1st time cruiser overwhelmed

One of the best things about cruising for me is being able to plan as much or as little as I want! So if all the choices on the cruise planner stresses you out, I would say forget about it and just go with the flow once you board the ship. I do agree with the posters above about travel insurance and packing lists.  Otherwise, if there are some must-see or must-do items you have in mind, I would suggest planning for those and letting the rest be an adventure.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:18 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

One thing I loved, way more than I thought I would, was the train in Skagway.  Best views on the way up are one the “drivers side” of the train.

Yes,  I remember this as being a great excursion!  Hope your first cruise is great.  Do not be overwhelmed by the options that are offered.  The cruise line wants to sell you as much extra stuff as they can.  The poster who suggested booking an excursion or two ahead of time and leave plenty of free time gave you good advice IMO.  There will be excursions available to book once you are onboard...maybe not every excursion, though, so if there is something you REALLY want to do, book that ahead.   Enjoy your first cruise!

On 4/29/2019 at 3:22 PM, CruiseBliss04 said:

Hi everyone!  I posted in a general new cruiser section, and got suggestions to post over here.  My husband, myself and our 2 school age kids are all taking our first cruise later this summer.  We are going to Alaska (out of Seattle) on Royal Caribbean and I am completely overwhelmed.  I have no idea where to start.  I thought cruising was to be easy, but there are so many decisions to be made.  Where do I even start?

Congratulations! We did an Alaskan cruise that was an extended celebration for a 50th wedding anniversary, round trip out of Seattle (different line). Try not to be overwhelmed at all the choices and just know you won't be able to do it all. We had 4 kids (middle school and high school with us). Our kids did use the pools indoor and outdoor, (we are from Wisconsin, so what if it's 60 degrees out?) so you may want to make sure you also have swimwear packed for your kids.

Depending on the port you may find you can do a few things on your own without buying an excursion. Two examples for us, in Sitka we got off and walked. It is a walkable town. We sought out the Russian/American history of the area and walked to the Sitka National Historical Park where we learned more about the Tingit and Russian experiences. In Victoria we also walked around the town. We peaked around the historic Fairmont Hotel. There are water taxi's there as well you can use to explore.

Each family did their own thing, and so in Juneau we did a whale watch/glacier tour but we also took our kids up the tram and had lunch at the Red Dog Saloon. We also called in Ketchikan. If we had called at Skagway the entire 10 of us would have done the train, but we called at Ketchikan and did the Bering Fisherman's Tour there.

I know I would love to go back to Alaska again! Have fun and enjoy 🙂

One of the best things about cruising is you don't have to plan much.  There are a ton of people onboard whose job is to feed and entertain you and clean your room.

I just reserved another cruise for October.  Then made hotel reservations and flight reservations.  Since we are on one of the large ships (Allure), I also made dinner reservations because we like eating with the same waiters every night, even in MyTime Dining.  That's it!

Over the next few months we will research tours available through the ship and independent operators and book whatever we want.  With RCI tours we need to watch the prices after booking because sometimes they go down.

On a large ship you can't book entertainment until about 120 days out, so will watch for that.  Most ships you just show up.

The biggest problem in Alaska is the price of tours.  Floatplane tours can be $400pp.  But there are lots of things that don't cost much.  Follow the creek upstream in Ketchikan and you will arrive at a fish hatchery.  Go a bit farther and will get to the totem pole museum.  Or see the logger show.  Juneau is either Mendenhall Glacier (now costs a lot just to take a bus there, though), or whale watching.  Skagway is the train (but we like the rafting through the Eagle Preserve).  You don't have to spend a lot of money up there but certainly can.

Do your research into what you and your family want to do and enjoy.  Budget for the gratuities and make sure you have passports or birth certificates.  Check this board and the port boards for more information.