Scenic Eclipse News

23 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Hi Tami. We usually cruise on Regent too.  We are booked on the Eclipse next summer for the Arctic.  We went to Antarctica with Silversea and had no problem with Internet, so you should be okay. Sounds like you are going to have an incredible cruise....love the itinerary. 

We cruised Antarctica in February 2017 aboard the Crystal Serenity which is a ship four times the size of the scenic eclipse and at that time had a complement of over 1000 passengers and close to 700 crew. The technology on board at that time was not as up-to-date as scenic‘s technology is now. Nonetheless we had better reception by telephone from Antarctica to Los Angeles and better Internet connectivity then we have when I try to place a call from my home in Los Angeles to my office 10 miles away! I think you will be very impressed with the Internet connectivity on board. We certainly were.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have been on several ships and hotels that offered shoe shining service, but all they actually seem to do is buff—no polish!

I just saw this post and we just booked a couple more scenic cruises in 2021 and among the amenities specifically mentioned in the new brochure online is shoeshining service! I suspect it was probably there when we were on board but is there was no bag in the room for shoes I made an assumption which I shouldn’t have!

On 9/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, towel-animal said:

@RockyandMoose Thank you for the very thorough and helpful replies! So appreciative of you taking the time on your vacation to provide such wonderful accounts and information.

Another thing I'm curious about is the wifi, specifically if a log in code is provided per person, or per suite — meaning, are you able to be connected on multiple devices (For instance, can one be connected at the same time their traveling companion is also connected on another device?) Or is it one log-in per suite so that one must take turns?

I apologize. I thought that I had replied to your inquiry but apparently I did not. When you board the ship there is a wireless connection that Hass to be made and your room attendant or Butler will give you that information. You logon once and you remain logged on as long as you are on board. You may log on as many devices as you have with you all at the same time. So for example my wife and I each had iPads and iPhones and all four were easily connected and made available without a fuss throughout our cruise. No taking turns required!

4 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Hi Tami.  In one of my postings while we were on board the ship mid September I mentioned that there is a Launderette on the third floor of the ship relatively near the mud room and the doctors quarters. When we were on board there were three stacked washer and dryer units all by nIn one of my postings while we were on board the ship mid September I mentioned that there is a Launderette on the third floor of the ship relatively near the mud room and the doctors quarters. When we were on board there were three stacked washer and dryer units all by Miele.  It took us some effort to figure out how to operate them because they are fancy machines that actually weigh the load once put in to determine how much water to use but once we got the hang of it they operated very quickly and fairly efficiently. The ship also offers a very reasonably priced laundry service. It also will simply do pressing if that is all you wish to do for a nominal charge per item. The charges for washing and pressing or for pressing only our appreciably lower than we have found on other cruise lines that we have used in the past.

we are signed up to do the Northwest passage cruise which is more than 20 days and have decided that the best thing for us to do is to bring clothes that can be laundered and do not need dry cleaning or fancy care and treatment. One can dress nicely for dinner without wearing items which require a special treatment or laundering with unique settings and it makes the task of how much to bring, where to store it in your state room and how to keep it clean an easier one.  The dollar amount which the ship is asking for such things as laundering and pressing slacks, trousers, shirts and blouses is consistent with what we pay here in Los Angeles for those services at our neighborhood cleaners. If one doesn’t need the The dollar amount which the ship is asking for such things as laundering and pressing slacks, trousers, shirts and blouses is consistent with what we pay here in Los Angeles for those services at our neighborhood cleaners.

If one doesn’t need the items back in one day you can avoid the 50% surcharge and paid the lower rate. I believe in one of my earlier post things I may have provided a photograph of the laundry list and charges. If not let me know and I can try to post it again.  We hope that you will have as great a time on board as the two of us had. It was well worth the wait and the periodic disappointments of cancellation of previously  scheduleD cruises!

Thanks so much RockyandMoose!  I was hoping the ship would have pressing services, as both my slacks and my husband's will need that after being packed up for so long (we arrive 3 days before the cruise commences and don't plan on unpacking any of our evening wear while in Lima).  I'm bringing a steamer as well, but for pants my little travel steamer just doesn't cut it.  I did read about the Launderette on Deck 3, but it sounded like it was more trouble than it was worth!  We will probably opt to just pay for the laundry services and be done with it.  Can you tell me if there was an iron and ironing board in the Launderette?  That would at least be helpful.

As for the shower storage, I might just opt to bring one of those suction type soap holders, just to keep the soap out of the way.  I will have a few other things in small bottles that I'll need to store (ie...my face wash) so hopefully the little shelf will work well for those.  If not, I guess there's always the shower floor!!  Did you happen to hear of anyone asking for a shower chair or bench?  It is exceedingly difficult for me to shave my legs when I can't prop them up on something and it's not going to get any easier the longer the cruise goes on , as my stomach will no doubt be expanding proportionate to the time onboard the ship!!!!

