Nieuw Statendam for New Years Eve

tkabrk1

Anyone else sailing on NS for the New Year Eve cruise -Dec 29?  I didn't see a roll call for it.   Our first time on HAL, have sailed many other cruise lines.   Wondering if they will do something special for New Years Eve?

2 hours ago, tkabrk1 said:

Anyone else sailing on NS for the New Year Eve cruise -Dec 29?  I didn't see a roll call for it.   Our first time on HAL, have sailed many other cruise lines.   Wondering if they will do something special for New Years Eve?

I have been fortunate to celebrate New Year's Eve on Prinsendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zaandam.  Each evening was festive and fun.  And, each ship's celebration was a bit different than the others.  (The size of the vessel and the passenger load is responsible for that, I think.)  The best of the three:  Prinsendam!

2 hours ago, tkabrk1 said:

On the Koningsdam last year they did not have much, a puppateer at 10:00pm in the showroom and at midnight champagne around the pool with a dj..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are also on this ship!

Curious if there will be three formal nights or just the standard 2?  Does anyone know?

Also, I tried to start a Roll Call but nothing has happened.  I emailed Cruise Critic and am waiting for a response.  

I was also on the K last year. The previous poster understated the event at the mid ships pool. The crew had set up a stage and the  band from the Rolling Stone Rock Room  came up and played. The captain welcomed in the new year with a toast. The deck was quite crowded.

18 hours ago, afreudgirl said:

Also, I tried to start a Roll Call but nothing has happened.  I emailed Cruise Critic and am waiting for a response.  

The roll call is started it is now up to others to join it, by posting to it.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, afreudgirl said:

We are also on this ship!

Curious if there will be three formal nights or just the standard 2?  Does anyone know?

I'd guess that it will still only be 2 formal nights.  Based on an  n = 2 (Crown 12/31/17 and Oosterdam 12/31/18), I think they like to do one formal night as NYE.  Looking at the itinerary, my bet is that formal nights are Tues (31st) and Fri (3rd). 

On Oosterdam last year's NYE was formal night with a very elegant dinner (and special holiday menu).  Party on the Lido deck with senior officers and BB King Blues Band and singer as the entertainment.  Also an attempt at an ice sculpture 2018 with the 8 supposed to be chiseled into (or swapped for?) a 9 as we headed into midnight... it didn't go so hot, but was a great display of teamwork, ingenuity, and creativity on the final product 😄

On Crown Princess the year previous they did a balloon drop in the atrium with DJ and live music taking turns and video montage of NYE around the world, DJ'd party in the main lounge, and a DJ'd party on the pool deck.  Everybody from balloon drop headed to pool deck right after midnight and pool deck party got dialed up to 11.

I think the difference in event planning is partly the Cruise Director and partly the ship pax profile.  I think HAL skews older and more sedate than PCL (not that PCL is a "young" party line by any measure).

Should be a great cruise, can't wait to ring in 2020 on the waves!

Edited by jb008

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Floating Okie said:

We are a family of 6 making this voyage over New Year's.

Should be a great cruise with great service from Holland America!

Here's the link to the Roll Call - 

Come join us! 

We're also on this cruise.  Everyone should be aware that Turning Point Ministries is also aboard.  If you're having trouble making reservations for fixed early seating, this group has reserved the upstairs MDR.  Since we always book that seating (due to a disability), we moved to Club Orange with a nice discount.  We're actually looking forward to trying Club Orange, although we wouldn't have normally purchased it.

The group may impact all of us.  Their website says they're bringing 4 entertainers aboard, so this may mean that the World Stage may be reserved at certain times too.  Then again, we may not even know they're aboard.  I'm hoping that's the case.  

The last time we welcomed New Year's at sea was on Prinsendam in 2015.  We're looking forward to a wonderful party.

We are in a balcony cabin. Can you still get in Club Orange? Any idea how many are in this TPM group? We are traveling with another couple and my son and his gf. I'm guessing happy hours won't be crowded!😨

Just talked to the ship director of services. There are 400 in the group.  They have only reserved the lower floor of the main dining room and their entertainers will be performing during off hours and will not affect the normal schedule. 

• Like 1