Advice for killing time prior to cruise

Good Morning,

We touch down in Ft. Lauderdale airport at approximately 7:30 am of the day of our cruise.  We plan to uber to port of Miami which is where we sail out of.  We definitely want to get to the port early, however, this may be just a tad too early;-)  Any advice to how we can kill sometime keeping in mind we will have all of our luggage with us?  I was kinda hoping there would be a plaza close to port with a grocery store (so we can pick up wine and odds and ends prior to the cruise) and a breakfast place to kill some time...

By the time you collect your luggage, pick up whatever you need and drive to Miami, plus have breakfast, I don’t think you will need to kill time.

Many people fly in the day before just to be safe - thinking flight/ baggage /traffic delays. You will be fine heading to the port. You can check in and boarding usually starts around 11:00. 

• Like 1

I agree with the above. By the time you actually get to Miami there won't be too much time left to kill. I would definitely wait until we were in Miami to have a leisurely breakfast or to do shopping.

There is a Whole Foods very close to the port (downtown) - we usually stay in the Courtyard across the street.  Breakfast available as well as wine and other drinks, snacks as needed for your trip.  I also treat myself to a bouquet of fresh flowers for our cabin.

By the time you get your luggage and get outside, it will be after 9.  Your Uber drive to the port will take an hour.  It is problematic to take an Uber and make a stop for shopping, and I would just go to the port.

Possibly you take a an Uber to a restaurant and have breakfast and then Uber to the terminal.  But I'd just get to the ship, be hungry and hit the buffet when you get on.

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

You can bring flowers ON the ship?

Usually it isn't a problem bringing them on the ship but in many (most?) ports you can't bring them off.

• Like 1

You will still have somewhat of a wait before boarding begins.....just don't be rushed...and yes, you may bring flowers ON to the ship.  You will have to leave them behind, if they survive the entire trip, tho.

• Like 1

You are also assuming that your flight will arrive on time.

A bit late, and you will not be worrying about killing time, but getting to the ship before it sails. 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

You are also assuming that your flight will arrive on time.

A bit late, and you will not be worrying about killing time, but getting to the ship before it sails. 

That happens more often than people think. We like to come in the night before.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:12 AM, Grandma Dazzles said:

By the time you collect your luggage, pick up whatever you need and drive to Miami, plus have breakfast, I don’t think you will need to kill time.

Many people fly in the day before just to be safe - thinking flight/ baggage /traffic delays. You will be fine heading to the port. You can check in and boarding usually starts around 11:00. 

I also essentially agree with this.  Last November, we sailed from Miami but flew in/out of Ft. Lauderdale (SW Air!).  We arrived the night before and stayed in Miami.  When we left the ship, I was surprised that the drive by to Fort Lauderdale was pretty slow going.  If you arrive at 7:30, you'll have your bags ready to go no sooner than 8:15, I would think.  Assume an hour getting to the port.  So for me, the only question would be...what to do about breakfast.  Eat at the airport?  Find a place near the port, and uber there first and then get a new uber to the port?  (that's probably what we'd do).  But by 10:30 - 11 is not too early to arrive at the port, so I don't think you'll actually have that much time to kill.

It's easy for us to say, not knowing your budget or time constraints, but arriving the day before is so much less stressful.  I've cruised 8 times.  In all but one case, we arrived at least the day before and had no issues and always found fun stuff to do in the city, even if it's just for an evening.  But one time, we flew in day of the cruise.  That was from Albuquerque (my city) to LA.  Early flight, due to arrive in LAX at 8:30, with MORE than enough time to get to the port.  Well...fog arrived in ABQ (a twice a year at most event) and delayed us 3 hours.  We still made it onto the ship without much trouble, but we arrived after cabins were open and the ship was kind of a madhouse, and it just wasn't relaxing at all.  For us, it was a lesson learned.