Cruise Critic Community
koalapanda

Unacompanied Baggage

May I ask if any Australian Cruisers have used Seabourns designated company Luggage Forward or other companies for reliable hands free travel . Home to Cruise Port and return.

Recommendations and reviews from Seaboun Cruisers from all Nations for such services would also be appreciated.

The two bears are still very mobile but a little fragile lifting weighty gum leaves or bamboo.🐨

My turn to mispell, " unaccompanied" with 2 c's  please.  Ay aahh!

We would appreciate any information or recent experience with any companies used for luggage transfer or hands free travel.  Thank you kindly. J&P

Was just looking at that myself, thank you for asking. We looked at getting one case sent to the ship with colder climate clothes while taking warm clothes with us to another location prior to boarding. 

It it would be very convenient but maybe not for $1513 USD for one case, round trip. This was using Luggage Forward (recommended by SB). 

Thank you ab21au for your response. I agree it is expensive. I am hoping there are other companies our fellow Seabournians may tell us they have had experience with.

We wish you wonder filled and happy cruising.

The handling of luggage is mostly taken care of in transferring during our travels.

However there is always that feeling you may have an instance where no one comes to your aid. You think once won't hurt, but the next thing you know is you are in pain . Visits to the Physio' are not cheap either.

Please share how you manage as I know we are not the only fit but fragile travellers?

7 hours ago, koalapanda said:

The handling of luggage is mostly taken care of in transferring during our travels.

However there is always that feeling you may have an instance where no one comes to your aid. You think once won't hurt, but the next thing you know is you are in pain . Visits to the Physio' are not cheap either.

Please share how you manage as I know we are not the only fit but fragile travellers?

Our recent trip through Shanghai airport was a great example of this. We'd been on for 18 days, had a box of stuff we'd bought and were at 65kg all in. We loaded the luggage from the shuttle onto two carts at the kerbside, only to have to unload it again 20m later for an initial baggage check at the airport entrance. One bag fell off the conveyer and had to be retrieved. Everything went back on the carts At checkin all the checked bags had to be scanned, one got stuck and had to be lifted (by us) back down and re-scanned. We thanked our stars that we're in our 50s and not our 70s and even though we're both pretty fit and relatively young we found the constant requirement to heft 25kg cases from A to B, on and off wobbly trolleys, quite taxing. 

If I could find a way to send my cases ahead and return them behind me, but for less than the cost I saw earlier in this thread, I'd definitely do it. I used to live in Japan and it was very common, if you were going away for a weekend, to tak-yu-bin your luggage to the far end mid-week and have it returned to you a few days after you got back .. and it was cheap. International is different of course but $1500 a case is .. costly.

I’ve used Luggage Forward a few times when I’ve either had to jump from a business trip straight to vacation or have had to leave directly on a business trip when disembarking.  When that is the case, I can’t be encumbered by my larger bag so it needs to travel separately.

It has always worked well for me.  The only “issue” is having to plan and pack fairly far out for use on the outbound (pickup is typically 7-10 days before embarkation) and not having my bag for a few days upon return.  But as long as you are a good planner, it works like a charm and you can track your bag’s travels along the way.

I have shipped by various shipping companies recommended by various cruise lines, and recently by Luggage Forward from the US to Cape Town. I would not recommend their service. The tracking system used by them is very difficult to follow.

In our case, they did not allow enough of a cushion of time for shipping during  the holiday period, nor were they familiar with the sometimes corrupt holding of luggage by South African customs or how to deal with it. Communicating with the young and inexperienced customer service staff which I believe is in the Boston area was a nightmare as they were not truthful in terms of status reports. Suffice it to say that our luggage sat in a customs warehouse for over a week and one half waiting for it to clear. It did not make our embarkation date and took another week for it to be shipped (once cleared) from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Luggage Forward did reimburse us ultimately for clothing and sundry items purchased. 

Luggage Concierge is another option as well.  Do a price comparison.

Thank you Rols, Jennidallas, Focused1 and MalbecWine, for your great insights, experience and recommendations. 

Rols you hit the nail on the head, your experience is our worst fear. It has not happened so far as good folk have come to our aid. But..........

Currently I am looking at "Send My Bag" the only drawback with this Company is they do not deliver to Ports. We usually plan to stay a few nights pre and post cruise in a local hotel to the Ports. It may be Home to Hotel and Hotel to Home could be the best economic solution. I have not yet researched Luggage Concierge,  thank you MalbecWine.

Further experiences from Cruisers would be appreciated  by many older folk and those wishing an easy hands free travel experience.

We used Luggage Forward to send bags from the hinterlands of Oregon (think big unkempt Sasquatch roaming about and giant banana slugs slithering up hops vines...) to Monaco, and then from Southampton back home, last fall.  Everything was as convenient as can be, bags were there on time (waiting for us in our suite), and on disembarking, a rep was right there to whisk it away.  We liked that we had to get all that stuff packed and sent away a bit early, as it enforced a more leisurely last 48 hours on us.  We could track the progress of the bag, which was in itself kind of fun, and helping to build anticipation!  (But then, I'm easily amused.)  Well worth the money, and plan to do it again this fall when we cruise again.  

