Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 7/19/2019 at 7:02 AM, drron29 said:

We were booked on the August 15th cruise but bailed when it became the inaugural cruise as we don't like those.Added a couple of nights before the Eclipse arrives to the nights after.hotel has a good view of the dock and river.

Great to see you got your documentation and hopefully they flesh it out a bit before you board.

I agree a maiden cruise is not ideal particularly an expedition one. But then we needed to get from Iceland to Canada and fill in the 12 days without changing the dates. So it will be interesting to see how it all pans out, given that we do not have high expectations at the moment.

Scenic sent two small booklets ,one with the itinerary (very basic) and the other a welcome booklet that had pre-cruise information and departure port and time.

Interestingly the baggage information is different to their brochures. It is now aligned with airline requirements, which makes a lot more sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they setting a luggage maximum weight or maximum pieces requirement? What airline requirements are you making reference to? We do not board until mid-September but would sure like to know what information is being shared and some of them and Dea are they setting a luggage maximum weight or maximum pieces requirement? What airline requirements are you making reference to? We do not board until mid September but would sure like to know what information is being shared and some of  The Mandane things like whether they are providing luggage tags with your cruise tickets.   Any information you care to share would sure be appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RockyandMoose said:

Are they setting a luggage maximum weight or maximum pieces requirement? What airline requirements are you making reference to? We do not board until mid-September but would sure like to know what information is being shared and some of them and Dea are they setting a luggage maximum weight or maximum pieces requirement? What airline requirements are you making reference to? We do not board until mid September but would sure like to know what information is being shared and some of  The Mandane things like whether they are providing luggage tags with your cruise tickets.   Any information you care to share would sure be appreciated. 

Yes they did supply luggage tags. See attached file for actual requirements.

I hope this helps

Luggage.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have just been sent our Helicopter and Sub options by our TA and asked to nominate our preferences. Mind you we were told earlier that these would only be available after boarding. Sad that they are not sure how to handle everything, before confusing everyone with different statements.

Now the ship has a godmother which is very important, I assume for someone!!!!

How many ships have a godmother, and after all what does it mean? Maybe someone can tell me!

I'm sorry to be so cynical but what I have seen over the last two or three weeks, even my wife has not been impressed, and that takes a bit of doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goorawin said:

We have just been sent our Helicopter and Sub options by our TA and asked to nominate our preferences. Mind you we were told earlier that these would only be available after boarding. Sad that they are not sure how to handle everything, before confusing everyone with different statements.

Now the ship has a godmother which is very important, I assume for someone!!!!

How many ships have a godmother, and after all what does it mean? Maybe someone can tell me!

I'm sorry to be so cynical but what I have seen over the last two or three weeks, even my wife has not been impressed, and that takes a bit of doing.

Would love to know what the helicopter and submarine options are and the cost.  

 

As for naming a godmother for the ship, this is a common ritual when a new ship is launched

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=297

 

Are you on the first cruise?  Hope it's wonderful....ENJOY!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 12:03 AM, Carol From California said:

Would love to know what the helicopter and submarine options are and the cost.  

 

As for naming a godmother for the ship, this is a common ritual when a new ship is launched

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=297

 

Are you on the first cruise?  Hope it's wonderful....ENJOY!   

Yes, we are on it's first trip, and at last looking forward to it.

The costs range from $475 (20min) to $925 (40min) for helicopter flights, and $250 (20min) to $475 (40min) for submarine excursions. There are quite a few helicopter options but only 3 sub options which many limit availability.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scenic Eclipse is on it way!!!!!!!!.

After being released by the ship yard two days ago (see link below), it left port a few hours ago heading for Malta.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/business/37410-uljanik

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well finally some good news!  I am one of the first group of passengers who were supposed to be on the Scenic Eclipse in 2018.  Unfortunately the treatment I received from Scenic at the time was just terrible and remains so,  and I haven't re-booked.  Even though I have decided to take my business elsewhere, I sincerely hope that those who are booked have a wonderful cruise!  Its always exciting to try something new and that was one of my reasons for wanting to be part of the earliest voyages.  So I will watch with eager anticipation for reports here from those on board.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was fun to see the name Scenic Eclipse on vesselfinder instead of the Novgorod.  It looks like the August 15 departure is really going to happen.  I’m looking forward to some reviews of the ship and itineraries to help us decide if we want to give her a try. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 For those of you who have access to YouTube you might check under scenic CA where there are now videos just put up including a time lapse of the build out of the theater on board and one showing the ship departing the shipyard on route to Malta  can be found if you look under the shipyards name . For those of you using VesselFinder which is a fairly inexpensive app, scenic is now within a days journey tomato on route averaging 10.8 knots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a free phone app called Cruise EMapper.  You type in the name of the ship at the top (Scenic Eclipse) then click on the little green circle and you will see the ship is currently off the coast of Italy.  I wonder if the management are doing a test cruise to try out the new ship! 

 

The theater time lapse video posted by RockyandMoose was fun to watch.  My husband will love the reclining seats which are similar to what we have at home.  

 

Edited by Carol From California
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Carol From California said:

There is a free phone app called Cruise EMapper.  You type in the name of the ship at the top (Scenic Eclipse) then click on the little green circle and you will see the ship is currently off the coast of Italy.  I wonder if the management are doing a test cruise to try out the new ship! 

 

The theater time lapse video posted by RockyandMoose was fun to watch.  My husband will love the reclining seats which are similar to what we have at home.  

 

Cruise mapper (no e)??

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Carol From California said:

When you search for it, it appears as Cruise Mapper but for some reason the little symbol on my phone says Cruise EMapper.

 

Interesting. My icon shows CruiseMapper (one word). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use vesselfinder which has a free version and a small one time app acquisition fee version.  I paid the under $10 dollars for the vesselfinder pro and love it.  I can follow our favorite ships and the information available is terrific.  This morning Scenic Eclipse is docked in Malta.  We are counting down the days until we board in September.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scenic have lost a lot of credibility with me by registering the 22,498 gt expedition vessel in Valletta & calling it the first discovery yacht!

It is by no means the first of the new build expedition cruise vessels with Polar Code rating.

Malta would be one of the worst Flag of Conveinience countries in Europe.

Only time will tell if Scenic can run a better Ocean Expedition ship than the others that have done for years.

She arrived at Gibraltar 4th Aug. & is berthed on the cruise ship dock.

Due Reykjavik for 15th Aug.

Scenic Eclipse 2019-8.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...