Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Reina del Mar

What should we tell them ? (Oasis Med Questions)

Recommended Posts

Have previously done four Caribbean/ Middle East RC cruises, but have sailed with other lines more recently. ( Not in Med.) Sailing with family on Oasis this summer, some who have never done RC. Please help to answer these questions. Hopefully Oasis will be 'fixed' before we sail..at least we haven't been told anything different yet.

 

Are the sockets USA or European?

 

Kettles in mini suites?

 

Booking table for  large groups on ATD?

 

Service Charge?

 

Booking climbing wall?

 

Boarding in Barcelona?

 

Flights...we booked with RC's £1 offer and find we are flying Easyjet..haven't done this before. Strange to have no control over booking..not sure we'd do this again. Travel agent says we can't book actual seats or extra leg room till 10 days before... Two very big/ tall men need extra legroom but seems we can't book till 10 days before when  seating  detail issued to  RC..is Travel agent wrong about this?

 

Travel agent says 20kg hold and 10kg hand luggage. . Easyjet's website says 23kg and hand luggage unlimited weight, determined by size..anyone know?

 

RC transfer from airport to ship in Barcelona?

 

Children's club (age 8)

 

Arcade use for 8 year old...set daily limit ?

 

How formal on Med cruises?

 

Dress shorts at Restaurant for Dinner for men? Or just in buffet?

 

Anything else we need to know about travelling with RC as a family on. Med. cruise.??

 

 

Many thanks.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Have previously done four Caribbean/ Middle East RC cruises, but have sailed with other lines more recently. ( Not in Med.) Sailing with family on Oasis this summer, some who have never done RC. Please help to answer these questions. Hopefully Oasis will be 'fixed' before we sail..at least we haven't been told anything different yet.

 

Are the sockets USA or European?

 

Kettles in mini suites?

 

Booking table for  large groups on ATD?

 

Service Charge?

 

Booking climbing wall?

 

 

Boarding in Barcelona?

 

Flights...we booked with RC's £1 offer and find we are flying Easyjet..haven't done this before. Strange to have no control over booking..not sure we'd do this again. Travel agent says we can't book actual seats or extra leg room till 10 days before... Two very big/ tall men need extra legroom but seems we can't book till 10 days before when  seating  detail issued to  RC..is Travel agent wrong about this?

 

Travel agent says 20kg hold and 10kg hand luggage. . Easyjet's website says 23kg and hand luggage unlimited weight, determined by size..anyone know?

 

RC transfer from airport to ship in Barcelona?

 

Children's club (age 😎

 

Arcade use for 8 year old...set daily limit ?

 

How formal on Med cruises?

 

Dress shorts at Restaurant for Dinner for men? Or just in buffet?

 

Anything else we need to know about travelling with RC as a family on. Med. cruise.??

 

 

Many thanks.

 

 

 

 

US sockets.

Kettles in JS but not regular balcony cabins.

Autogratuities $14.50pppd added to seapass if not pre paid.

Boarding easy in Barcelona, airport 20 minutes from port.

Rock climbing wall best to book on board where you will have to sign wavers.

Dress codes required on Formal night in restaurant but other nights rarely enforced.

Lovely ship and ports of call.

Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sockets are US but they also have a single Euro 2 round pin as well.  Normally kettles are for UK and Oz sailings only, but you can always ask.  I usually pay my tips up front but if you don't do that they will charge them automatically.  the climbing wall you can often just show up if you have signed the waver (you can do so online before you go).  Med cruises can be a bit more formal but they don't normally worry to much what you turn up in.  I would trust the airlines weights and you can add to your flight booking as soon as you have the booking codes, just go through the airline website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Have previously done four Caribbean/ Middle East RC cruises, but have sailed with other lines more recently. ( Not in Med.) Sailing with family on Oasis this summer, some who have never done RC. Please help to answer these questions. Hopefully Oasis will be 'fixed' before we sail..at least we haven't been told anything different yet.

