Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
michelle-nh

Barcelona Airport to Hotel Transportation

Recommended Posts

We’re arriving in Barcelona a day before our cruise (a few weeks from now) and staying at a hotel in the Gothic Quarter. We always use Uber when we travel but just read they outlawed Uber there earlier this year. What will be the best way to get to our hotel? Will there be lots of taxis outside the airport or should we arrange something ahead of time? Any advice? Two of us, two suitcases, and two carry ons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taxi's will be lined up and waiting...absolutely no need to worry about this.

We'll be there again for our pre-cruise on the 16th for a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Taxi's will be lined up and waiting...absolutely no need to worry about this.

 

Thank you! Do the taxis take credit cards? Or should we make sure to exchange for some Euros before leaving the airport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, michelle-nh said:

 

Thank you! Do the taxis take credit cards? Or should we make sure to exchange for some Euros before leaving the airport?

Not sure as we always carry Euros for little things like this.....I'm never too keen on using my credit card if I don't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used Welcome Pickups in March and are reserving them today for our cruise in 2 weeks.  Don't remember price in March for just the 2 of us but for 5 plus 8 pieces of luggage to Gothic Quarter about 70 euros paid on credit card.  The driver will be waiting for you at the airport with a sign.  Easy to reserve online.  Have a great trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, love to cruise 2017 said:

we booked next year from Barcelona on RCI ...what is a good hotel near the port??? any thoughts  

 

Don't worry about being near the port. You will probably take a taxi, so the cost difference is negligible between near to port and better located to see the sights. Choose somewhere well located to see Barcelona rather than save 5 minutes in a taxi.
 

I have either stayed at the following, have booked them for my next visit or thought they were very good choices in my search. The first ones are located more centrally for sight seeing.

 

H10 Madison

Hotel Barcelona Catedral

Hotel 1898

Yurbban Passage Hotel & Spa

Hotel Jazz

Hotel Lleo

Hotel REC Barcelona

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll agree with Hotel 1898 & Hotel Jazz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We plan to take a taxi from the airport to our hotel but can someone comment how much of a language barrier we may encounter?  Typically we use Uber because the driver already knows where we're going when he/she picks us up.  But I know Uber is no longer allowed in Barcelona.  My Spanish is not good to say the least so I'm hoping I can just show the taxi driver the name of the hotel and address... will this be a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took a taxi last October from the airport to our hotel (Lleo). It was 30€ for two of us. Very easy. Our taxi driver spoke great English so communication wasn't an issue. Anytime I travel Internationally, I take an index card with all the hotel information on it just in case English is a barrier.

 

We loved Hotel Lleo. Inexpensive, centrally located including the metro which we took to La Sagrada Familia, and they had a great free breakfast buffet. 

 

It was 20€ from the hotel to the port for both of us. We had euros so I didn't pay attention to credit card capabilities in the taxis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning to stay at Hotel Arc La Ramblas. It sounds nice and relatively convenient to sites.

I booked a transfer online with Welcome something. It is 37 euros to the hotel.

(The hotel offered the same service at 3 e more...)

 

 

Edited by KCcruisin07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't book transportation to the ship yet. Does anyone have prices on that?

Also what about the price from the ship to the airport? I think they quoted 50 Euros for 2 passengers.

I gather they don't have any group transfers in Barcelona; it's all taxis. Right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KCcruisin07 said:

I didn't book transportation to the ship yet. Does anyone have prices on that?

 - WallyNDianne just posted above that they paid 20E

 

Also what about the price from the ship to the airport? I think they quoted 50 Euros for 2 passengers.

- flat rate from pier to airport is 39E.  Extra chg for over 4 suitcases.

 

I gather they don't have any group transfers in Barcelona; it's all taxis. Right?

 

 

comments in red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, KCcruisin07 said:

Planning to stay at Hotel Arc La Ramblas. It sounds nice and relatively convenient to sites.

I booked a transfer online with Welcome something. It is 37 euros to the hotel.

(The hotel offered the same service at 3 e more...)