On 5/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, rols said:

Our recent trip through Shanghai airport was a great example of this. We'd been on for 18 days, had a box of stuff we'd bought and were at 65kg all in. We loaded the luggage from the shuttle onto two carts at the kerbside, only to have to unload it again 20m later for an initial baggage check at the airport entrance. One bag fell off the conveyer and had to be retrieved. Everything went back on the carts At checkin all the checked bags had to be scanned, one got stuck and had to be lifted (by us) back down and re-scanned. We thanked our stars that we're in our 50s and not our 70s and even though we're both pretty fit and relatively young we found the constant requirement to heft 25kg cases from A to B, on and off wobbly trolleys, quite taxing. 

If I could find a way to send my cases ahead and return them behind me, but for less than the cost I saw earlier in this thread, I'd definitely do it. I used to live in Japan and it was very common, if you were going away for a weekend, to tak-yu-bin your luggage to the far end mid-week and have it returned to you a few days after you got back .. and it was cheap. International is different of course but $1500 a case is .. costly.

We were skeptical when told of the Japan internal luggage service but found it to be absolutely brilliant.  We went on the Kobe Seattle route in 2017 and had our big bags shipped from our Tokyo hotel to our Kobe hotel so we didn’t have to deal with them while we were on trains to Kyoto and then Kobe, just took little overhead compartment bags with us. Very inexpensive- maybe $15-20 per bag. Sent on Sunday, awaiting us Wednesday.

I love the concept of shipping luggage ahead or back to/from ship but cannot yet organize packing that far ahead. 

At topic that interests us aussies also Koalapanda. We too have checked it out previously and for $1500 US + I could pay someone to travel with us to handle the luggage.

The Japan experience is so much more sensible.we are currently in Japan pre boarding the Kobe to Vancouver next week. Sending a bag or two home prior to a US driving trip would have been preferable but too ridiculously priced.

Will continue to monitor this thread with interest. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, ab21au said:

Was just looking at that myself, thank you for asking. We looked at getting one case sent to the ship with colder climate clothes while taking warm clothes with us to another location prior to boarding. 

It it would be very convenient but maybe not for $1513 USD for one case, round trip. This was using Luggage Forward (recommended by SB). 

Just guessing about your location and destination from your history, we priced Luggage Forward from Sydney to Stockholm and back and got a quote of $574 USD, round--trip for a 50 pound bag.  We have used them multiple times with great success in delivery to and pickup from Seabourn and other lines.

8 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

for $1500 US + I could pay someone to travel with us to handle the luggage. 

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Sydney to Stockholm and back and got a quote of $574 USD, round--trip for a 50 pound bag.  

BasandSyb you are correct , maybe Manuel ?

Silver Sweethearts

Thank you for your research.

Melbourne to Athens , BasandSyb are correct for luggageforward AUD $1500

Your luggageforward quote in our money AUD $815 for under 23kg.

Out of curiosity may I ask  did your quote come from the luggageforward website ?

I have been researching assistance with luggage, fortunately there seems to be help available in most every airport. We did have a fantastic experience in Dubai whisked through and out of the Airport in 20 minutes, from an Emirates subsidury Co. We did not touch our bags and minimal cost.

In the last few years I have become bold and will ask any traveller in range would they mind helping Panda especially at the luggage carousel. It is just that feeling of "what if". The joy of hands free would be the ultimate stress free travel.

These days there are so many older fit folk travelling, generally okay but the skelton is a bit fragile.

Indeed Koalapanda, Manuel is top of mind.

Have sent our cases today - 2 Extra large about 28-30kg each + 1 x 3/4 size under 20kg (yup travelling really light this trip and worried given the heat here - nothing like the av temps quoted)

Cost from Osaka to Kobe hotel was $67AU

Really takes the thinking out of it.

1 hour ago, BasandSyb said:

Cost from Osaka to Kobe hotel was $67AU

Really takes the thinking out of it.

Indeed. Tak-Q-bin is one of those peculiarly Japanese things you never thought could exist until you discovered it. I lived there for some years and it must have taken me two before I tried it, never looked back. It makes incredible sense, weekend trips out of the city are common, if everyone dragged bags through Tokyo station and put them on a bullet train, there would be no room for the passengers and nothing would move. Instead you'll see people bring their weekend bags to the office mid week, the Tak-Q-bin rep will come and pick them all up and they are waiting for you at destination. When everyone does it, it's possible to make it efficient and pretty cheap. 

When you start noticing it, there's almost nowhere in Japan you can go you don't see the Yamato vans with the insanely cute logo of a big cat gently holding a kitten in its mouth. They really run all over Japan, mostly by road back when I was there, don't know if that's still the case, the cost makes me think it probably is. If you're in Japan, keep an eye out, you'll see the vans everywhere. 

11 hours ago, koalapanda said:

Melbourne to Athens , BasandSyb are correct for luggageforward AUD $1500

Your luggageforward quote in our money AUD $815 for under 23kg.

Out of curiosity may I ask  did your quote come from the luggageforward website ?

On the Luggage Forward website we still get a quote of $574 for a 22kg bag Melbourne to Athens and return, and believe that is in USD.

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

On the Luggage Forward website we still get a quote of $574 fo

Thank you Silver Sweetheats, surprisingly I switched to Chrome and a completely different looking Luggage forward website. As soon as I put in Pireaus Seabourn pick up and delivery appeared. The price you quoted was similar $529 for 22kg round trip.

I appreciate your postings, thank you. Koala J

rols, We are in Kyoto right now and today I saw the van with the big cat with the kitten in its mouth!  Thanks to you, I knew what it was--even though I had not seen a photo.  So cute--you are right.  They truly MUST be everywhere.