Is Carnival still losing the Splendor?

matymil

I could have sworn I read that Carnival sold the Splendor and it was supposed to leave the fleet by the end of the year. I checked google and did a search on here and could not find any info on this. Did the move get cancelled or am I crazy and made this all up? :)

Splendor is doing a 24 day cruise this Fall to Hawaii,Guam, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Ship will dock in Singapore at the end of the cruise. Goes into Dry Dock and, then  Australia I believe.  Legend is coming back to Tampa this Fall so a replacement is needed.

Karen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this on the Orlando sentinel website from Dec 2016.

-To make room, Carnival Splendor will be leaving the fleet in 2019 and head to sister line P&O Cruises Australia, owned by parent company Carnival Cruises Ltd. The 113,300-ton, 3006-passenger Splendor is among the fleet's newer ships, having debuted in 2008. Splendor sails Caribbean itineraries from Miami.

Nevermind I found an article a about a year and a half old that said they canceled the move. No explanation....that would be why I haven't heard about it in while lol.

3 hours ago, matymil said:

Nevermind I found an article a about a year and a half old that said they canceled the move. No explanation....that would be why I haven't heard about it in while lol.

I was wondering the same thing. Our last cruise was on her in 2017 and I thought that was suppose to be her last year with Carnival. Then I saw she she's still part of the fleet and wondered what happened. 

8 hours ago, matymil said:

I could have sworn I read that Carnival sold the Splendor and it was supposed to leave the fleet by the end of the year. I checked google and did a search on here and could not find any info on this. Did the move get cancelled or am I crazy and made this all up? 🙂

She will be going into dry dock to receive Fun Ship 2.0 and a waterpark!

She appears to be going into limbo, as there are no cruises scheduled for her after she sails to Singapore this October.  I could not find her under a new identity in P&O-Australia, either.  EM

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

She appears to be going into limbo, as there are no cruises scheduled for her after she sails to Singapore this October.  I could not find her under a new identity in P&O-Australia, either.  EM

Splendor is moving to Australia under the Carnival brand, similar to Carnival Spirit.  But I believe Carnival's Australia cruises only appear on Carnival's Australia site, not the US carnival.com, so that may be why you're seeing the "limbo". 

5 minutes ago, PalmTree601 said:

Splendor is moving to Australia under the Carnival brand, similar to Carnival Spirit.  But I believe Carnival's Australia cruises only appear on Carnival's Australia site, not the US carnival.com, so that may be why you're seeing the "limbo". 

Yes. the carnival australia site has all of the cruises

42 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Sad.

IMO Splendor is the best ship ever built for Carnival Cruise Line.

The ironic thing is, Splendor wasn't even built for Carnival. It was built for Costa. For whatever reason Costa couldn't or wouldn't take delivery so Carnival took her instead.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

The ironic thing is, Splendor wasn't even built for Carnival. It was built for Costa. For whatever reason Costa couldn't or wouldn't take delivery so Carnival took her instead.

That explains why it is a class in of itself. I always wondered why there was only the one ship in that class.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, five. said:

That explains why it is a class in of itself. I always wondered why there was only the one ship in that class.

Also explains why the color and décor is completely different than any other carnival ship.

1 hour ago, matymil said:

Does anyone know why they canceled the move to P&O? Is this Carnival Australia thing new? Ive never heard of it before

I don’t know an exact date, but it’s been at least a year if not longer since Carnival announced Splendor was moving to Australia. 

We are booked on the Splendor LA to Singapore in October 2019. When she arrives in Singapore she goes to dry dock for a few weeks to be Australianised (including new water slides and water park) and moving Serenity aft. She then repositions Singapore to Sydney in November. She will be home ported in Sydney and sail for Carnival Australia, replacing Legend.

P&O Australia are getting Golden Princess instead of Splendor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Costa built several Concordia class ships, so there is more than one still sailing. 

Correct. Six built, five remain in service including Splendor. 

Having sailed Splendor twice, she still remains my least favorite ship due to no Funship 2.0 upgrades (yet) and very long wait times for YTD seating as we just experienced this March.