Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Carol From California

Scenic Eclipse News

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, goorawin said:

Oh by the way, we disembarked in Quebec and that did not go as planned either.

 

Oh no! What happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right on time at 9.30pm last night in Quebec City the Eclipse sounded it's siren twice and slowly left the dock.Unfortunately our hotel room did not have a direct view of the dock but got to see her as she went upstream at first and then turned to go down the St.Lawrence.

image.jpeg.bc571fe0148dcf3bf156ca7bef637961.jpeg.

 

image.jpeg.c79cdc8c14f88ca94e8f784f1a10e438.jpeg.

 

image.jpeg.5d6a241fef47540fababb03527c83882.jpeg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who is the next of us here on this board who will be on the Eclipse? I know some of you are getting on in Miami in October. Anybody before then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be embarking in Miami and leaving in Lima.  I'd be interested to know of anyone else on the same itinerary.  And, like towel-animal, would be keen to know from those on an earlier itinerary how the service and finishing touches are going.  I wanted to contact Scenic UK today but apparently their telephone lines are down.  I hope no-one's pulled the plug?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if we should all create a post with our Scenic Eclipse roll calls. If we do it here it will get lost amongst the posts, so should we start a new thread, asking where and when others are going? Then we can just keep bumping it to the top. What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, czardas said:

I was wondering if we should all create a post with our Scenic Eclipse roll calls. If we do it here it will get lost amongst the posts, so should we start a new thread, asking where and when others are going? Then we can just keep bumping it to the top. What are your thoughts?

It would be really nice if Cruise Critic could start a separate category for Scenic Oceans, and Eclipse instead of having it on "all other cruise lines". I understand they may want to wait until Scenic builds more ships since they only have one right now. There is also a place to post roll calls for "all other cruise lines".  Let's see what Host Jazzbeau suggests.  

Edited by Carol From California

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carol I don't think Scenic is going to have a second ship for some time.I googled Scenic Eclipse 2 and there doesn't seem to be any news in the last 3 months.

So I went to Total Croatia News.It appears the Government has taken over the shipyard and says it will provide money for work to resume there so that would mean quite a delay for the second ship.

Sorry to post some bad news but at least it does give hope that Scenic Eclipse 2 will occur at some stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Carol From California said:

It would be really nice if Cruise Critic could start a separate category for Scenic Oceans, and Eclipse instead of having it on "all other cruise lines". I understand they may want to wait until Scenic builds more ships since they only have one right now. There is also a place to post roll calls for "all other cruise lines".  Let's see what Host Jazzbeau suggests.  

 

I don't have any insight into how and when Cruise Critic decides to create a separate forum for a new cruise line.  If you look at the top of this forum, there are stickies that show they spun out:

•  Cruise & Maritime Voyages in 2017 – at which time it had grown to 5 ships [and is one of the few UK-based cruise lines].  But CMV doesn't have its own Roll Call forum.

•  Virgin Voyages in 2017 – at which time it didn't have any ships but did have ambitious plans [at least 4 new ships and a very different approach] and the Richard Branson publicity machine.  Virgin got its own Roll Call forum last month.

•  Ponant in 2018 – at which point they had grown from 1 ship to 5 and had announced the Explorer Class that is adding another 6 ships to their fleet [starting with 2 launched in 2018].  Ponant still doesn't have its own Roll Call forum.

 

Scenic's move into ocean cruising, even without the delays at the shipyard, was never as ambitious as Virgin or Ponant.  So as Carol said I think it's premature to expect a Scenic Ocean forum at least until the second ship is launched.  But Cruise Critic editors seem excited by Scenic Ocean, so it won't languish here forever.

 

In the meantime, general posts should go here in Other Cruise Lines [with Scenic Eclipse stated in the thread name], and roll calls go in All Other Ocean Cruise Lines Roll Calls.  [Be aware that small ships like these – or the Ponant ship I was just on – don't have enough passengers to generate much Roll Call traffic.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

I don't have any insight into how and when Cruise Critic decides to create a separate forum for a new cruise line.  If you look at the top of this forum, there are stickies that show they spun out:

•  Cruise & Maritime Voyages in 2017 – at which time it had grown to 5 ships [and is one of the few UK-based cruise lines].  But CMV doesn't have its own Roll Call forum.

