Cruise Critic Community
CruiseCriticAUeditor

The latest statistics about Australian cruise passengers - report released today

the golden princess generally goes to Alaska during our winter ....

One day would like to do the round Australia.. but it is always booked out.....

I would like more ships to cover longer cruises particularly of our winter.

Cheers Don

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

the golden princess generally goes to Alaska during our winter ....

One day would like to do the round Australia.. but it is always booked out.....

I would like more ships to cover longer cruises particularly of our winter.

Cheers Don

Golden did one winter here just after Dawn went to P&O but since then Golden has resumed the Alaska runs.

You need to be ready to book as soon as the itineraries are released for the Australian circumnavigation. Usually there is some advance warning as to when those itineraries go on sale. 

It's such a shame that Princess seems to have abandoned winter cruising here. Actually more than a shame, seriously annoying!

I suspect this a deliberate strategy by the cruise lines to remove ships.  Then they return them to increased  demand and higher returns.  I've seen this done elsewhere overseas. 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and the ships go fuller.

Unless the customers go elsewhere.

Maybe they'll be back next winter, after a less successful season this year in Alaska.  There are a number of new ships going to Alaska this season, so more competition.  I regularly receive special deals for cruising in Alaska, from an American TA, which sells last minute offers.  

I agree with OzKiwiJJ that Australian circumnavigation or Across the Top End cruises were very popular.

I can't understand why they don't have return cruises to Darwin in winter.  You only have to look at a map to see the number of different places ships could visit to and fro along the NT and Qld. Coasts.  Not to mention Papua New Guinea.  The NT Government gave 1.1/2 million to "Top End Wedding".  I hope they get a good return on their investment, with an increase in overseas tourists. 

Not sure how a wedding will help the cruise industry but will take anything to get a better winter season.

Very skinny year for sailing out of Melbourne. We are booked on the next Princess ship out of Melbourne in October 2019. 

32 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Very skinny year for sailing out of Melbourne. We are booked on the next Princess ship out of Melbourne in October 2019. 

We sailed in February and are now waiting November for our next princess cruise...

Cheers Don

38 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Potentially rough seas in Bass Strait are probably the reason the cruise lines don't operate out of Melbourne over winter. Ditto NZ and the Tasman Sea, although the world cruise and Hawaii/Tahiti cruises stop in Auckland and the Bay of Islands.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure how a wedding will help the cruise industry but will take anything to get a better winter season.

The NT Government has spent 1 million on publicity.  Surely the cruise industry is listening.  The movie, Top End Wedding" has spectacular scenery of Darwin, NT and Kiwi Islands, as well as beautiful music.  Certainly reminded me to go back for another visit.

Maybe Dream Cruises will recognise the untapped opportunity for cruises to and from Darwin during the winter (dry season).  I cruised with them to Darwin, when their ship, Superstar Leo, returned from Australia to Asia, after the SARS Epidemic.   

Edited by MMDown Under

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The NT Government has spent 1 million on publicity.  Surely the cruise industry is listening.  The movie, Top End Wedding" has spectacular scenery of Darwin, NT and Kiwi Islands, as well as beautiful music.  Certainly reminded me to go back for another visit.

Maybe Dream Cruises will recognise the untapped opportunity for cruises to and from Darwin during the winter (dry season).  I cruised with them to Darwin, when their ship, Superstar Leo, returned from Australia to Asia, after the SARS Epidemic.   

Okay a movie, would explain it.

Has NZ moved or do you mean the Tiwi islands😋

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay a movie, would explain it.

Has NZ moved or do you mean the Tiwi islands😋

Yes Tiwi Islands, which are beautiful islands for a visit. 

On 5/2/2019 at 5:31 PM, VK3DQ said:

The Low % of Victorians cruising is a direct reflection of the low number of Melbourne departures .. a "new" cruise terminal is urgently needed if Melbourne is to remain a viable cruise port...

Station Pier is a real mess .. just hope it not raining when you next use it

Regards

John

From 23rd December 2020 to April 2021 the Celebrity Eclipse will have Melbourne as its homeport .

I cruised the Top End from Fremantle to Sydney seven years ago and would do it again if I could.  Pity there aren’t more ships doing circumnavigations.  

I would fly to Darwin for cruises too.  It would still be cheaper than return flights to London, Rome or Miami, and a lot shorter!

12 hours ago, Port Power said:

I cruised the Top End from Fremantle to Sydney seven years ago and would do it again if I could.  Pity there aren’t more ships doing circumnavigations.  

I would fly to Darwin for cruises too.  It would still be cheaper than return flights to London, Rome or Miami, and a lot shorter!

Since Princess got rid of Dawn Princess they've cut right back on doing the Top End cruises over winter, which is a big shame as it's an ideal itinerary for that time of year.

Circumnavigation timing is tricky. Summer hss stinking hot conditions across the top half and winter has rough seas across the bottom half. Since it takes close to a month to go right around that limits those cruises to autumn or spring, and I imagine Princess relies on retirees to fill the ships as younger folks can't afford that length of time for a cruise. That's probably why P&O don't offer that itinerary either - they target a younger market with short cruises. The other cruise lines are seasonal visitors and know that they can fill their ships more easily in other regions over our winter.