Guten Free and Elation

We will be on the Elation 9/21-9/26.  I see where Carnival offers GF options and even a GF beer.  We have also talked directly with Carnival and had them add the GF note to the booking for my wife.  I was curious if anyone had any experience with GF on the ship.  If I read correctly, they have GF bread, and Pizza crust, even GF desserts, and the beer.  

Are the GF items readily available?  Can my wife get a sandwich at the deli on GF bread?  Does the Blue Iguana have corn tortillas?  Anyone had the GF pizza?  Is the GF beer available at all of the bars?  

One more thing, she drinks Almond milk, and uses an Almond milk coffee creamer. You think we could just bring a bottle of her creamer in our carry on?

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.  First cruise we are pretty excited!

-Chris

I have had GF onboard the vista. The bread all was less than desirable with the exception of the GF roll in the deli. My server was conscious of cross contamination and changed out gloves. The Pizza was barely tolerable, a soft corn time crust. The go to dessert is the GF molten chocolate lava cake with ice cream. I believe the Blue Iguana had corn tortillas but not chips. I don’t drink GF beer, I like Hard cider and they had Angry Orchard at all bars.  You can also get a GF burger at Guy’s .I don’t know about the creamer but I did bring a powdered coconut creamer without problems. Good Luck.

I don't have experience with the Vista, but sailed on the Miracle in March with my husband who has celiac disease.  Although we had filled out the special diet form prior to cruising and had letter from the chef waiting for us in our stateroom the staff wasn't prepared for us on the first night in MDR.  It was a rocky first evening service, but every night after that was wonderful.  The dining room staff would give my husband the next night's menu at the end of every meal so he could order and they accomodated every single request he made.

The GF pizza on lido was a hit, and the staff there seemed to be knowledgeable and took special precautions to avoid cross contamination.  The deli staff was not as knowledgeable so that was avoided completely because there was a very high chance he'd get "glutened".

At the Sweet Spot on Lido they would provide dishes of mousses and crustless mousse-type cakes if you asked for something gluten free.  He never received the same thing twice and was never given an option, but was happy to have something sweet during the day.

There was no Guy's on board, but the staff at the Grill did provide gluten free hamburger buns (but would avoid toasting them due to cross contamination issues).  We don't have any experience with Blue Iguana either, sorry.

Angry Orchard was available at all the bars, and gluten free liquors for mixed drinks were plentiful, so you should be fine there.

Enjoy! 🙂

My daughter and I are both GF and just cruised the Elation in March. We told Carnival at our booking. We also met with mairtre d' on embarkation day.  For MDR they will give you the menu for 1st night dinner when you meet with maitre d' to select your meal for that night and guide you what is or can be made GF.  Then each night at dinner you will be given the menu for the next day for all MDR meals and you can select the meals you want to eat.  If you do brunch in MDR you just give them your name when you arrive and they will have your order and know you are GF.

FYI the chocolate lava cake is GF and it's fantasic.

The pizza place offers GF crust.  The deli does have GF bread.  Unfortunately she may want to skip if she is very susceptible to cross contamination.  While they have GF bread and they change gloves and cut on separate cutting board and wrap in a wrap to make bread not touch the panini maker. I witnessed them multiple times take the bread spreader from the non-GF butter and use it in the GF butter to spread on the bread.  

On Lido there really weren't GF desert options at least at lunchtime.  However when they did the chocolate extravaganza we asked about GF options and they actually went and got us something GF which was delic.  

if your wife likes vodka they do have tito's brand and it is included within Cheers package she just has to request when ordering drink.

We both commented at end of cruise how pleased we were that neither of us had gotten accidentally gluttened on the trip at all and how easy carnival made it to still enjoy the food and not risk illness.  

Not on Elation, but our first Carnival cruise last year they were very accommodating with GF. However, the bread was not good, and the pizza on Lido was worse than old school lunch pizza. And when DH and I ordered some chocolate strawberries for our anniversary they came with cake crumbs. So if that's something you want to do for a special occasion, make sure they give you the ones that don't have cake crumbs. My hubby got to eat them all, haha. 

As soon as you board and settle in, go to the main dining room and talk to the person there. They will sit down with you to help you pick your dinner. And like all the others, they will bring you a menu at the end of your meal every night to plan the next evening's dinner. 

On 5/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, Haveuseen1 said:

We will be on the Elation 9/21-9/26.  I see where Carnival offers GF options and even a GF beer.  We have also talked directly with Carnival and had them add the GF note to the booking for my wife.  I was curious if anyone had any experience with GF on the ship.  If I read correctly, they have GF bread, and Pizza crust, even GF desserts, and the beer.  

Are the GF items readily available?  Can my wife get a sandwich at the deli on GF bread?  Does the Blue Iguana have corn tortillas?  Anyone had the GF pizza?  Is the GF beer available at all of the bars?  

One more thing, she drinks Almond milk, and uses an Almond milk coffee creamer. You think we could just bring a bottle of her creamer in our carry on?

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.  First cruise we are pretty excited!

-Chris

If Carnival is still advertising Estrella Daura Damm beer as Gluten Free I can tell you that it is not. There is a lot of debate about this but in the U.S. for sure it cannot be labeled Gluten Free (it is a gluten removed beer). A better choice would be Redbridge beer  or Angry Orchard cider.

For grab and go gluten free at lunch on Elation you have Guy's Burgers (they have GF buns), Blue Iguana (GF tortillas for tacos), Carnival Deli (sandwhiches/subs with GF bread), and Pizza Pirate. (GF pizza made to order) Pizza is available 24 hours. For breakfast and dinner your are best sticking with the main dining rooms.

They probably have almond milk onboard but I don't know for sure. (they definitely do on NCL)