I am very excited to be cruising soon on this beautiful ship (and I know some folks feel that it is too modern, but I think she's gorgeous!).  Thanks again for taking us all on your journey on her, and for providing us all with such great information!!!!

We have just arrived in the US and are now getting excited to join the ship on Saturday for our cruise to Peru.  All your postings have been most useful and I will try to add while we are on board.  We will be in a Spa Suite on the 9th Deck and I believe some of the features will be very modern.  We're in the older age bracket and although the ship looks modern, like all ships, it appears to have its own individual charm.  They've obviously really tried to think of everything but we know how difficult it is to please everyone.  So far, every early fear or concern we've had has been allayed but the excellent earlier posts.

Watch this space. 

3 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

We have just arrived in the US and are now getting excited to join the ship on Saturday for our cruise to Peru.  All your postings have been most useful and I will try to add while we are on board.  We will be in a Spa Suite on the 9th Deck and I believe some of the features will be very modern.  We're in the older age bracket and although the ship looks modern, like all ships, it appears to have its own individual charm.  They've obviously really tried to think of everything but we know how difficult it is to please everyone.  So far, every early fear or concern we've had has been allayed but the excellent earlier posts.

Watch this space. 

Please do keep us all updated!  Those of us joining the ship in Peru are anxiously awaiting your reports!!!

3 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

Watch this space. 

Have a wonderful cruise and look forward to reading your updates. The spa suite should be amazing. Don't worry about being in the "older age bracket".  I think many of us are.  🤣  By the way, where are you from?

18 hours ago, TahoeTraveler said:

Thanks so much RockyandMoose!  I was hoping the ship would have pressing services, as both my slacks and my husband's will need that after being packed up for so long (we arrive 3 days before the cruise commences and don't plan on unpacking any of our evening wear while in Lima).  I'm bringing a steamer as well, but for pants my little travel steamer just doesn't cut it.  I did read about the Launderette on Deck 3, but it sounded like it was more trouble than it was worth!  We will probably opt to just pay for the laundry services and be done with it.  Can you tell me if there was an iron and ironing board in the Launderette?  That would at least be helpful.

As for the shower storage, I might just opt to bring one of those suction type soap holders, just to keep the soap out of the way.  I will have a few other things in small bottles that I'll need to store (ie...my face wash) so hopefully the little shelf will work well for those.  If not, I guess there's always the shower floor!!  Did you happen to hear of anyone asking for a shower chair or bench?  It is exceedingly difficult for me to shave my legs when I can't prop them up on something and it's not going to get any easier the longer the cruise goes on , as my stomach will no doubt be expanding proportionate to the time onboard the ship!!!!

I am very excited to be cruising soon on this beautiful ship (and I know some folks feel that it is too modern, but I think she's gorgeous!).  Thanks again for taking us all on your journey on her, and for providing us all with such great information!!!!

Yes a nice sized ironing board and state of the art iron are at the Laundrette and I did hear word that a stool is available for the asking but I would verify with the hotel Director Marcelo (say hi to him from us) as soon as you board.  He will be at the top of the gangway.

Bon voyage.

1 hour ago, RockyandMoose said:

Yes a nice sized ironing board and state of the art iron are at the Laundrette and I did hear word that a stool is available for the asking but I would verify with the hotel Director Marcelo (say hi to him from us) as soon as you board.  He will be at the top of the gangway.

Bon voyage.

That is great news, thank you!!!!  I will definitely tell Marcelo that you said hi!

We just received our travel docs last night...and WOW! Talk about premium packaging! They included two very nice backpacks branded with the Eclipse logo. A huge souvenir box in a matching sleeve contained a leather and mesh travel wallet with very detailed documentation including 2 booklets which had been personalized for our itinerary (now we finally know how many hours we'll be in each port, etc..), airport/hotel transfer information, packing list, a beautiful pen, a generous amount of luggage tags and one medical form per person to complete. 

The quality of all items are outstanding. We are very impressed and cannot wait to get our adventure started in just over a week.

IMG_8415.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8414-2.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

19 hours ago, towel-animal said:

We just received our travel docs last night...and WOW! Talk about premium packaging! They included two very nice backpacks branded with the Eclipse logo. A huge souvenir box in a matching sleeve contained a leather and mesh travel wallet with very detailed documentation including 2 booklets which had been personalized for our itinerary (now we finally know how many hours we'll be in each port, etc..), airport/hotel transfer information, packing list, a beautiful pen, a generous amount of luggage tags and one medical form per person to complete. 

