Cruise Critic Community
#1Nanna

Royal Princess Cabin Light Switch

We will be on the Royal Princess on Sat. I am just curious, if they are no longer issuing cruise cards on the Royal, how do the cabin light switches operate now?

there is one in the slot at all times now taken care of by your room steward.......

Ok. As I said, I was just curious. Thanks for your reply. 

1 hour ago, Qcruise said:

there is one in the slot at all times now taken care of by your room steward.......

That's interesting because having the electricity "on" all the time defeats the original purpose of why those slots were installed.

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's interesting because having the electricity "on" all the time defeats the original purpose of why those slots were installed.

He will take it out and angle it in the socket so the lights go off.....when you come in you must put it in correctly to get lights on

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

He will take it out and angle it in the socket so the lights go off.....when you come in you must put it in correctly to get lights on

Thanks for the information.  I am glad that they figured out a way of still being energy efficient.  

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, Qcruise said:

When I was on Royal Princess pre-medallion I brought a card from a previous cruise to leave in the slot. The steward did the above when he serviced the cabin each morning and evening. One day I failed to return to the cabin straightaway after breakfast and it was blazing hot in there until I put the card back. So for those who say removing the card does not reduce the air con, sorry but I am now quite certain it does.

4 hours ago, Qcruise said:

'fraid not. We're currently on the Royal, and the card came with the room and Stewart doe not touch it. It stays in the slot at all times and you don't have to remove, and in fact aren't supposed to remove it. The card says "Please keep card inserted. Stateroom upgrades include low energy environmentally friendly lighting and TV". If you do remove it, the lights do go off.

I was on the Royal last week and our Steward did angle the card so the lights would go off.  I guess each Steward has his own philosophy on the subject.

I bring a small plug in digital clock with me because my iPhone goes wonky every time I'm on a cruise. I'm going to ask the steward to leave the card in the slot for this reason, so I don't have to keep re-setting the time on it. I'll just be sure to turn off all the lights when I'm out of the cabin.

1 hour ago, herbQ said:

I was on the Royal last week and our Steward did angle the card so the lights would go off.  I guess each Steward has his own philosophy on the subject.

I just got off the Royal Saturday and our steward also always left the card at an angle and we would have to push it back in the slot.

13 hours ago, lx200gps said:

'fraid not. We're currently on the Royal, and the card came with the room and Stewart doe not touch it. It stays in the slot at all times and you don't have to remove, and in fact aren't supposed to remove it. The card says "Please keep card inserted. Stateroom upgrades include low energy environmentally friendly lighting and TV". If you do remove it, the lights do go off.

That's correct.....we were aboard the Royal in April ....the card stays in the slot as you said.....however OUR steward would pull it up and set it half out of slot so it would not activate the lighting,  thus saving power.  When we returned to our stateroom we would need to set it into slot correctly to activate the lights.  Maybe YOUR steward does not do this.

20 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

That's correct.....we were aboard the Royal in April ....the card stays in the slot as you said.....however OUR steward would pull it up and set it half out of slot so it would not activate the lighting,  thus saving power.  When we returned to our stateroom we would need to set it into slot correctly to activate the lights.  Maybe YOUR steward does not do this.

Apparently she doesn't, she leaves the card inserted at all times. It's curious though, why the card clearly states "Please Keep Card Inserted" and talks about "...stateroom upgrades..." relating to lower power requirements. We had never seen that before on any other Princess ship the card slot.

Some stewards are told to remove the card although we always tell them him to leave it in place as we always leave a bed side light on at night so the cabin isn't completely dark when returning. 

The only way the power saving feature will really work is when they integrate it with the medallion to shut everything off when both people are out of the cabin. (except the outlets & AC)

I couldn't keep my electric tooth brush charged on an early sailing of the Regal. Wonder what will happen on the Majestic next winter.

The prime purpose of making these stateroom slots to activate/deactivate the stateroom's electricity use was to save energy which would save the fuel needed to provide such energy and was deemed to be environmentally friendly which is a Carnival Corporation priority.  Stateroom A/C, I have been told by ships' Environmental Officers, require a very large electrical load for the A/C to operate.  Reducing that electrical load saves money and is energy efficient, helping to meet Corporate goals.

The reports that Stateroom Stewards on different ships do different things with this issue is disappointing to learn.  The "Best Practices" philosophy is emphasized on the Corporate level among the cruise brands.  And, I would think that this thinking would also apply to individual Princess Cruise vessels.

21 hours ago, vjblk said:

I just got off the Royal Saturday and our steward also always left the card at an angle and we would have to push it back in the slot.

Same with our room steward on the Royal a couple of weeks ago.  We'd never been on a ship that had this feature in the past but I read about it on these boards.  Thankfully, I did otherwise, not sure I would have figured that out on my own.  

Anyway, once we saw him leave it at a slant, we'd do the same anytime we left the room.  It was fine and didn't seem to affect the air conditioning one bit.