Cruise Critic Community
Diane Rose

Hoping for Help on a River Cruise tour in Vienna

We have to choose a tour in Vienna on Scenic early October.  Choices are Schonbrunn Palace, Bratislava or Morning Exercise at the Spanish Riding School.  I would have loved to see the morning exercise, but no photos are allowed and I am an avid scrapbooker.  We are on the Jewels of Europe, so I know we will be seeing a lot of castles and quaint towns.  Any comments or recommendations on Bratislava vs. Schonbrunn Palace.  Thank you for any help.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Diane Rose said:

We have to choose a tour in Vienna on Scenic early October.  Choices are Schonbrunn Palace, Bratislava or Morning Exercise at the Spanish Riding School.  I would have loved to see the morning exercise, but no photos are allowed and I am an avid scrapbooker.  We are on the Jewels of Europe, so I know we will be seeing a lot of castles and quaint towns.  Any comments or recommendations on Bratislava vs. Schonbrunn Palace.  Thank you for any help.

You may find more answers to your query if you post on the river cruise forum here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/340-river-cruise-ports/

FWIW - I would choose Vienna (Austria) over Bratislava (Slovakia). Been to both and although Bratislava is nice, I  much prefer Vienna. Schonbrunn Palace is magnificent!

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

You may find more answers to your query if you post on the river cruise forum here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/340-river-cruise-ports/

FWIW - I would choose Vienna (Austria) over Bratislava (Slovakia). Been to both and although Bratislava is nice, I  much prefer Vienna. Schonbrunn Palace is magnificent!

Will do, thank you!

Posted (edited)

My husband and I once spent 3 days in Vienna on our own.  I too, wanted to visit that Spanish Riding School (Lipizzaner horses) so we went but left a half hour later  because, frankly in our opinion, it got boring. The venue was lovely  but their exercises consisted of dressage (sp?) maneuvers and although I know that technically these are very difficult, there is truly not much action to see. Go to the palace...it was great.  Vienna is a very walkable city and there is so much to see and do. 

Edited by lynncarol

Posted (edited)

We took an Emerald river cruise a few years ago (a related company to Scenic) and did both Braslava & Schoenbrun castle. I would recommend the latter as it is like a miniature fountainblu but with furniture. The grounds also are beautiful. At the end of the tour there is a coffee ship that had some of the best apple strudel we ever had. Bratslava was ok , but there was not a lot to do (we may have been there on a weekend but don't recall.

Edited by dabear

Just an aside...I used to drive my truck to Austria. If you can find an 'Imbiss' (sort of road side cafe...quite often in a shipping container!) ask for Faschierte Laibchen . They are spicy meatballs and are to die for! You can have them with 'pommes' (chips [thats fries to you!]) or 'kartofflen' (mashed potato). Oh, thats got me thinking...try 'bratkartoffeln' too as a side order to a meat dish. Its saute potatoes and onion all fried together. Not super healthy, but delicious!!

Simon

If you do go to Schoenbrunn it is right near the Vienna Technical Museum  -- Technisches Museum Wien

They have some interesting exhibits.  Motorcars from the very dawn of automobiles, toys, Empress Elisabeth's private rail car with her sewing machine, and some other things (boring for me about minerals or mining or something).  Its a great museum and it is across the road from a metro stop.  ALSO the zoo at the palace is nice, its small but lovely and if the day is nice it is a nice thing to so in the sunshine.

The palace has a lot to see.  Brush up on information on the Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) as there are some things of hers there.  If you go into the city of Vienna, there is the other palace that has much more of her stuff, its right near the Spanish Riding School.  I did do that tour and we went into the stables but we weren't allowed to pet the horses.  It was still pretty neat  and if you have a chance to walk by the stable yard when they are walking the horses from the riding school building you can take pictures then. 

schoenbrunn map.JPG