 

 

I am staying here as well. Not sure when you are sailing but I go in August and plan to report back upon return. It'll be my first trip to Europe so I'm hoping to help answer all the questions I am currently having...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I am leaving on Friday. Someone said hotel to port should be 20 euros, and there are taxis waiting at the ship to take you to BCN for 39 euros. That's better than the 50 e I had heard before.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EUR 20 was approximately what I paid from my (fairly central) hotel to the cruise port 2 years ago. 

 

For getting from the airport to my hotel, I have considered taking the airport train to the main station and then the underground, but apparently the airport train is supposed to be one of the worst places for pickpockets, so budgeting for a taxi is well worth it. The set-up at El Prat is very good and normally I have not had to wait. I normally pay cash, but I think some (if not all) taxis take cards. If so, there would be a sticker on the window next to the price list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, KCcruisin07 said:

Thanks. I am leaving on Friday. Someone said hotel to port should be 20 euros, and there are taxis waiting at the ship to take you to BCN for 39 euros. That's better than the 50 e I had heard before.

 

Don't forget to report when you come back on the hotel and taxi experiences! Looking forward to taking some notes! Hope you had a wonderful time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, KCcruisin07 said:

Thanks. I am leaving on Friday. Someone said hotel to port should be 20 euros, and there are taxis waiting at the ship to take you to BCN for 39 euros. That's better than the 50 e I had heard before.

 

I was in Barcelona last week.  From hotel to port was around 25 euros with luggage.  This was from the

Olivia Plaza on Placa Catalunya.  From the port to the airport it was a flat 39 euros.  Plenty of taxis at

the port.  I got off the Oasis on Sunday morning around 7am.  Took maybe 20 minutes to the airport.

Easy drop off but El Prat is like controlled chaos (somewhat) if you never went through there. Which I never

have.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FRANKM said:

I was in Barcelona last week.  From hotel to port was around 25 euros with luggage.  This was from the

Olivia Plaza on Placa Catalunya.  From the port to the airport it was a flat 39 euros.  Plenty of taxis at

the port.  I got off the Oasis on Sunday morning around 7am.  Took maybe 20 minutes to the airport.

Easy drop off but El Prat is like controlled chaos (somewhat) if you never went through there. Which I never

have.

 

 

If we have a 10:15 flight to Lisbon, assuming we arrive on time, do you foresee any issues at BCN? Do you suggest we carry off our own luggage and self-disembark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, erby2283 said:

If we have a 10:15 flight to Lisbon, assuming we arrive on time, do you foresee any issues at BCN? Do you suggest we carry off our own luggage and self-disembark?

Personally, I would carry off luggage and self-disembark.  That's what we did.  It worked fine.

Our flight was with United and the check- in counter didn't open until 8am. The lines were

crazy.    Got through security maybe 15 minutes.  The passport control stop took us about 1/2 hour to get through.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be going to a hotel in Barcelona from the airport at the end of October and will probably book a hotel very near the Placa de Catalunya.  I have seen mention of an Aeorbus which leaves the airport regularly (? every 20 mins) and finishes at the Placa de Catalunya.

 

Does anyone know of this service and how good it is, I understand it leaves from very near the airport terminals.  I saw a mention earlier about a train which has a bad reputation for pickpockets, which is a bit worrying, yet the service could be great for us.

Edited by tring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tring said:

We will be going to a hotel in Barcelona from the airport at the end of October and will probably book a hotel very near the Placa de Catalunya.  I have seen mention of an Aeorbus which leaves the airport regularly (? every 20 mins) and finishes at the Placa de Catalunya.

 

 

 

we are staying nr Placa Catalunya in mid Sept and will be using the Aerobus .  

The service gets good reviews here and on tripadvisor so I have no concerns about using it.

 

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/timetable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

 

we are staying nr Placa Catalunya in mid Sept and will be using the Aerobus .  

The service gets good reviews here and on tripadvisor so I have no concerns about using it.

 

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/timetable

Thank you for that information.  I see from the home page of their website that you can buy tickets online which can be used anytime within a year.  I assume it is to make boarding the bus quicker, so may do that nearer the time.  Can you still pay for the journey as you get on the bus though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...