The quality of all items are outstanding. We are very impressed and cannot wait to get our adventure started in just over a week.

IMG_8415.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8414-2.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

We got our docs Wednesday for the cruise which is right after yours.  You are right...the package was first class all the way.  Right down to the luggage tags, which are hearty and do not require you to have a PhD to figure out how to stick the two sides together properly!!  In fact, there is no "sticking" whatsoever, which is so nice.  I was interested to read that Peru supposedly requires the yellow fever vaccine.  I had not seen that anywhere else.  It's no big deal, as we got our a few years ago when we cruised the Amazon.  But I will need to remember to bring along our vaccination records, just in case it is required in Peru.  towel-animal, have you heard anything regarding the yellow fever vaccine in Peru?  Anyway, safe travels to you, and please keep us updated as you cruise towards Lima!

I had the same apprehension when we received our cruise pack last week.  I contacted the Peruvian Consulate in London and they confirmed that they do not insist on Yellow Fever certification as an entry requirement.  Some of our destinations could require it if we come from Congo, Angola or Uganda or from an Active outbreak area.  I have a certificate from some years back (valid for life) and my wife has a waiver certificate.

Carol, we’re from the UK near Windsor. 

2 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

I had the same apprehension when we received our cruise pack last week.  I contacted the Peruvian Consulate in London and they confirmed that they do not insist on Yellow Fever certification as an entry requirement.  Some of our destinations could require it if we come from Congo, Angola or Uganda or from an Active outbreak area.  I have a certificate from some years back (valid for life) and my wife has a waiver certificate.

Carol, we’re from the UK near Windsor. 

Good to know, thank you!

Hi Tami, my husband and I are on the same cruise as you, we in a grand deluxe suite on level 5. We are both looking forward to the holiday. Not looking forward to how long it will take us to get there as we will be travelling from Melbourne, Australia. 

Looking forward to meeting you. Cheers Robyn 

6 hours ago, Melbourne people said:

Hi Tami, my husband and I are on the same cruise as you, we in a grand deluxe suite on level 5. We are both looking forward to the holiday. Not looking forward to how long it will take us to get there as we will be travelling from Melbourne, Australia. 

Looking forward to meeting you. Cheers Robyn 

Hi Robyn, we are also in a Grand Deluxe on deck 5...we might very well be neighbors!  We are at the very front port side...it was the last port side Grand Deluxe available so we took it, despite it's location so far forward.  I can't imagine the logistics it is going to take you to get to Lima from Melbourne, and I don't envy you!  My dream trip is one to Australia and New Zealand for several months, preferably in an RV, but I absolutely hate long flights.  Obviously I'm going to have to deal with it if I'm going to accomplish visiting the last continent we haven't been to though. 

Getting very excited now!  Safe travels and looking forward to seeing you onboard!

Tami

Well, we’re on board in our Spa Suite and just had our first night’s sleep.  The bed is sooooo comfortable which is a number 1 for us.  

The staff seem excellent and the Maitre’d, JP, we recognised from Seabourn.  Waiters are still getting to grips with things and our dinners last night were a bit mixed up; but we got there in the end.

Towel rails are yet to be installed, which is a little unhelpful but overall the ship is beautiful.  Having not done an “adventure “ cruise before we’re still learning the ropes and hope we have all the right clothes.

Will add more later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holy Roller said:

Well, we’re on board in our Spa Suite and just had our first night’s sleep.  The bed is sooooo comfortable which is a number 1 for us.  

The staff seem excellent and the Maitre’d, JP, we recognised from Seabourn.  Waiters are still getting to grips with things and our dinners last night were a bit mixed up; but we got there in the end.

Towel rails are yet to be installed, which is a little unhelpful but overall the ship is beautiful.  Having not done an “adventure “ cruise before we’re still learning the ropes and hope we have all the right clothes.

Will add more later.

Bon voyage!!!

Looking forward to joining you in Cartagena! Curious if you are in a Spa Suite on deck 9 or 8? We may be neighbors 🙂 

When/if you have a moment, could you let us know when/how you were informed of tour and excursion offerings and how you go about making selections? We have never experienced a cruise where one is not given a list in advance and are still unsure how this works.

3 hours ago, towel-animal said:

Bon voyage!!!

Looking forward to joining you in Cartagena! Curious if you are in a Spa Suite on deck 9 or 8? We may be neighbors 🙂 

When/if you have a moment, could you let us know when/how you were informed of tour and excursion offerings and how you go about making selections? We have never experienced a cruise where one is not given a list in advance and are still unsure how this works.