 

Are the sockets USA or European? BOTH 2x USA AND 1x EUROPEAN PLUGS IN ALL CABINS

 

Kettles in mini suites? YES KETTLES IN JS AND ABOVE ONLY. OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE TO NIP TO PARK CAFE IN CP FOR THAT MORNING CUPPA.

 

Booking table for  large groups on ATD?  DO YOU MEAN MY TIME DINING? HOW LARGE? BIGGEST TABLE SIZE IS 12. YOU CAN PREBOOK DINNER TIMES VIA YOUR CRUISE PLANNER BUT THAT TAKES AWAY FROM THE FLEXIBILITY OF MTD.  

 

Service Charge? $14.50PPPD OR IF YOU ARE IN A GS OR ABOVE $17.50PPPD.   A JS ONLY PAYS THE LOWER RATE

 

Booking climbing wall? CAN BE DONE ON BOARD.

 

Boarding in Barcelona?  VERY EASY AND QUICK. 

 

Flights...we booked with RC's £1 offer and find we are flying Easyjet..haven't done this before. Strange to have no control over booking..not sure we'd do this again. Travel agent says we can't book actual seats or extra leg room till 10 days before... Two very big/ tall men need extra legroom but seems we can't book till 10 days before when  seating  detail issued to  RC..is Travel agent wrong about this?

ALSO BOOKED £1 FLIGHTS.  I HAVE FLIGHT TIMES ONLY. USUALLY WITH EASYJET YOU CAN CHECK IN ONE MONTH BEFOREHAND AND PICK SEATS. 

 

Travel agent says 20kg hold and 10kg hand luggage. . Easyjet's website says 23kg and hand luggage unlimited weight, determined by size..anyone know?  

I BOOKED WITH RCI DIRECT AND HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT IT IS 23KG ALLOWANCE.

 

RC transfer from airport to ship in Barcelona? IF YOU WANT THIS THEN YOU HAVE TO BOOK IT AS A SEPARATE ITEM NOW.  MILLIONS OF CABS AT BARCELONA AIRPORT. €39FLAT FARE

 

Children's club 

 

Arcade use for 8 year old...set daily limit ?  YES YOU SHOULD GO TO GUEST RELATIONS AND THEY CAN SET A DAILY SPENDING LIMIT ON THE CHILDREN'S CARDS

 

How formal on Med cruises?  2 NIGHTS WAS USUAL.  NOT MANY DJS. 

 

Dress shorts at Restaurant for Dinner for men? Or just in buffet?  SHORT AT DINNER...SURELY NOT...

 

Anything else we need to know about travelling with RC as a family on. Med. cruise.??

PLAN AND BOOK THE ENTERTAINMENT FIRST THEN PLAN EVERYTHING ROUND THIS. THERE ARE ONLY 3 PERFORMANCES OF MOST SHOWS.  

VERY PORT INTENSIVE.  ONLY ONE SEA DAY. I’D PLAN ON SKIPPING OUT ON ONE OF THE PORTS TO UTILISE AND SIMPLY JUST ENJOY THE SHIP.

 

JOIN YOUR ROLL CALL.

 

Answers in CAPS above....

Edited by little britain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.

Confirms what we thought.

 

Any / all other suggestions gratefully received.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continental breakfast from room service is free... another way to get your morning cuppa.

No bathrobes in regular cabins 

Yes, the ship is fixed and ready for her 5/5 sailing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, little britain said:

Continental breakfast from room service is free... another way to get your morning cuppa.

No bathrobes in regular cabins 

Yes, the ship is fixed and ready for her 5/5 sailing.

 

Thanks for that. . Great to know the ship is sorted.

 

We usually have room service breakfast on port days to avoid crowds. Just back from Australia/Asia cruise on Princess where we notice a large amount of passengers filling flasks of coffee to take back to cabins for mornings.

 

Seem to remember shorts were allowed for Dinner in Caribbean but not Down under! It's years since we've done a Med cruise..hence the questions.

