Jump to content

Packing tips for Alaska


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kaell116 said:

 

 

Ill have a DSLR with 3 lenses (28-75, 70-300mm and the mama of the group my 50-500mm which weighs as much as some carry on bags i swear) and a Point and Shoot for every day stuff.

 

I really am hoping that my side of the ship is facing out into the harbor in places like Ketchikan and Juneau so i can put the 50-500mm to use taking shots of the seaplanes (same as Vancouver).  All of my memory cards come with me at all times (about 15 of them) same with batteries.  The benefits of a fully kitted out camera bag.

I’ve actually changed my mind and bringing all 3 of my lenses.  Just Incase something happens with a lens. And I just purchased this 18-400mm lenses and if I have any issues with it I want a back up.    

As for memory.  I can shoot all day at car shows in RAW and never run out of space on a card so I have some spares cards but not that many. Lol. 

 

I plan on editing as I go, I don’t sleep. so I’ll free up space during the trip.    

 

As for side side of the ship.  I’m on the starboard side of the ship.  Which I think is going to be better for whale shots and nature. Rather than seeing the town.   

 

3 more days till my trip.    Tic Toc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ptroxx, I've been tracking the Radiance of the Seas since I'm now looking at a future cruise. When we were on her in May, being on the starboard side gave us only one day when we were not looking at the dock. It appears to be random and not really predictable to know which ship booked when, will be parked for the best view. I'm also watching the Westerdam since we might book on that ship instead of the Radiance next time. Today both ships are docked starboard side facing away from pier. It appears to be a crap shoot when picking port or starboard for best view.

 

As for packing memory cards, for us it was a once in a lifetime trip so I backed up all shots every night b4 retiring. Turns out, we will go back but I wasn't taking chances with memory cards taking a dump during travel. I also made sure to carry the cards separately from the portable HDD.

Edited by masterdrago
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, shark&minnow said:

All good tips! Thought you would be glad to know that Fanny Packs (now called a waist purse -fanny pack being a crude phrase for our european friends) are back in style! LOL😄 

 

On the extension cord/extra outlets discussion: This will be our 15th cruise and I have never needed extra outlets

I call mine a European Man Bag! Unless of course, it's got a DSLR packed inside. At that point it just becomes a camera bag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 2:47 AM, kaell116 said:

 

 

Ill have a DSLR with 3 lenses (28-75, 70-300mm and the mama of the group my 50-500mm which weighs as much as some carry on bags i swear) and a Point and Shoot for every day stuff.

 

I really am hoping that my side of the ship is facing out into the harbor in places like Ketchikan and Juneau so i can put the 50-500mm to use taking shots of the seaplanes (same as Vancouver).  All of my memory cards come with me at all times (about 15 of them) same with batteries.  The benefits of a fully kitted out camera bag.

 

Looking at google maps satellite photo, it looks like 3 ships dock on the port side and one on the starboard in Juneau.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 5:49 PM, LindaandJeff said:

 

Are you saying it was warm enough for shorts? By activewear style bottoms do you mean leggings? When did you wear or jeans or what kind of pants did you end up wearing? Thanks! 

I take two pairs of lightweight black pants from Duluth Trading company. They're lighter to pack than jeans, and look nice enough for the dining room. They have cargo pockets - good for excursions - and one pair is roomy enough that I can wear thin leggings underneath when  I'm on deck most of the day. 
I also take a pair of yoga pants that I can wear around the ship with a nice long-sleeve t-shirt. 
I do like to dress up a little for dinner so I take a pair of black leggings and 3 nice tunics, with a pair of black flats that also go with my dress for the formal nights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, elainmir said:

I have my own personal summer. Seriously.  Sweat city right here...so I'm taking my waterproof rain poncho and layering ..will bring my jacket but it says our 10 day forecast has a few days that are 57 but mostly high 60's.  So I don't have a ton of long pants ..mostly capris...and normally am in minimal clothing in those temps...I'll bring the long pants but have a feeling I'm wasting luggage space

I hear ya! For me, anything over 65 is way too hot. I probably won't take capris, but definitely things I can pick and choose to layer with a waterproof raincoat on top. For me that might mean a long sleeved shirt and the raincoat. Sweating already just thinking about the raincoat. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I had taken a water proof pants with me    I have them. Just didn’t bring them.  

When it rained in Ketchikan the rain would drip down to my jeans and the wind would get them wet.  And lean against anything and there wet.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

 

Just an FYI, power strips are often confiscated as they can be a fire hazard. 😬

 

"Surge protectors, when used on ships, even when brand new, and operating 100% correctly, can fail and cause a fire, due to something completely out of your control, that happens at the other end of the ship." (That quote is from chengkp75 here on CC, who is a ship engineer.)