We too would love to know how the tour and excursion offerings works.  We got an email this weekend advising us that we should call Scenic to express our interest in doing a helicopter or submarine excursion, but when I called, they told me I had to give them specific dates that we were interested in.  As we have no idea of what other excursions are being offered each day, it is impossible for us to determine dates we'd want to do a helo or sub instead!  It's all very confusing!  Plus, the cost of the helo and sub is quite high...$585 per person for a 30 minute helo ride; $1,100 per person for a 60 minute helo ride; and $295 per person for a 20 minute sub ride.  I don't want to pick a date that wouldn't really give us that "wow" factor at those prices!! So any information on how the whole excursion booking process works would be greatly appreciated!

When you board there is a welcome on deck 4 by the Recep desk area.  I’m our case they had all the excursion data on hand and I attach a few photos as explanation.  I also recommend booking the Teppenyaki as early as possible as there is only one sitting per evening and it gets booked up quickly.

5D7A6815-C266-4A2C-8FA8-20ED90B87AF7.jpeg

36EF1714-CE07-4DCD-BC51-23F9845BA21D.jpeg

23D3B530-AF15-45D7-BD67-CFD038619BE7.jpeg

F29D156E-3E92-4CCA-BEAB-690678B45552.jpeg

4 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

When you board there is a welcome on deck 4 by the Recep desk area.  I’m our case they had all the excursion data on hand and I attach a few photos as explanation.  I also recommend booking the Teppenyaki as early as possible as there is only one sitting per evening and it gets booked up quickly.

5D7A6815-C266-4A2C-8FA8-20ED90B87AF7.jpeg

36EF1714-CE07-4DCD-BC51-23F9845BA21D.jpeg

23D3B530-AF15-45D7-BD67-CFD038619BE7.jpeg

F29D156E-3E92-4CCA-BEAB-690678B45552.jpeg

Thank you so much!  It sounds like you just look through everything and book what you want once onboard.  This probably cuts down on the typical, "Let's book this because it's included, but if we don't want to go we just don't show up" mentality that we have seen so many times on Regent.  As long as the "popular' excursions don't sell out before we can book them, we'll be happy.  Heck, we'll be happy regardless!!!  Again, thank you so much for this information.  Very, very helpful.

Holy Roller thanks for the info so far.

Can I ask if you have any more updates on how it works to get a booking at the Chef's table, Lumiere and Tepanyaki?

Is there a preference given to rooms and if you have journeyed with Scenic before? or just a bun fight and get in there quick?

Also would be interested to hear that now you are in warmer climes if there is outdoor eating?

And are the hot tubs and pools now all up and running with loungers on decks to enjoy the sun?

Booking restaurants seems to be first come first served, however, our butler has offered to help and it may be that we get some preferential status.   We have some dates set but await others. We’ll wait and see.

We had  breakfast outside yesterday at the yacht club which was warm and sunny.

The hot tubs are up and running and there are some loungers though limited as the space taken up by the helipad is where an outside pool and lounge area would be.

i asked for towel hooks and yesterday they fitted 2 suction type hooks as temporaries.   Functional and I can’t fault the attention to our needs.

The ship is incredibly silent and unbelievably manoeuvrable.  Coming off our mooring in Key West and “spinning” to head out attracted crowds. I know that seas are very calm but nevertheless I’m certain that we’ll feel the benefit when we hit some rougher conditions. 
The open bridge policy is interesting and I spent a little time there yesterday morning before we docked.  Crew are justifiably proud of the ship’s abilities.

All for now.

6 hours ago, salbags said:

Holy Roller thanks for the info so far.

Can I ask if you have any more updates on how it works to get a booking at the Chef's table, Lumiere and Tepanyaki?

Is there a preference given to rooms and if you have journeyed with Scenic before? or just a bun fight and get in there quick?

Also would be interested to hear that now you are in warmer climes if there is outdoor eating?

And are the hot tubs and pools now all up and running with loungers on decks to enjoy the sun?

When we were on board in mid September of this year the tepanyaki dinner was offered with two seatings the first being around 6 PM and the other around 830. Toward the end of the cruise based on a reduction in demand they switched it to one seating per night. I suspected if the demand is greater they can resume two seatings a night. As far as the Chef’s table is concerned we understand that preference goes by category of rooms but in our experience we asked our butler to see what he could do and we were approached in the lobby wanna evening when we had other dinner plans and asked if we could change those plans so that we might join others at the chef’s table where there was a sudden and unexpected vacancy. We did so and did not regret it. The chef’s table experience was incredible. As for Lumiere, the service was rough around the edges when we were on board but we expected with time and more experience things will improve exponentially.