Airport Transfer Cancelled?

fireval911

I have pre- and post- extensions with included transfers for my upcoming cruise.  According to the cruise documents, all of the transfers are scheduled ( from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, etc).  With two weeks to go, I contacted my TA to find out how do I let Viking know what time my flight is arriving.  The TA then responded that since I did not let Viking know of my air schedule prior to 30-days out I have lost these transfers.  I've poured over all of my documentation and Viking's site and can't find anything that states when I needed to provide this information.   Is this the normal policy?  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm a little upset.  I try talking to Viking directly, but I'm told I have to go through my TA.

Thanks for any help.  ~Val

No, I did not use Viking air except for the included air travel from Bergen to Reykjavik (post-extension).  You do not have to for pre and post extensions, BUT airport transfers are included in the extensions (per the website).

If you use a TA you are normally unable to discuss issues directly with Viking, as the TA is your agent and makes the booking. Your TA should have advised you of any time restraints (milestones) in providing information to Viking - that's what they get paid for.

This is most unfortunately and hope you get it resolved, but I believe the root cause of your issue is with your TA, who has not provided you with the required levels of service that I expect from a TA. In my experience, your TA should have been aware of any, or all time restraints and provided said information to Viking in a timely manner. If you booked the flights directly, then your TA should have requested the flight details from you, so they could be forwarded to Viking.

For our cruise next year, our TA has every milestone bookmarked in her calendar and we receive an email from her in advance. We have met with her and reviewed each of the milestones and determined she thoroughly researched the requirements. That's the level of service I expect from a TA.

Suggest your TA caused the problem, so should fix it.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 2

I suggest that you contact Viking directly to straighten this out.  Yes, I know you have a TA.  I also use a TA (after first booking directly with Viking).  One time, I had a problem and I called Viking directly.  Insisted that my calling was better that a three way with my TA.  (My days of three ways are sadly over.)  They took the call and resolved my issue.  

Your TA might not have been involved with getting you air.  Therefore, it's not necessarily their problem.

Since transfers are included with your extensions, perhaps Viking should have notified the TA that this info was needed.  And, when there is some critical change in the itinerary, I have found that Viking contacts both the TA and passenger.  That should have been done here.

Dear @fireval911,

Though we regret to learn of the inconvenience you’ve described regarding your pre- and post-extension transfers, we are grateful that you brought this to our attention. To take a closer look at your individual booking and offer assistance where possible, please send us your reservation information to TellUs@vikingcruises.com where we would be happy to better address your concerns.

We look forward to hearing from you, and thank you for detailing your experience here.

Warm regards,
Viking Cruises

4 hours ago, fireval911 said:

I have pre- and post- extensions with included transfers for my upcoming cruise.  According to the cruise documents, all of the transfers are scheduled ( from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, etc).  With two weeks to go, I contacted my TA to find out how do I let Viking know what time my flight is arriving.  The TA then responded that since I did not let Viking know of my air schedule prior to 30-days out I have lost these transfers.  I've poured over all of my documentation and Viking's site and can't find anything that states when I needed to provide this information.   Is this the normal policy?  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm a little upset.  I try talking to Viking directly, but I'm told I have to go through my TA.

Thanks for any help.  ~Val

43 minutes ago, Viking Cruises said:

Dear @fireval911,

Though we regret to learn of the inconvenience you’ve described regarding your pre- and post-extension transfers, we are grateful that you brought this to our attention. To take a closer look at your individual booking and offer assistance where possible, please send us your reservation information to TellUs@vikingcruises.com where we would be happy to better address your concerns.

We look forward to hearing from you, and thank you for detailing your experience here.

Warm regards,
Viking Cruises

Thank you so much for your response!  My TA has now corrected this issue and all of my transfers are in place.  Wonderful customer service from Viking!

~Val

• Like 5