Elevator usage by ADA persons

On 4/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, katiel53 said:

No one would know I have medical problems just by looking at me.  I have a restrictive lung problem and cannot walk more than a few feet without running out of breath.  I can not do stairs.

I have learned in my many cruises that if I need to be somewhere at a specific time on a cruise, I need to leave earlier just in case I can't get an elevator when I want/need it.  No one is going to be responsible for me except me.

I know there are some on elevators who feel they should get on before everyone else and don't care about people in scooters etc.  That, from my experience, is not the norm.  More times than not, people are helpful by holding the doors, making room etc to allow the handicapped to board.  My husband used a scooter for several cruises and never had a problem.  He did not feel "entitled" to any special treatment and the majority of times people allowed him to enter the elevator before them.

I don't think a special elevator for those in wheel chairs or scooters would work because there are those who wouldn't wait for that elevator if it didn't appear as soon as the cruiser felt it should  as well as others who felt they should be able to ride the handicapped elevator just because. 

I have the same issue!  

11 hours ago, klfrodo said:

If the scooter and others who feel they need a dedicated elevator, I say Make It So. However, be careful what you ask for. Don’t even think about getting on a non scooter elevator. You now have your own Special dedicated Elevator. Not my problem that it’s at the other end of the ship.

👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, peterhof said:

How rude of you to suggest that we the disabled are somehow second rate citizens and must not go on the same holidays as the fit and able. I must remind you that there are international laws surrounding disabled people and in fact whilst sailing in EU waters there are some very strict extra laws that forbid anybody offering accomodation from excluding and not providing for the disabled.

You are way off here. Nobody said anyone is a second rate Citizen. Nobody is excluding disabled People.

There is no law saying disabled People Need to have priority Elevator Access. I don´t care what anyones Need to use the Elevator is. Everybody can wait their turn disabled or not.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2019 at 6:33 AM, chengkp75 said:

"Remember, the passenger drill is also training for the crew, as this is the only time the crew gets to experience performing their duties while "herding cats" with an actual large group of uncomprehending or uncooperative passengers."

What bothers me is the people who rush by a person in a scooter or wheelchair because they can.  It doesn’t matter to them that the handicapped person has been waiting longer for an elevator.  Most people have common courtesy, but unfortunately some do not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

... Everybody can wait their turn disabled or not.

I suspect that most will agree with this. What the statement ignores is the fact that when a disabled person's rightful turn comes up, for one reason or another they are unable to board the elevator. Perhaps the elevator is full enough that there is no space for a scooter/wheelchair even though there is room for another person or three.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

What bothers me is the people who rush by a person in a scooter or wheelchair because they can.  It doesn’t matter to them that the handicapped person has been waiting longer for an elevator.  Most people have common courtesy, but unfortunately some do not.

No disagreement with you. This can happen to able bodied People as well. Sometime people rush in front of them too. Unfortunately this will be a Problem that will continue to exist and it´s certainly not limited to the Topic on Hand. 

16 minutes ago, broberts said:

I suspect that most will agree with this. What the statement ignores is the fact that when a disabled person's rightful turn comes up, for one reason or another they are unable to board the elevator. Perhaps the elevator is full enough that there is no space for a scooter/wheelchair even though there is room for another person or three.

Of Course this can happen, just as it happens to non handicapped People as well. An Elevator might come up that is fully packed and the next one might have room for the Tiny Lady but not for me the big guy. That´s life. Now we can discuss the issue if it´s Right for People arriving after the wheelchair user slipping into an Elevator having roo mfor them, but not the Wheelchair, or if they have to let that one go and Keep waiting. I´d say let them go, as have them waiting doesn´t help anyone, it just stretches the Problem By not full utilizing the Elevators.

30 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

It's all a farce anyhow, in a real emergency there would be panic and as what happened on the Costa ship that sank, the crew, including the captain, will be the first to get in a LBoat. 

A friend of mine was crew on a cruise ship and when he started, the first thing his cabin sharers told him was how to be one of the first off the ship if the order to abandon was given out.

Just now, 123funcruiser said:

...Of Course this can happen, just as it happens to non handicapped People as well. An Elevator might come up that is fully packed and the next one might have room for the Tiny Lady but not for me the big guy. That´s life. Now we can discuss the issue if it´s Right for People arriving after the wheelchair user slipping into an Elevator having roo mfor them, but not the Wheelchair, or if they have to let that one go and Keep waiting. I´d say let them go, as have them waiting doesn´t help anyone, it just stretches the Problem By not full utilizing the Elevators.

I don't think you appreciate the fact that at busy times a person or couple may not be able to board once or twice but a scooter user may have to watch five, six, seven or more cars stop before there is one that can be boarded. Sure we can put this down to "life". Personally though I see no reason not to look for ways to make life a little easier for everyone.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you - thank god someone on here agrees with me

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

I don't think you appreciate the fact that at busy times a person or couple may not be able to board once or twice but a scooter user may have to watch five, six, seven or more cars stop before there is one that can be boarded. Sure we can put this down to "life". Personally though I see no reason not to look for ways to make life a little easier for everyone.

