Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
KillerP

CELEBRITY GRATUITIES NOW 20%

Recommended Posts

Just on Celebrity website looking to book Classic Beverage Package and noticed in text that a 20% gratuity will be added at checkout.

I guess every thing has to go up at some stage. Except the rain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is double dipping.  Not only does the price of a drink or beveratge package increase, but then the gratuity on top of the more expensive cocktail pulls in more cash for the corporation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, barric said:

This is double dipping.  Not only does the price of a drink or beveratge package increase, but then the gratuity on top of the more expensive cocktail pulls in more cash for the corporation.  

The increased cost of the cocktail/beverage packages increases the cash for the corporation assuming beverage cost remained fixed. The increased gratuity on the aforementioned increases cash to the servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We heard about the increase when we were on the Eclipse in early April.  

Im guessing this also applies to the gratuties for spa services & fitness classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RCCL reported strong profits yesterday, and the stock price surged.  All these price increases seem to be helping the bottom line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t care how much they mark it up. 20% of $0 is 0, and that’s what we spend. They have the right to charge whatever they want and I have the right to not pay it. Any monies we spend, we spend in port where we have more options in materials and pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been posted and discussed several weeks ago. It does not matter to us as we have the package as a perk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tourist1292 said:

This has been posted and discussed several weeks ago. It does not matter to us as we have the package as a perk.

You do realize that you are paying for those perks in the increased cost for your cruise.  We recently did a last minute Celebrity booking (with no perks) where our cost per person/day for a nice balcony cabin is about $100.  When combined with our Elite Plus benefits this will be a lot less expensive then if we had booked the same cruise with a few perks.   Always remember there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free perks).

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jelayne said:

We heard about the increase when we were on the Eclipse in early April.  

Im guessing this also applies to the gratuties for spa services & fitness classes.

 

I was just looking at the Celebrity app for my Summit cruise in a few weeks.  They talk about 20% on drinks but say spa and other services are still 18%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jelayne said:

We heard about the increase when we were on the Eclipse in early April.  

Im guessing this also applies to the gratuties for spa services & fitness classes.

 

Are cruise ships the only places that add on a 20% gratuity for a Zumba class?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You do realize that you are paying for those perks in the increased cost for your cruise.  We recently did a last minute Celebrity booking (with no perks) where our cost per person/day for a nice balcony cabin is about $100.  When combined with our Elite Plus benefits this will be a lot less expensive then if we had booked the same cruise with a few perks.   Always remember there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free perks).

 

Hank

I added those perks during a cabin upgrade after final payment. I actually saved money as the upgrade cost is less than the OBC that I got. Anyway, even if I choose the two perks at the time of booking, the additional cost is less than $500. So the net cost for two classic packages  for 7 day would be only around $150 including gratuity. It is always a YMMV depending on what Celebrity and your TA offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KillerP said:

Just on Celebrity website looking to book Classic Beverage Package and noticed in text that a 20% gratuity will be added at checkout.

I guess every thing has to go up at some stage. Except the rain.

 

 

That's their plan - higher prices - less service - see how far that takes them.

 

Good luck getting a drink on board ... No servers- Crowded Bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I really don’t care how much they mark it up. 20% of $0 is 0, and that’s what we spend. They have the right to charge whatever they want and I have the right to not pay it. Any monies we spend, we spend in port where we have more options in materials and pricing.

 

I wonder what the next step will be? Follow  NCL's lead and charge you the taxes on the 'Freebies'? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

This has been posted and discussed several weeks ago. It does not matter to us as we have the package as a perk.

Well good for you. I too usually have the package as a perk but recognise that I am paying for it anyway. 

I can also feel the pain for those who don’t have the perk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion:

 

The corporate plan is to get as many people to choose the drink package perk as possible as most will have a few drinks on board - but not enough to cover the value of the perk. At the same time they have cut back on servers

( saving money ) as there is no incentive for them to provide the service as they already have your money via the perk.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You do realize that you are paying for those perks in the increased cost for your cruise.  We recently did a last minute Celebrity booking (with no perks) where our cost per person/day for a nice balcony cabin is about $100.  When combined with our Elite Plus benefits this will be a lot less expensive then if we had booked the same cruise with a few perks.   Always remember there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free perks).

 

Hank

I did the math once for one of our Hawaii cruises. We booked a S2 cabin with 4 perks or without 4 perks. The cost of the 4 perks were $1000 per person. We are Elite Plus so it does may sense if your cruise is about getting the best deal. I like the convenience of not having to sign out of wifi or not having to sign for drinks. Our March 2020 cruise Chile to San Diego is a reposition cruise. So no 4 perks with cabin. I'm not sure if 270 free mins is enough mins for a 15 night cruise. I enjoy my wine with dinner so do buy a wine package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief ! 20% !!!!!

 

I don't know how they can justify it. Their drinks are so much more expensive than other cruise lines that it is becoming a farce. E.g. In August on Connie a bottle of 30 cls Peroni was $10  (plus the 18% gratuity). Last week the same bottle was £4.25 from the mini bar on P&O (no additional gratuity). I.e. $5.9. This was from the cabin mini bar so I am guessing that the cost in the bar was even cheaper.

 

I understand gratuities etc and often give staff over and above, but I do object to them taking the mickey ….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I really don’t care how much they mark it up. 20% of $0 is 0, and that’s what we spend. They have the right to charge whatever they want and I have the right to not pay it. Any monies we spend, we spend in port where we have more options in materials and pricing.