 

RCI has banned all power strips, just to ensure compliance with no surge protectors. Since Celebrity and RCL are owned by the same company, I would assume the rules are the same.

I thought you could use a multi-outlet strip as long as it does not have a surge protector.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, simplelife said:

I thought you could use a multi-outlet strip as long as it does not have a surge protector.

 

I was on ovation last year and there was big pile of confiscated strips when we got off the boat. I carry one of those 1-3 plugs with two prongs and no protection and a usb hub.

image.png.b6f4eb04c99383fc9b79aa31ab2070fe.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

AlanF65 - where did you get this?  In the hope that we might actually get to go on our rescheduled Alaska cruise next June, I'd like to get one of these... Thanks!

I bought a few of them on Amazon. The have quite an assortment. I thought they were two prong but they are 3 prong.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-3-Outlet-Grounded/dp/B01LY5WZVT/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=triple+plug&qid=1597432918&sr=8-15

 

You can also get something like this and plug it into the "european" plugs for your USB

 

https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-LENCENT-Worldwide-International/dp/B077VFGNYZ/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=triple+plug+with+european+plug&qid=1597433145&sr=8-7

 

 

Edited by AlanF65
add more information
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, AlanF65 said:

 

Bought this last year for DS who studies in London. It is super handy and I would definitely recommend it for making use of the non-US outlets on the ship. And for any other international  travel you may do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 1:08 PM, AlanF65 said:

I was on ovation last year and there was big pile of confiscated strips when we got off the boat. I carry one of those 1-3 plugs with two prongs and no protection and a usb hub.

image.png.b6f4eb04c99383fc9b79aa31ab2070fe.png

 

I have something  similar, Mine has a USB port too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for the helpful packing tips.  I do have a question.  We are going mid August.  What does one where for dinner? Should I pack capris and sandals(summer outfit) or longer pants and boots or closed toe shoes?

Trying to get a better idea since I do not want to overpack and pay for extra luggage on the plane.

Thank you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You wear the same as June or July, as, generally, the weather will be similar. Maybe a greater chance of rain in August. 

 

As mentioned here frequently, it is all about layers off the ship. In all months, you should have with you,  a choice of layers, with the outer layer being wind and water proof. We did a 14 day sailing in June 2019, and wore every possible combo, from high 70s and crystal clear (shorts, sandals) to low 50s and drizzle. To low 40s, or possibly lower near Hubbard Glacier, with our heaviest jackets on. 

 

Also mentioned here frequently...the weather can change several times each day...another reason for layers, but also causing confusion as to what to wear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, Clairescurtains said:

I found a waterproof envelope/holder for my phone at WallMart for about 6$, thanks for that suggestion. I have also found some duck boots at a resonable price, I am ready to pack but will delay a couple more weeks to avoid wrinkles. 

I have decided to leave my winter coat at home and just take the raincoat plus a fleece jacket, hoodie and regular tops. I do plan on taking some exercise pants that can be put under jeans if I don't eat too much.

 

The raincoat is almost knee length and should keep my pants dryer than the disposable type we used last year at Disney. I got soaked several times on that trip.😵 At least it was warm there. 

 

Thanks to everyone for their advice

 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, ErLee said:

 

I went back and forth about the camera for our 2 week trip last month, but I ended up taking all my pictures with my Android phone because it was simple, lightweight, and always with me. I don't have mad camera skills, but I think my pictures turned out great! You can check them out if you're interested in my trip report over in the trip reports thread 😃

 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, Anita Latte said:

 

I purchased what they call a rugged point and shoot for Alaska. Waterproof, though I don’t anticipate taking underwater photos, I just didn’t want to worry about taking pictures in the rain, or while whale watching, or on our kayaking and fishing excursions. I purchased one with decent enough specs...and planned to do some photo editing afterwards and that turned out very well. I also picked one that I could handle well if I was wearing gloves (Glacier day). The shape of the Ricoh WG-50 I bought last year was great. And I made sure I had the fastest writing sd card the camera could handle.

 

i love the rugged style because you don’t need a case...just put it in your pocket, any pocket and it’s good to go. I did to play with it before leaving and I think that’s important. I figured out and found a handy lens cloth, which is the only thing that is sometimes affected by pocket travel.

 

When I purchased, the price was $250...pretty much the upper limit of what I was willing to pay for another camera. I like the recharge via usb. I would generally take this camera out on excursions and then use my other point and shoot or phone on the ship while the rugged charged. Then I would charge my normal point and shoot during the day. Worked very well for me.

