Cruise Critic Community

sailed on the Magellan on around Britain cruise.... the noisiest ship I have ever been on, could barley sleep with the noise, went to the desk and they just shrug there shoulders.... the entertainment must be the biggest joke, think they've just hauled a couple of singers out of a workman mans club, couldn't sing in tune one bit, the karaoke sounded better, that was the best bit of the cruise because it was so funny.... even in the main theatre was a bit of a joke.. with there 1970s comedians and magicians,,, must have been going cheap.......on to the staff, the head barman in Sinatras was incredibly rude on several occasions, the waiters seemed to go out there way to avoid you at times...... into the buffet now, if you like bread and butter pudding, that's great, because that was the only hot dessert the whole cruise, same with pork, that's all the seem to cook, just in a different sauce, I actually dreaded meal times... a couple of time I saw the staff playing on there phone instead of clearing tables.... not only that, but its very hard to get a smile out of half of them..... going offshore was ok, but days at sea were the most boring days you will ever have, the entertainment was laughable.... table tennis tournament for a clientele of basically over 80s..... onto the drinks package now.... my wife brought on a letter from her Dr that basically said due to heath reasons she cannot drink alcohol, the staff at the desk looked at it and said nothing they can do, you must buy two alcohol packages for your cabin or none at all.... believe me there is more that went wrong, but I can't remember everything.... I can honestly say, the day we sailed back into Tilbury  was the best day of the cruise.... as the title says..... sorry Cruise and Maritime.... never again

It seems, from your signature, that you have sailed on this vessel three times previously. Was she quieter then, and was the service any different? It seems strange that things have got so bad since your last trip - June last year, I think. Have you contacted CMV to raise these issues?

On 5/2/2019 at 5:43 AM, Beejay4016 said:

It seems, from your signature, that you have sailed on this vessel three times previously. Was she quieter then, and was the service any different? It seems strange that things have got so bad since your last trip - June last year, I think. Have you contacted CMV to raise these issues?

CMV do not listen to complaints.

6 hours ago, RompinDonkey said:

CMV do not listen to complaints.

My question to the OP was in respect of the fact that they have sailed on the same vessel three times in the near past, and so I wondered whether they had the same issues on those three previous trips or these were problems that arose suddenly.

Re your comment, often a company's response is related to the way in which they are approached - the old saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar. I have found CMV Australia brilliant at responding any queries I raise with them.

Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience on Magellan.  I have only sailed with CMV once, aboard Marco Polo and had a very enjoyable trip to Iceland.  CMV are certainly no P&O, Cunard or Celebrity but I felt my cruise was a good, traditional experience with perfectly acceptable food, service & entertainment.

I do hope you feel able to come back on the board with more details of your thoughts.

Just back from second time to Iceland on Marco Polo and had 6 nights on Magellan last year with another 2 coming up on Magellan. CMV make no pretence about what they are, lower cost, more affordable to a lot who otherwise wouldn't be able to cruise. Each time I've found the crew extremely courteous and willing to engage in conversation. We had some minor issues on the Magellan which were dealt with as soon as they could, within the hour. I'm really sorry that your experience wasn't the same as ours, as others have suggested maybe a little more detail might help others to understand what went so badly wrong that made you decide never again.

19 hours ago, elles5 said:

Just back from second time to Iceland on Marco Polo and had 6 nights on Magellan last year with another 2 coming up on Magellan. CMV make no pretence about what they are, lower cost, more affordable to a lot who otherwise wouldn't be able to cruise. Each time I've found the crew extremely courteous and willing to engage in conversation. We had some minor issues on the Magellan which were dealt with as soon as they could, within the hour. I'm really sorry that your experience wasn't the same as ours, as others have suggested maybe a little more detail might help others to understand what went so badly wrong that made you decide never again.

But they are going on her again - this month (might have already done). Makes one wonder.

I think never again is probably a good idea. No real explaination of what went so badly wrong, we can only presume that the forthcoming cruise was cancelled as the Magellan's and CMV fall short of the OP's  standards. I love sea days but I am an adult and can think ahead, I know what entertainment is provided, plenty of it, but not all to my taste so I indulge myself in reading, talking to friends made on board, just sitting, watching the sea, writing my journal so I don't forget things as, although not 80 I am probably out of the OP's acceptable age bracket, and I do forget things. In my mind I set out with the thought that my Cruise will be whatever I make it and I make very sure that I get the most I am able to get from it. Sorry for the long post but lost opportunities sadden me and in my dealings with CMV when I've had problems there has been mutual cooperation, leaving me free to enjoy the wonderful experience of being at sea.

I am going on Columbus soon , first time with CMV, and the OP has certainly not put me off. Like elles5 I tend to make my own entertainment on sea days... which can be anything from people watching, reading, joining in quizzes, deck games and the like... or just having a chill out watching the sea. It is just such a joy to be able to cruise and see different destinations, have my meals prepared for me, and the washing up done. I have never had bad food on any of the cruises I have been lucky enough to go on... yes the occasional meal not to my taste, or perhaps not as hot as should be, but I will enjoy my holiday. 

Strange the OP has never come back to explain him/herself...and as others have pointed out, he /she has been on Magellan more than once....

On 5/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, BritishLandS said:

But you are going on her again this month? Or have you cancelled?

cancelled.....