Cruise Critic Community

Hi All,

First time cruiser going on the Oasis in September with my GF.

I was looking at pictures of the main dining hall and it looks like most of the tables are round with 6 chairs.

Are all the tables like this? And as a couple, would you get seated on a large table with others randomly?

This question came to mind because I recently watched "Like Father" which is set on Harmony of the seas and the couples seemed to be grouped together this way also.

Just wondering, not because I don't like interacting with strangers but I know my girlfriend would feel awkward 😄

If you have traditional (fixed) dining, you will likely be put at a table with others.

If you have My Time (MTD) Dining, you will be at a table alone, unless you specify otherwise.

Regarding the movie and the dining room, the dining scenes were NOT shot in the Harmony  main dining rooms.  They were shot in Coastal Kitchen,  a separate dining venue reserved  for suite guests. If you are booked in a standard cabin ( interior, ocean view, balcony )  you may want  to  Google  RCCL main dining room to get a better idea of the actual room  set up. 

Enjoy

M

You can request a table for two by calling prior to your cruise. You may also have some luck if you talk to the dining room staff when you first board. I've always requested a small table prior to sailing and it is typically honored. I always do traditional dining. 

You can also email a request to rcldining@rccl.com . Last cruise I emailed them about 3 weeks before our cruise on Adventure requesting a table for two, with a secondary request of near a porthole. Both requests were granted.

If that doesn't work (and you have fixed dining)  after you board, scout out the dining room and see what your table looks like. There will likely be someone there handling dining request changes and you might be able to get a two-top assignment then.

Try to get a table for 2 along the balcony.  Just about every other table for 2 is no more than a foot or so from the next table.  Make your first stop after boarding a trip to MDR to make a change. happy cruising

We always make our dining room request when we book, and it is always honored (traditional dining).  

Select MyTime Dining. You're not tied to a dining time (especially on the Oasis class ships where entertainment is sprinkled at all times). You either book a time each night of your choosing around the shows, or you can just walk up at any time (there may be a short wait) and get a table for two. 

Or just not use the Main Dining Room, unless you absolutely love to.  We have decided that we may not even use the MDR at all, or if we do, very infrequently.  With 3 kids, it’s sometimes a safer bet to either go to WJ or book a specialty if the kids are in AO.

Posted (edited)

From my understanding, on Allure, there are 3 areas used for Main Dining, so which would be utilized for MTD or could/would it be all three? 

Edited by Mr. Candyman

1 minute ago, Mr. Candyman said:

From my understanding there are 3 areas used for Main Dining, so which would be utilized for MTD or could/would it be all three? 

Our most recent experience was on Adventure and they used deck 3 for MTD and decks 4 & 5 for traditional.  This can vary by ship.  Some ships have 4 areas, some have 2.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Our most recent experience was on Adventure and they used deck 3 for MTD and decks 4 & 5 for traditional.  This can vary by ship.  Some ships have 4 areas, some have 2.

I realized I didn't mention the ship afterwards...I edited the post but am talking about Allure.

1 minute ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I realized I didn't mention the ship afterwards...I edited the post but am talking about Allure.

I believe Allure is also using deck 3 for My Time.

Thanks Bob!  With a family of six, (outside of making the daily reservations) would you advise anything else that we might need to inform the dining staff about?  I'm not concerned about sitting with other guests, but at the same time, sitting by ourselves might get us out earlier for shows than having other guests joining.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Thanks Bob!  With a family of six, (outside of making the daily reservations) would you advise anything else that we might need to inform the dining staff about?  I'm not concerned about sitting with other guests, but at the same time, sitting by ourselves might get us out earlier for shows than having other guests joining.

If you are assigned to My Time, they you will likely be seated at a table with only your party.  You have to request to sit with others.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If you are assigned to My Time, they you will likely be seated at a table with only your party.  You have to request to sit with others.

Good to know....thanks again!