 

Men are taking DJs so we can get a formal family photo but will probably only do one formal night..can't manage two suits on that weight. 

 

Jackets aren't needed for the smart casual ( or whatever RC call it) evenings, are they ?

 

Thanks again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks for that. . Great to know the ship is sorted.

 

We usually have room service breakfast on port days to avoid crowds. Just back from Australia/Asia cruise on Princess where we notice a large amount of passengers filling flasks of coffee to take back to cabins for mornings.

 

Seem to remember shorts were allowed for Dinner in Caribbean but not Down under! It's years since we've done a Med cruise..hence the questions.

 

Men are taking DJs so we can get a formal family photo but will probably only do one formal night..can't manage two suits on that weight. 

 

Jackets aren't needed for the smart casual ( or whatever RC call it) evenings, are they ?

 

Thanks again.

 

We get hot room service breakfast every morning which costs $7.95 per cabin with no limit on what you want.

Continental breakfast is free.

Park cafe on Central Park is handy for breakfast or to get cups of coffee to take back to your cabin if you want.

Most people are very casual at night time and even on formal nights a lot of people do not dress up but for formal photos a long sleeve shirt,tie and dress trousers are sufficient and DJ or tuxedo if you wish.

Usually you can hire tuxedos on board to keep your case weight down.

Lots of people wear shorts in the restaurants but final word is with the maitreD but usually if it is not formal night nothing is said.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

 

Lots of people wear shorts in the restaurants but final word is with the maitreD but usually if it is not formal night nothing is said.

 

Thanks, Grapau..S and SIL will be delighted to hear that...could have been the buffet for us. Hope Maitre d' is gentle on them. They will of course shower and change from daywear...but golf shorts  and polo shirts could be their choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks, Grapau..S and SIL will be delighted to hear that...could have been the buffet for us. Hope Maitre d' is gentle on them. They will of course shower and change from daywear...but golf shorts  and polo shirts could be their choice.

Your welcome.

That will be no problem for ladies to wear shorts and polo shirts anywhere on the ship.

Lots of the men dress like this on a night time even in the restaurant except formal night and very rarely is any man asked to change.

I asked the maitreD on Harmony about this and he said if it is not formal night it is okay for men to wear shorts even though there are signs saying otherwise for men.

Graham

 

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news. D and DIL unlikely to wear shorts to dinner but D has idea to wear a tux!!!!! Not happy with that and hoping to change her mind!!!! So much for having formal photo. GD will wear formal dress but D thinks funny to match her husband and brother...do they ever grow up ?

 

Am going into travel agents' next week and will not move till I get answers on EAsyjet luggage allowance, extra leg room and what is happening with transfers...first we were told coach, then we could have minibus to ourselves, now it's back to coach...girl I booked with has transferred and no one really wants to help now commission has gone!

 

Thanks again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As I said, if you do a booking on RCI website you now elect to choose whether you want to pay extra for their transfers or not. Perhaps you have booked via a consolidator who has put together the whole package which includes everything.. but I would have thought your paperwork would show this.

 

We didn’t go with their transfer as cannot be bothered waiting for 40 other people to fill up a coach, when we could be out straight into a cab and on our way.

 

Regarding the flights: it depends on how RCI have booked them. It can either be via the web or via group allocation. 

 

If it’s via the web you will need to call and get your flight locater then you can check in, pick seats and do APIS etc on the web. 

 

if it’s allocation 10 days before departure you will be emailed with your individual locators to allow you to check in and pick seats and do APIS etc.

 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by little britain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Reina del Mar I just checked with my agent.  The £1 flights are booked via an easyJet group allocation.
10 days before departure we are sent an email with individual locators for outbound and inbound flight to allow check in and pre book seats etc.  Thinks the luggage is 20kg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not going to let the 8yo have free rein on the ship with their card in hand (and I really hope you wouldn't), there's no need to put a spending limit on the card (reports vary whether that can even be done).  Keep the child's card with the parent and there is no need to worry about spending.