I fully appreciate this fact, I just don´t see the OP´s and others Approach as a way to make life eaiser for everyone but just for them. 

57 minutes ago, peterhof said:

It's all a farce anyhow, in a real emergency there would be panic and as what happened on the Costa ship that sank, the crew, including the captain, will be the first to get in a LBoat. 

A friend of mine was crew on a cruise ship and when he started, the first thing his cabin sharers told him was how to be one of the first off the ship if the order to abandon was given out.

Wow, do you have a pretty low opinion of cruise ship crew, the vast majority of which do a fine job.  If you're going to mention the Costa Concordia, please get your facts straight.  The crew were recognized by the Italian Maritime Administration for doing a good job during the crisis, given the leadership that was presented to them.  I don't recall hearing that the crew were first in the boats, but then again, Schettino never gave a muster signal, he merely announced "abandon ship" which means that both passengers and crew are free to evacuate.  In a "normal" evacuation, the crew does not abandon ship when the passengers get into the boats and leave, they are still at their emergency stations, and only report to the life rafts when a further signal is given, when the Captain feels that all is lost.  Apparently, your friend the crew member did not have sense of professional responsibility, or he would have told his cabin mates to shape up and accept the training and responsibility.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, 123funcruiser said:

No disagreement with you. This can happen to able bodied People as well. Sometime people rush in front of them too. Unfortunately this will be a Problem that will continue to exist and it´s certainly not limited to the Topic on Hand. 

Of Course this can happen, just as it happens to non handicapped People as well. An Elevator might come up that is fully packed and the next one might have room for the Tiny Lady but not for me the big guy. That´s life. Now we can discuss the issue if it´s Right for People arriving after the wheelchair user slipping into an Elevator having roo mfor them, but not the Wheelchair, or if they have to let that one go and Keep waiting. I´d say let them go, as have them waiting doesn´t help anyone, it just stretches the Problem By not full utilizing the Elevators.

Sometimes my wife, who is aged herself and has mobility issues not as bad as my own, will take the stairs if there is not enough room for both of us. 90% of the occupants in the lift already don't really need to use them at all. In the old days, all RCI ships had lifts at the rear of the ship too. These are now for crew use only.

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

Here, here

2 minutes ago, peterhof said:

Sometimes my wife, who is aged herself and has mobility issues not as bad as my own, will take the stairs if there is not enough room for both of us. 90% of the occupants in the lift already don't really need to use them at all. In the old days, all RCI ships had lifts at the rear of the ship too. These are now for crew use only.

It might be a good Thing it´s not up to your authority to determine who does or does not Need to use the Elevator. 

Elevators are for every Person OnBoard and not limited to a certain Group of passengers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Wow, do you have a pretty low opinion of cruise ship crew, the vast majority of which do a fine job.  If you're going to mention the Costa Concordia, please get your facts straight.  The crew were recognized by the Italian Maritime Administration for doing a good job during the crisis, given the leadership that was presented to them.  I don't recall hearing that the crew were first in the boats, but then again, Schettino never gave a muster signal, he merely announced "abandon ship" which means that both passengers and crew are free to evacuate.  In a "normal" evacuation, the crew does not abandon ship when the passengers get into the boats and leave, they are still at their emergency stations, and only report to the life rafts when a further signal is given, when the Captain feels that all is lost.  Apparently, your friend the crew member did not have sense of professional responsibility, or he would have told his cabin mates to shape up and accept the training and responsibility.

👍👍👍

• Like 1

As someone who uses a scooter to get around due to mobility issues - I have found most passengers are very accomodating and will make room for me or even get off and let me get on (I generally thank them for their kindness, but insist they stay put.  I'm on vacation and am in no rush to get anywhere ).  That being said, myself and my companion (who also uses a scooter) also stay put in the theater after the shows to let the mad rush get out and that rush to get to the elevator to alleviate itself ; ))

While I think the dedication of an elevator to those with mobility issues is not a bad idea, I do wonder how it would be policed and I really think, by and large, that it's a solution in search of a problem.

• Like 2

My comment was for later arrival people rushing past my husband in a scooter to an empty or nearly empty elevator where his scooter will fit.  I never meant that later arrivals to the elevator area should not go before him if there is room for them in the elevator but not for DH’s scooter.  Many people are very polite but there are always a few.  Some even insist that DH go before them even though DH arrived later.  Kindness is there to see on ships as well as rudeness.

PS - If an elevator opens close to me I always wait for those who were there first to enter before me.  Just a general courtesy.  Katherine

• Like 1

There are many individual “issues” that complicate vacation choices for those fortunate enough to still MAKE those vacation choices...mobility issues, heart disease, 

lung issues, neurological issues, handicapped loved ones. Many people endure these same problems without the ability to afford vacations of any kind, so waiting for an elevator would thrill them if only the financial opportunity arose for them to have a cruise vacation.