•  Virgin Voyages in 2017 – at which time it didn't have any ships but did have ambitious plans [at least 4 new ships and a very different approach] and the Richard Branson publicity machine.  Virgin got its own Roll Call forum last month.

•  Ponant in 2018 – at which point they had grown from 1 ship to 5 and had announced the Explorer Class that is adding another 6 ships to their fleet [starting with 2 launched in 2018].  Ponant still doesn't have its own Roll Call forum.

 

Scenic's move into ocean cruising, even without the delays at the shipyard, was never as ambitious as Virgin or Ponant.  So as Carol said I think it's premature to expect a Scenic Ocean forum at least until the second ship is launched.  But Cruise Critic editors seem excited by Scenic Ocean, so it won't languish here forever.

 

In the meantime, general posts should go here in Other Cruise Lines [with Scenic Eclipse stated in the thread name], and roll calls go in All Other Ocean Cruise Lines Roll Calls.  [Be aware that small ships like these – or the Ponant ship I was just on – don't have enough passengers to generate much Roll Call traffic.]

I thought this would be the response and I completely understand. I admit, there has been no news about the building of Eclipse #2 and wonder whether they will build it and where. Maybe they will wait to see how Eclipse #1 bookings go and then decide.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, Carol From California said:

I thought this would be the response and I completely understand. I admit, there has been no news about the building of Eclipse #2 and wonder whether they will build it and where. Maybe they will wait to see how Eclipse #1 bookings go and then decide.   

We were told on board that Scenic have already hire a large team of people to start the final design and negotiate contracts for Eclipse 2. They are thinking they may just get the ship built in one shipyard, still to be decided and have it fitted out by another. The plan is to have it completed within 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the maximum number of passengers on Scenic Eclipse?

Edited by mochuck
To change notification of replies but it seems I can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mochuck said:

What is the maximum number of passengers on Scenic Eclipse?

228.  In the polar regions it may be restricted to 200.  It was that way on Silversea when we went to Antarctica last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, towel-animal said:

So who is the next of us here on this board who will be on the Eclipse? I know some of you are getting on in Miami in October. Anybody before then?

 

On 8/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, towel-animal said:

So who is the next of us here on this board who will be on the Eclipse? I know some of you are getting on in Miami in October. Anybody before then?

We board on September 10 out of NYC.  The first of our three scenic eclipse voyages between and this time next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RockyandMoose said:

 

We board on September 10 out of NYC.  The first of our three scenic eclipse voyages between and this time next year.

Have a WONDERFUL cruise! So jealous we won't be cruising with you until next summer! Carol and Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Carol From California said:

228.  In the polar regions it may be restricted to 200.  It was that way on Silversea when we went to Antarctica last year.  

 So what did you think of Antarctica? It seems like a lot of the same, but I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mochuck said:

 So what did you think of Antarctica? It seems like a lot of the same, but I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Antarctica was spectacular! We went with Silversea, on the Cloud. Beautiful amazing scenery with lots of penguins, seals, whales, icebergs and more! It is an expedition cruise so you go from the ship on zodiac boats and do two landings a day. I thought it was amazing. I loved it so much that we booked the Arctic next summer....this time on the Scenic Eclipse. 

Carol and Bruce1.JPG

Chinstrap Penguins.JPG

Iceberg Framing Ship.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mochuck said:

Great pics. Do they supply the jackets etc?

Yes, Silversea (and most of the expedition cruise companies) provides the jackets.  I assume that Scenic will also be providing jackets. Here are a few more pics.

Leopard Seal on Ice.JPG

Whales 2.JPG

Two Penguins.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note that cruise mapper is showing incorrect itinerary data including the arrival date and port in NY.  It is not Bayonne.  Manhattan cruise terminal is showing it arriving there on the 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RockyandMoose said:

Please note that cruise mapper is showing incorrect itinerary data including the arrival date and port in NY.  It is not Bayonne.  Manhattan cruise terminal is showing it arriving there on the 10th.

 

Dave, the news is saying: Scenic Eclipse: The ship, previously scheduled to call on Portland, Maine, on September 6, will instead arrive Sunday evening on September 8.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4381/

Hopefully it will be able to get to NY in time for your cruise!  Thinking about you and Rocky!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...