Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I helped a couple of first time cruisers put together their honeymoon on the Allure of the Seas this weekend.  I was happy we found a great direct flight that arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 10am and told them they would be enjoying their first delicious salad bar and beef on a bun at the Park Cafe before noon.  Unfortunately, today they received notice of the propulsion issue on the Allure and that they would not be permitted to board before 4pm and they should not go to the terminal before 4pm. 

 

So now they are asking me what they can do from 10am until 4pm other than sit in the airport and stare at their luggage.   I don't think they'd be up for an everglades tour as I did read that was something others have considered.  Does anyone have any good suggestions that I can pass along to them?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad they didn't arrive the day before at 10am, spend a full day in Florida, and go from the hotel to pier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI

 

It is the air show 

 

and 

 

Fleetweek in Fll

 

So, if you are out and about, alot to do.

 

Congratulations.

 

Sea you on board.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They could choose to go to one of the hotels close to the pier and have an early lunch in the hotel restaurant.  You don't have to be a guest of the hotel in order to do so.  They could then arrange a shuttle or uber to the pier.  The Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina is nicely located just around the corner from the 17th Street Causeway entrance of the port on Eisenhower Blvd.  You can have lunch and sit outside by the pool and enjoy the view of the yachts which are "parked" next to the hotel.

Edited by goncruzn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Anchor Banker said:

I helped a couple of first time cruisers put together their honeymoon on the Allure of the Seas this weekend.  I was happy we found a great direct flight that arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 10am and told them they would be enjoying their first delicious salad bar and beef on a bun at the Park Cafe before noon.  Unfortunately, today they received notice of the propulsion issue on the Allure and that they would not be permitted to board before 4pm and they should not go to the terminal before 4pm. 

 

So now they are asking me what they can do from 10am until 4pm other than sit in the airport and stare at their luggage.   I don't think they'd be up for an everglades tour as I did read that was something others have considered.  Does anyone have any good suggestions that I can pass along to them?   

 

To be clear the delayed ability to get on the ship has nothing to do with Allure of the seas propulsion issues. Allure of the seas has always had a delayed arrival time and sail away of 8pm this day. 

 

Allure of the seas is currently on its last sailing out of Miami. 

 

Along with Harmony of the seas is on its last sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. Both ships must return to their original ports before they can sail to their new ports.

 

Allure can’t leave Miami for Ft Lauderdale until all her passengers are off the ship. And Allure can’t go into Ft Lauderdale until Harmony has disembarked all her passengers and  then sail to Port Canaveral. 

Edited by MrFunInTheSun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Anchor Banker said:

Well, if they did that they would miss their wedding!

 

Okay - so fine - they probably can’t be there a day early! Hahaha - great reply!

 

i like the suggestions of going to a restaurant that overlooks the pier / water etc.   Have a hotel bellservice hold the luggage, enjoy the mid-day escapades of the ships heading in/out, as after Lady Allure arrives - head to the port for check in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

 

To be clear the delayed ability to get on the ship has nothing to do with Allure of the seas propulsion issues. Allure of the seas has always had a delayed arrival time and sail away of 8pm this day. 

 

Allure of the seas is currently on its last sailing out of Miami. 

 

Along with Harmony of the seas is on its last sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. Both ships must return to their original ports before they can sail to their new ports.

 

Allure can’t leave Miami for Ft Lauderdale until all her passengers are off the ship. And Allure can’t go into Ft Lauderdale until Harmony has disembarked all her passengers and  then sail to Port Canaveral. 

I'm not sure if that's the case or not but they said their original scheduled boarding time was 12pm and it was changed yesterday to after 4pm.  The letter explained there was an issue with the ship's speed and there was also a reduction in the amount of time in port in San Juan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goncruzn said:

They could choose to go to one of the hotels close to the pier and have an early lunch in the hotel restaurant.  You don't have to be a guest of the hotel in order to do so.  They could then arrange a shuttle or uber to the pier.  The Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina is nicely located just around the corner from the 17th Street Causeway entrance of the port on Eisenhower Blvd.  You can have lunch and sit outside by the pool and enjoy the view of the yachts which are "parked" next to the hotel.

This is a great idea and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it myself since we stayed here a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Anchor Banker said:

I'm not sure if that's the case or not but they said their original scheduled boarding time was 12pm and it was changed yesterday to after 4pm.  The letter explained there was an issue with the ship's speed and there was also a reduction in the amount of time in port in San Juan.

 

 

The earliest and first check in time available is 230. It is true a letter was sent out talking about the propulsion issues but that was in reference to a port time change in San Juan and St Maarten. The letter did encourage folks to arrive after 4 but that reference was in general because of the arrival of the ship from Miami. Knowing that over 6k folks will want to get there early, they are trying to push as many folks to arrive as late as possible to avoid the madhouse they already know it will be along with a terminal that can’t hold that many passengers until its time to board the ship. 

 

Bad timing really two separate things going on during this ships transition to Ft Lauderdale. 

 

 

 

D1967F3A-8E56-464D-9FA9-BA43A68228A1_zps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could rent a car and do some sightseeing.  Lot's to do in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.  That way they could keep their luggage in the trunk and see what they want.  Go to a nice restaurant for lunch, etc.  They could either drop the  car back at the airport or drop it at one of the cruiseport car rental agencies and catch a shuttle to the ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...