Jump to content

Guaranteed room assignments


DocJohnB
 Share

Recommended Posts

First, the search function on this site is miserable and I have indeed tried the "search" function.

 

Second, as can be seen, I am not a newbie here on cruise critic - but I still think the search function is miserable.

 

So now, the question.  What is the current feeling amongst posters as to when "guaranteed" cabin assignments will be made by HAL.  I have a "guaranteed" inside cabin and leave in 12 days on the Zaandam.  On Saturday, I received the "Your cruise documents are now ready" email, but no cabin assignment, ergo, no luggage tag availability.  Hopefully, not pier side.

 

 

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We received 7 of our 9 gty assignments at 11 or 10 days out, and the closest one at 3 days out, so you will probably get yours in the next few days. You can print your bag tags without the room number and just write it in with a Sharpie when you learn it.  Or you can just get tags from a porter at the pier.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MY TA asked that question of HAL last week and was told they start assigning Guarantees 15 days prior to sailing.   Now, does that mean they actually start assigning rooms or is that when they start the upsell process?????  I suspect that is when they begin with the upselling since I have never been assigned that early.  The one time I got an earlier  assignment HAL changed it prior to sailing because they had sold my cabin to someone who needed a cabin for three.  

Edited by oaktreerb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

MY TA asked that question of HAL last week and was told they start assigning Guarantees 15 days prior to sailing.   Now, does that mean they actually start assigning rooms or is that when they start the upsell process?????  I suspect that is when they begin with the upselling since I have never been assigned that early.  The one time I got an earlier  assignment HAL changed it prior to sailing because they had sold my cabin to someone who needed a cabin for three.  

Upsells are done much sooner. We have received our GTY assignments as early as 25 days in advance, and as little as 8 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nsteph3 said:

We just received ours for our upcoming cruise. It was 9 days out when it appeared on my luggage tags. The email saying documents were ready came two days later. 

 

Actually the email said there was a change to our upcoming reservation. We also received the email saying documents were ready prior to getting an assignment 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, syesmar said:

When are upsells usually done?  Have never had a travel agent notify me before, so am curious about the timing.

Thanks!

They usually start a short time after final payment, and before GTY assignments. So, say, 30-40 days out from sailing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, syesmar said:

When are upsells usually done?  Have never had a travel agent notify me before, so am curious about the timing.

Thanks!

It seems to depend on how well the cruise is selling.  On my Jan. cruise, which was selling well, the upsells came about 1-2 weeks out.  On my April cruise, which was not selling well, it was 4 weeks out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DW and I do a lot of guarantees :).  With HAL (and most cruise lines) the timing of cabin assignments really does vary from cruise to cruise.   On HAL we generally will get our cabin assignment around 7-10 days prior to the cruise...but there are exceptions.  In fact, there are times when a cabin assignment may not be known until you arrive at the port....although this is rare.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Thanks so much for the replies! I read through some other "Upsell" Threads and noticed mention of being proactive and calling.  Is this something I'm able to do without first being contacted by HAL?  Thanks!

I have tried this a couple of times without success.  Funny story on my recent (April) cruise:

 

I noticed a big price drop on Neptune suites (I was booked in a Signature) 30 prior to sailing, so I called my HAL PCC and asked her to see if HAL would take $200 pp to upsell me on our one week cruise to a SB Neptune.  The posted prices at that time between the Signature and Neptunes was only $100, so I thought I was being very fair about it at $200.  HAL turned down my offer, referencing the low fare I booked under.  THEN, TWO DAYS LATER, I get an email from HAL offering to upsell me to a Neptune (SA) for $99 !!  Of course I jumped on it immediately and got a great room in a very good location.

 

Moral of the story - HAL has set procedures on these things and unless you happen to find exactly the right person, you are unlikely to get it done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I have tried this a couple of times without success.  Funny story on my recent (April) cruise. . . Moral of the story - HAL has set procedures on these things and unless you happen to find exactly the right person, you are unlikely to get it done. 

Wow!  Thanks for sharing and for the advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

In fact, there are times when a cabin assignment may not be known until you arrive at the port....although this is rare.

 

Once we got an assignment 11 days out and then a re-assignment (higher) the day before. I think we were the beneficiaries of someone's cancellation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Once we got an assignment 11 days out and then a re-assignment (higher) the day before. I think we were the beneficiaries of someone's cancellation.

I had the same thing happen in Feb. Moved from an outside cabin to a balcony. I received the notice on Friday before a Sunday sailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all who have responded.  No assignment yet, but not terribly worried about it.

As I alluded to in my OP my main concern is "luggage tags".  Once on another line, I had purchased the cruise about 10 days prior to a cruise in a guaranteed inside.  Got to the pier and the guy collecting luggage looked at a list and said OK here it is and filled out 3 tags.  He was either in a hurry or possibly dyslexic.  Didn't get the luggage until almost 10:30 and a few trips trips to the guest relations.  The porter had transposed numbers and the luggage actually sat outside two different staterooms.

Hopefully that will not happen this time.  (Besides I now know to walk the passageways looking if it does). 

Edited by DocJohnB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DocJohnB said:

Thanks to all who have responded.  No assignment yet, but not terribly worried about it.

As I alluded to in my OP my main concern is "luggage tags".  Once on another line, I had purchased the cruise about 10 days prior to a cruise in a guaranteed inside.  Got to the pier and the guy collecting luggage looked at a list and said OK here it is and filled out 3 tags.  He was either in a hurry or possibly dyslexic.  Didn't get the luggage until almost 10:30 and a few trips trips to the guest relations.  The porter had transposed numbers and the luggage actually sat outside two different staterooms.

Hopefully that will not happen this time.  (Besides I now know to walk the passageways looking if it does). 

We have heard a similar story from another cruiser :(.  To the extent possible, we try to glance at luggage tags at both the airport and cruise port (when a port worker puts on tags) to verify they are correct.  We have never had a problem at a port, but we have stopped a few airline clerks from mis-tagging (if that is a word) our luggage.

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny story - a while back I had to have the porter on the dock put on my luggage tags.  He asked for my cabin number and it was 007 (Maasdam I think).  He asks for the name, so I had to say " Bond, James " .  I sure cracked him up with that one!

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick follow-up.  Happened to do my nightly check on my documents status and discovered that I had received my cabin assignment.

And, in a rather nice surprise, I was upgraded from and inside guarantee to an Ocean View.  Pretty much all the way forward on the Dolphin Deck, port side (1806) (only a Handicap Ocean View forward of me).  I believe from deck plans it has 2 portholes vice a window, but I will take it and am glad to get it.

So, for me, the answer to my original question is room assignment was 10 days out.

Again, thanks to all who responded to my OP.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...