But you're hurting the people that serve you, cabin stewards, waiters, etc.  Most of the staff work hard and don't make a lot via the salary they get.  But don't worry folks, we make up for the stingy cruisers out there, not only do we leave the automatic gratuities on our account; but since 2003, we've always provided an envelope at the end of our cruise, (if you know what I mean).   And I'm sure there are a lot of travelers out there,  that do the same, Happy Cruisin' All.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You do realize that you are paying for those perks in the increased cost for your cruise.  We recently did a last minute Celebrity booking (with no perks) where our cost per person/day for a nice balcony cabin is about $100.  When combined with our Elite Plus benefits this will be a lot less expensive then if we had booked the same cruise with a few perks.   Always remember there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free perks).

 

Hank

Hank, You got that right.  Celebrity's perks with bundling have seriously raised cruise prices.  Even the new price choice of no perks is still inflated.   We are not heavy drinkers and don't imbibe until the happy hour.  We are elite and take advantage of that and only drink a glass or two of wine with dinner.   We now look mainly for repos and TA cruises that we can fly to Europe and do a land trip, then cruise home.   Still, we now find that Celebrity's TA cruises are more expensive than what we can do on Royal Caribbean.   NCL has had the 20% gratuity on the beverage package, even when a promo on booking.  We usually don't pick that promo and bring our own wine and pay the $15 per bottle corkage.  Still way cheaper than JUST the 20%.

 

We have even started looking at MSC, since some of our friends have done that line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Hank, You got that right.  Celebrity's perks with bundling have seriously raised cruise prices.  Even the new price choice of no perks is still inflated.   We are not heavy drinkers and don't imbibe until the happy hour.  We are elite and take advantage of that and only drink a glass or two of wine with dinner.   We now look mainly for repos and TA cruises that we can fly to Europe and do a land trip, then cruise home.   Still, we now find that Celebrity's TA cruises are more expensive than what we can do on Royal Caribbean.   NCL has had the 20% gratuity on the beverage package, even when a promo on booking.  We usually don't pick that promo and bring our own wine and pay the $15 per bottle corkage.  Still way cheaper than JUST the 20%.

 

We have even started looking at MSC, since some of our friends have done that line.

We tried our first MSC cruise this past Nov-Dec when we spent 21 days on the Divina in the Yacht Club.  Both DW and I were blown away by the level or service and perks we got in the Yacht Club.  In fact, I have since posted that it might be the best deal in all of cruising.  While not inexpensive, what MSC gives you in the YC is lightyears ahead of any other cruise line's offerings.  Consider that you get a truly deluxe cabin (MSC calls it a suite), and access to an expansive private lounge, private sun deck, pool, spas, pool café, private restaurant, and just about any kind of drink you want (all included) throughout the ship.  Inside the Yacht Club, which is essentially a ship within a ship, nobody even asks to see your cruise card.  If you want a Mimosa made with fresh squeezed OJ and French Champagne you simply ask.   Want a martini made with Belvedere...just ask. Have any kind of issue you just ask the Concierge (available 24 hrs a day).  Never a need to wait in line at Guest Relations as the Yacht Club's Concierge can take care of just about anything.  And all this for about $300 per passenger/day.  On the other hand, once you leave the sanctuary of the Yacht Club (that part of the ship is only accessible with a YC key card) you are out with the masses and its similar to lines like Carnival.

 

But here is the reality for us.  We have now booked cruise #2 and #3 on MSC (in the Yacht Club) which replaces what used to be Celebrity cruises on our personal schedule.  We will still cruise on Celebrity (have one coming up later this month) but only when we can snag a bargain last minute fare.  We no longer think that Celebrity is a good value (with their usual prices and perks) when compared to some other cruise lines and options.  Celebrity has been too busy increasing prices and cutting back on many little things onboard...and they have lost their advantage over many other lines.  On our upcoming Seabourn cruise we are paying less then half of what it would cost to get a comparable suite and perks on Celebrity.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the tips goes to the staff I have no problem with the increase.  These men and women work extremely hard and in many if not most cases their money goes to support their families.  I feel if we can afford to cruise then we can afford to tip generously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forecheck said:

 

That's their plan - higher prices - less service - see how far that takes them.

 

Good luck getting a drink on board ... No servers- Crowded Bars.

That's the irony of increasing the gratuities on the  bevs.....hardly anyone comes around at the pool,  and even in the clubs you have to go up to the bar,  edge your way in and hope someones takes your order.  Seems there are fewer sommeliers per dining rm as well, thus slower service.

 

Servers in the theater are an exception...they have a limited time to get the orders and drinks out...and collect empty glasses.  They deserve battle pay!  I also assume specialty bartenders like Martini Bar Stars...get an equal share of the grats but more cash tips???

 

Question Will the grat  increase when you  get a drink priced over your plan?  So the diff would be  between the allowable amt  and the drink  price plus 20% on the diff.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm o glad that I booked way before this farce, and have up graded our drink pkg, so I'm good to go, but unfortunately, due to their current pricing structure, this may be our last X cruise. By the way, we're on the Equinox next December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I did the math once for one of our Hawaii cruises. We booked a S2 cabin with 4 perks or without 4 perks. The cost of the 4 perks were $1000 per person. We are Elite Plus so it does may sense if your cruise is about getting the best deal. I like the convenience of not having to sign out of wifi or not having to sign for drinks. Our March 2020 cruise Chile to San Diego is a reposition cruise. So no 4 perks with cabin. I'm not sure if 270 free mins is enough mins for a 15 night cruise. I enjoy my wine with dinner so do buy a wine package.

 

The 3/20 Chili to San Diego cruise can now have the perks options added (for a price of course).  We are booked on that one as well as the previous cruise around The Horn.  "For us" the math penciled out to add the 2 perks option to the booking.  As always, your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...