Those who endure these issues do not have a choice to “take the stairs” , but if they can afford to cruise, they can afford to “choose” a different type of vacation..smaller ship, land based, etc. If the elevator issues are so irritating, either wait in another lovely place on the ship as suggested for a short time...or wait and deal with the issue...or spend your money on a different vacation.

The vast majority of this world do not have the lucky choice of any of these vacations...they can’t afford it. The level of angst and anger in this thread over elevator waiting is really over dramatic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

You are way off here. Nobody said anyone is a second rate Citizen. Nobody is excluding disabled People.

There is no law saying disabled People Need to have priority Elevator Access. I don´t care what anyones Need to use the Elevator is. Everybody can wait their turn disabled or not.

Agree. There are rude, inconsiderate and entitled people handicapped or not everywhere in life.  

• Like 4

I had several friends who were air-lifted off the Viking Sky in March, including someone with a mobility issue.  

Everyone spoke very highly of the crew's behavior during the entire incident.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is confined to a wheelchair and so her and I must use an elevator, unfortunately. We have experienced people run in front of us to get on the elevator before us (knowing we were ahead of them waiting) making us having to wait for another elevator. I think that anyone (disabled or not) can use the elevator if they need to or so wish to, BUT I think it should be first come first serve and everyone needs to respect that. People shouldn't get on if others were waiting before them. There are enough elevators for all, but people just need to wait their turn and respect those in front of them. Everyone waits, everyone gets on even if you are running late for something (you should have left earlier). Who knows those waiting could be late for something too, but everyone just needs to wait another 30 seconds to a couple of minutes for next elevator. But there are so many rude ones and people will also say, "oh sorry, there isn't any more room" when clearly there is. I just hope our next two cruises will be a better experience than our first one, especially with the elevators! And yes, we always left a little earlier than necessary because of elevator issues. Happy Cruising to you all! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TravelBug2A said:

I just hope our next two cruises will be a better experience than our first one, especially with the elevators! And yes, we always left a little earlier than necessary because of elevator issues. Happy Cruising to you all! 

If you can tell that someone is a "jump in front" type of person (sometimes you can just tell...) or if you're next in line but there's a crowd, you could also ask people around you if they could help you grab space in the next elevator that stops.

"Would you be so kind as to help us get space in the next elevator that has room?  Sometimes people get in before we can get there and then there isn't room for us to fit in with the chair...."  

Sometimes you'll shame people into behaving themselves, and sometimes you'll just open someone's eyes to something that they hadn't realized was a problem for others. Not only will people be inclined to help you, but by opening their eyes to this problem in the first place (because face it, people who have never dealt with it are often totally oblivious to access issues), they'll be more likely to notice and offer help for others in the same predicament throughout the cruise (and hopefully throughout life).

I especially like to ask youngsters for help.  They feel so proud to be asked to do a Very Important Job, and it also teaches them at a very young age to be good citizens in the world.  Even very young children can be asked, "would you be so kind as to hold the next elevator door while we get on with the wheelchair so it doesn't come closed on us?"  This has the side benefit of letting everyone within earshot know that you are there in line for the next elevator, and they should get outta the way to allow you to pass.  

I hope you and your daughter have many happy cruises to come!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, broberts said:

I recall observing a scooter bound passenger being unable to get on four or five elevators either because there was no room or other more able waiters were cutting in front. This is silly?

And you just stood by and watched? How about stepping up and helping them by “commandeering” the next elevator when their turn came up and holding the door FOR THEM.

We could all do this when we see someone waiting. Great idea by another poster to enlist the aid of children as a teaching opportunity.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you can tell that someone is a "jump in front" type of person (sometimes you can just tell...) or if you're next in line but there's a crowd, you could also ask people around you if they could help you grab space in the next elevator that stops.

"Would you be so kind as to help us get space in the next elevator that has room?  Sometimes people get in before we can get there and then there isn't room for us to fit in with the chair...."  

Sometimes you'll shame people into behaving themselves, and sometimes you'll just open someone's eyes to something that they hadn't realized was a problem for others. Not only will people be inclined to help you, but by opening their eyes to this problem in the first place (because face it, people who have never dealt with it are often totally oblivious to access issues), they'll be more likely to notice and offer help for others in the same predicament throughout the cruise (and hopefully throughout life).

I especially like to ask youngsters for help.  They feel so proud to be asked to do a Very Important Job, and it also teaches them at a very young age to be good citizens in the world.  Even very young children can be asked, "would you be so kind as to hold the next elevator door while we get on with the wheelchair so it doesn't come closed on us?"  This has the side benefit of letting everyone within earshot know that you are there in line for the next elevator, and they should get outta the way to allow you to pass.  

I hope you and your daughter have many happy cruises to come!

Thank you and very true! I love asking children to help for the same very reason you mentioned.. They always light up and love it.. They feel so "big".. It also breaks the ice between my daughter and them as they never know how to react to my daughter being in a chair and not walking like them. Anyway, thank you for your thoughts! I really appreciate it and will try them.. 🙂

• Like 1