 

my TR link is in the 2018 sticky.

 

On 8/8/2019 at 12:49 AM, Ptroxx said:

Me I’m bringing dslr with one lens. 18-400mm.  Also bringing a simple pocket point and shoot.    Also bringing a Gopro to take video on the ship.   I’ll pack a carry on with all my gear and change of close just Incase. Also grabbed a few extra memory cards and bringing a few external backup batteries.    


I’m wondering about camera selection as well. I know we’ll have our cell phones with us. Thanks for suggesting a waterproof pouch to keep them safe!  We will certainly bring our tough camera because it takes decent pictures and can get wet and dropped. The one I’m not sure about is our dslr.  We will have so many clothes to bring that may not make the cut. I’m not that good with it anyhow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I’m wondering about camera selection as well. I know we’ll have our cell phones with us. Thanks for suggesting a waterproof pouch to keep them safe!  We will certainly bring our tough camera because it takes decent pictures and can get wet and dropped. The one I’m not sure about is our dslr.  We will have so many clothes to bring that may not make the cut. I’m not that good with it anyhow. 

I'm going on a non-cruise to Alaska this summer, and that changed my camera plans. For a cruise, I would have taken a DSLR plus both telephoto and wide-angle lenses (wide-angle can be good for landscapes and inside buildings). But my non-cruise includes two flights on Alaska Airlines, where I don't get a free checked bag, and three stays on land, so I'm going to pack lighter. I'll be taking a compact superzoom camera, which is a little bigger than a pocket camera and somewhat heavier, plus a waterproof pocket camera, along with a flotation wrist strap for the waterproof camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm going on a non-cruise to Alaska this summer, and that changed my camera plans. For a cruise, I would have taken a DSLR plus both telephoto and wide-angle lenses (wide-angle can be good for landscapes and inside buildings). But my non-cruise includes two flights on Alaska Airlines, where I don't get a free checked bag, and three stays on land, so I'm going to pack lighter. I'll be taking a compact superzoom camera, which is a little bigger than a pocket camera and somewhat heavier, plus a waterproof pocket camera, along with a flotation wrist strap for the waterproof camera.

We learned our lesson about not using a flotation strap with our waterproof camera when ours ended up on the bottom of the ocean on a snorkeling excursion in St John. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We learned our lesson about not using a flotation strap with our waterproof camera when ours ended up on the bottom of the ocean on a snorkeling excursion in St John. 

 

Cameras cell phones or binoculars should have a wrist strap or lanyard attached to the device.

Moisture or water proof even if dunked in water at least there is the possibility of salvage

of the device or pieces and parts.

With cameras getting the memory card saved can be a blessing.

With cell phones retrieving as much data and pictures before pure out and out failure occurs.

If you don't use a securing strap on your equipment you can be flirting with a disaster.

Dropped from a balcony 7 decks down oops - - -

Knocked from the edge of a hot tub - really steaming hot pictures - - -

Taking that selfie - remind self to get a grip - - -

Caution the creatures at the bottom of the Marianas Trench don't need to see what

global warming is doing topside - - -   

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

If you don't use a securing strap on your equipment you can be flirting with a disaster.

Dropped from a balcony 7 decks down oops - - -

Knocked from the edge of a hot tub - really steaming hot pictures - - -

Taking that selfie - remind self to get a grip - - -

Caution the creatures at the bottom of the Marianas Trench don't need to see what

global warming is doing topside - - - 

 

I know all too well that I am the sort of person to whom those things happen (maybe not the hot tub).

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 day Alaska cruise in September coming up.

 

Current clothing game plan:

2 black leggings (can be layered/worn under jeans for additional warmth)

2 jeans/pants

1 waterproof pants

2 short sleeve flannel shirts

2 short sleeve shirts/tunics

2 long sleeve flannel shirts

1 fleece pullover

1 fleece vest

1 raincoat with hood

Gloves

1 dress for elegant nights

Underwear/socks/lounge pants for in room

2 pairs of shoes

 

Too much? The plan is to get everything into one suitcase....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LadyMac72 said:

8 day Alaska cruise in September coming up.

 

Current clothing game plan:

2 black leggings (can be layered/worn under jeans for additional warmth)

2 jeans/pants

1 waterproof pants

2 short sleeve flannel shirts

2 short sleeve shirts/tunics

2 long sleeve flannel shirts

1 fleece pullover

1 fleece vest

1 raincoat with hood

Gloves

1 dress for elegant nights

Underwear/socks/lounge pants for in room

2 pairs of shoes

 

Too much? The plan is to get everything into one suitcase....

 

What are you wearing to dinner the other nights?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...