The rock wall isn't actually booked at all -- you just show up during the times it's listed as being open.  

If you want to reserve a table for everyone together for dinner at My Time Dining (MTD), you will need to have all the reservations linked together.  Your travel agent can do this -- just need every room's reservation number.  Also, everyone will need to be assigned to MTD on their reservation.

 

On the transfers, I'd cancel and just get taxis.  I'm not a fan of cruise ship transfers... too much waiting around for the bus to get filled up, etc.  Much easier to throw your bags in a taxi and be on your way immediately. 


Only other advice is to not try to do it all.  Oasis class ships are HUGE and there are a LOT of shows and activities.  You simply can't do it all in one cruise, so don't wear yourselves out trying.  Do what you can do, and then make plans to take another cruise to do the things you didn't get around to the first time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Only other advice is to not try to do it all.  Oasis class ships are HUGE and there are a LOT of shows and activities.  You simply can't do it all in one cruise, so don't wear yourselves out trying.  Do what you can do, and then make plans to take another cruise to do the things you didn't get around to the first time!

Thanks for the advice. GD is even saying she's not going to Children's club let alone running the ship...she's 8 today and a little bit cautious. She quite enjoyed the club on Liberty but was two years younger then.

 

We are not huge 'show' fans..maybe the others will want to go. Our bookings are already linked but we will do Any Time Dining (or whatever RC call it) so I suppose we should try to call the Dine line but we try to leave it open in case of Siestas ! There's always the buffet.

 

Am going into agent tomorrow and will not leave till I have proper answers and words on paper. There could well be some foot stamping.

 

Thanks again for your support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off Oasis on Sunday and everything is working onboard. Aqua Theater show was a go for our sea day. We were able to prepurchase Arcade credits through the cruise planner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

We just got off Oasis on Sunday and everything is working onboard. Aqua Theater show was a go for our sea day. We were able to prepurchase Arcade credits through the cruise planner. 

 

Thanks for that.

How were the transfers? ports? dress ?

Starting to think of packing and knocking head against wall. 

Did you do all the ports of miss out a few ?

 

Any top tips ?

 

Thanks so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reina del Mar said:

 

Thanks for that.

How were the transfers? ports? dress ?

Starting to think of packing and knocking head against wall. 

Did you do all the ports of miss out a few ?

 

Any top tips ?

 

Thanks so much.

We stayed one day in Barcelona and used a cab from the airport to the hotel just off Las Ramblas. 39 Euro. Cab to port on sail day was only 15 Euros

 

They use 2 embark terminals so recheck you sail pass a day or 2 before so you don't go to the wrong one.

 

Ports are great. Palma was nice to walk around in but I would have preferred 2 days in Rome instead. We had friends who went to the caves and said they were nice. 

Rome - Long drive - Soooo much to see and I really recommend a tour (We did private, Italy Tour Sharing) Unless you've been and know what your doing with the trains. 

Naples - Amafli Coast and Pompeii were amazing. Again private tour the Italy tour Sharing) The RCCL buses couldn't get into the little villages so I think they missed out on many things. We loved the coast. 

La Spezia - We did Cinque Terre - Again just amazing, the villages are so unique. We took the train as our tour company said they would take us but they can't drive in as there are no cars allowed so we would end up on the train or a boat anyway. 

 

Formal nights were Tues/Friday. Everything from Tux to Jeans. In the dining room most were in Dress Pants/Shirt/some with Tie. Women mostly in cocktail dresses some long formal ones. Regular nights Jeans and nice shirt. Saw very few shorts in the Dining room. 

 

Booked a private transfer (Sun Transfers)  to the airport. 53.00 for 3 of us. The RCCL transfer was 30.00 Euros per person.

 

Miss her already!! Enjoy your trip. Any more questions let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

 

 

Miss her already!! Enjoy your trip. Any more questions let me know

Thanks so much.

