by taking a taxi. 

We took taxis a number of times in Havana, including to the Tropicana one night. Our driver waited with other taxis and we easily met him after the show, He did not want to be paid until we were back at the ship terminal. Taxis there are very safe and reliable.

I have also been wondering which show is better, so thanks Annmarz for posting this question!

I was also wondering if it is necessary to book ahead or can you easily get tickets at either venue on the night?

Thanks!

On 5/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, sussanahrose said:

was also wondering if it is necessary to book ahead or can you easily get tickets at either venue on the night?

We booked ahead at the Tropicana but it wasn't full-- I would imagine they would have taken walk ins but you wouldn't have ended up as close to the main stage was we did. 

From what I've heard you can now book the Tropicana online even with a US credit card. 

Our cruise is next week.  I purchased mid range Tropicana tickets online a couple weeks ago.  I got a little worried when I heard about the travel restrictions but for now I guess it is all good.  If we don't like where they seat us I'm going to have a couple CUC's ready to see if that will get us a better seat.

My wife and I sat right at the stage. Wish we sat one tier back/higher. It's a big production and too close is not great. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:13 PM, SteveGT3 said:

My wife and I sat right at the stage. Wish we sat one tier back/higher. It's a big production and too close is not great. 

Thanks for that tip I made a note of that.

We bought the most expensive tickets sold by the Tropicana website. I suggest you buy tickets that are one price level cheaper. Those seats are one section further back from where we sat and I think would be better.

22 hours ago, SteveGT3 said:

We bought the most expensive tickets sold by the Tropicana website. I suggest you buy tickets that are one price level cheaper. Those seats are one section further back from where we sat and I think would be better.

We already got our tickets they are the mid price ones.  Thanks again.

Enjoy the show as well as your time in Havana and any other cities that you visit. We found the Cuban people to be wonderful.

We booked this as an excursion through the ship, but would rather buy our own tickets and get there ourselves.  Are there always cabs outside the port at that time of night?  Thanks. 

Tropicana has a website where you can order tickets and pay with your (US-issued) credit card. No problem at all. 

Taxis are plentiful outside the ship terminal to take you there. Our driver waited outside the theater with many other drivers, and we easily met him after the show  to take us back to the ship. We paid him for the round trip when we got back to the ship terminal.

Just now, SteveGT3 said:

Tropicana has a website where you can order tickets and pay with your (US-issued) credit card. No problem at all. 

Taxis are plentiful outside the ship terminal to take you there. Our driver waited outside the theater with many other drivers, and we easily met him after the show  to take us back to the ship. We paid him for the round trip when we got back to the ship terminal.

Thanks!  Do I just google Tropicana in Havana for the website?

Googling Tropicana Havana will give you all the info you need. I suggest that you also look at the earlier postings on this thread. It contains advice on the best ticket choices to purchase.