Cruise Critic Community
tkabrk1

Nieuw Statendam for New Years Eve

Anyone else sailing on NS for the New Year Eve cruise -Dec 29?  I didn't see a roll call for it.   Our first time on HAL, have sailed many other cruise lines.   Wondering if they will do something special for New Years Eve?

2 hours ago, tkabrk1 said:

Anyone else sailing on NS for the New Year Eve cruise -Dec 29?  I didn't see a roll call for it.   Our first time on HAL, have sailed many other cruise lines.   Wondering if they will do something special for New Years Eve?

I have been fortunate to celebrate New Year's Eve on Prinsendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Zaandam.  Each evening was festive and fun.  And, each ship's celebration was a bit different than the others.  (The size of the vessel and the passenger load is responsible for that, I think.)  The best of the three:  Prinsendam!

2 hours ago, tkabrk1 said:

On the Koningsdam last year they did not have much, a puppateer at 10:00pm in the showroom and at midnight champagne around the pool with a dj..

We are on the New Year's Eve cruise with another couple and my son and his gf. The ship seems pretty full so I'm surprised there isn't a roll call!

We did a New Years cruise on the Eurodam, at midnight there was a count down clock & champagne around the Lido pool. Enjoy

On 4/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, Sir PMP said:

On the Koningsdam last year they did not have much, a puppateer at 10:00pm in the showroom and at midnight champagne around the pool with a dj..

That must have been very disappointing.

We are also on this ship!

Curious if there will be three formal nights or just the standard 2?  Does anyone know?

Also, I tried to start a Roll Call but nothing has happened.  I emailed Cruise Critic and am waiting for a response.  

I was also on the K last year. The previous poster understated the event at the mid ships pool. The crew had set up a stage and the  band from the Rolling Stone Rock Room  came up and played. The captain welcomed in the new year with a toast. The deck was quite crowded.

18 hours ago, afreudgirl said:

Also, I tried to start a Roll Call but nothing has happened.  I emailed Cruise Critic and am waiting for a response.  

The roll call is started it is now up to others to join it, by posting to it.

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, afreudgirl said:

We are also on this ship!

Curious if there will be three formal nights or just the standard 2?  Does anyone know?

I'd guess that it will still only be 2 formal nights.  Based on an  n = 2 (Crown 12/31/17 and Oosterdam 12/31/18), I think they like to do one formal night as NYE.  Looking at the itinerary, my bet is that formal nights are Tues (31st) and Fri (3rd). 

On Oosterdam last year's NYE was formal night with a very elegant dinner (and special holiday menu).  Party on the Lido deck with senior officers and BB King Blues Band and singer as the entertainment.  Also an attempt at an ice sculpture 2018 with the 8 supposed to be chiseled into (or swapped for?) a 9 as we headed into midnight... it didn't go so hot, but was a great display of teamwork, ingenuity, and creativity on the final product 😄

On Crown Princess the year previous they did a balloon drop in the atrium with DJ and live music taking turns and video montage of NYE around the world, DJ'd party in the main lounge, and a DJ'd party on the pool deck.  Everybody from balloon drop headed to pool deck right after midnight and pool deck party got dialed up to 11.

I think the difference in event planning is partly the Cruise Director and partly the ship pax profile.  I think HAL skews older and more sedate than PCL (not that PCL is a "young" party line by any measure).

Should be a great cruise, can't wait to ring in 2020 on the waves!

Edited by jb008

Posted (edited)

Oosterdam 12/31/2018 MDR dinner menu

Ooster Menu 12-31-2018.JPG

NYE main course on Oosterdam

IMG_7846.JPG

Pool deck party on Oosterdam 

IMG_7859.JPG

Edited by jb008

That sounds like so much fun! The Nieuw Statendam is a wonderful ship for it, IMHO - love the Music Walk.

We were on a Royal Viking Line ship decades ago for Christmas and NY Eve, and I’ve been thinking lately that it’s past time to do it again.