 

Not sure we'll even get off in all ports. ....sounds like we need to get planning for those we will visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We are not huge 'show' fans..maybe the others will want to go.


Keep in mind that Oasis has shows that are different.  The Aqua Theater shows aren't anything like going to see the musical shows in the main theater.  Same for the ice show.  And the aerial show in the main theater.  

So if it's the "singing and dancing" thing that doesn't interest you, maybe look into some of the other options that Oasis has to offer!

 

 

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Our bookings are already linked but we will do Any Time Dining (or whatever RC call it) so I suppose we should try to call the Dine line but we try to leave it open in case of Siestas ! There's always the buffet.


You don't always have to have reservations before you board, either.  Not sure how big your total party is, but you could always send one person down to stand in line and get the table organized, then others could join after.  Just make sure that person has the room numbers for everyone when they go get in line.

And there's always the option of doing two smaller tables instead of one huge table (since you can't really have a conversation with someone at the other end of a 12-top table anyway).  Two tables of 5/6/8 people (or however many it takes for your group) will work well and are much easier to squeeze in without planning ahead, compared to one huge table. 

I'm assuming you've already filled everyone in about how they won't have their luggage right away the first day (maybe pack swimsuits in carry-on), put their phones in Airplane Mode to avoid unexpected charges, luggage is picked up the last night, so leave a change of clothes/shoes and pajamas out when packing, etc.?  Sounds like you're already a seasoned cruiser... Royal's pretty much like the other mainstream lines in the way things are done.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We r doing our first family med next summer.... more  please!  Lol

 

Excursion  advice was excellent!  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brillohead said:

 Sounds like you're already a seasoned cruiser... Royal's pretty much like the other mainstream lines in the way things are done.

 

Thanks for that.

Have been cruising since 1969! Mainly P&O in the past but Princess in recent years. Will be our fifth Royal Caribbean (Serenade, Navigator and 2 on Liberty)but haven't done the Med for many a year and was always out of Southampton, so no fly / cruise . Oasis will be the largest for us.

 

Have given them all the info about phones, packing for first day, last evening etc will repeat when they are packing. Luggage labels after flight. Dropping off hand luggage etc.

 

Will see what they want to do regarding shows.. When we go just the two of us, we tend to be pretty anti social but maybe we should make more effort in company. It's easier sorting two out and getting a table when you need it. 

 

Thanks again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks for that.

Have been cruising since 1969!

 

 

Oh my word...just realised my first cruise was 50 yeas ago in July! !

 

  I was only 13 !

 

It was on Union Castle's TSS Reina del Mar .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks for that.

Have been cruising since 1969! Mainly P&O in the past but Princess in recent years. Will be our fifth Royal Caribbean (Serenade, Navigator and 2 on Liberty)but haven't done the Med for many a year and was always out of Southampton, so no fly / cruise . Oasis will be the largest for us.

 

Have given them all the info about phones, packing for first day, last evening etc will repeat when they are packing. Luggage labels after flight. Dropping off hand luggage etc.

 

Will see what they want to do regarding shows.. When we go just the two of us, we tend to be pretty anti social but maybe we should make more effort in company. It's easier sorting two out and getting a table when you need it. 

 

Thanks again. 

 

 

The shows on Oasis are incredible.  I’d recommend getting them booked, especially as they are only on a few times. Do not miss the Aqua shows or Come Fly with Me!  And the ice show is good for the kids. 

I book the shows and then work dining around it. I’ve been on all Oasis class ships.  I usually have a spreadsheet planner to calculate how we can try and fit in all bars, restaurants and shows. Sad but true! 

 

Plug adaptors. 

Swimmies in hand luggage 

 

 

It’s a very port intensive cruise. Personally I would use one of the ports as a “sea day” to try and experience what the ship has to offer. You cannot do justice to Rome in a day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DH didn’t want to pack a coat for our Med trip, and did not feel out of place without a sports coat or tux.  He just had a nice shirt, tie, and dress pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...