Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Going on the South America cruise February 2020, Buenos Aires to Santiago. How many days should we plan on spending in Buenos Aires before the cruise? Is there much to do there? What do you recommend for us to visit? Thanks for your suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did 2 days in Feb. before our Eclipse cruise and I felt it was enough. There's lots of history in the city. We also did a Tigre Delta cruise/coach trip which took up most of 1 day.  In the city there is the whole Peon history and sights. We did a walking food and culture tour that was about 3 hours on the other day. Then just went shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without knowing anything about the OP's interests I find this question almost impossible to answer.  But in 2015 we spent five full days in Buenos Aires and thoroughly enjoyed our time there.  This last spring we returned prior to a cruise, and, because of time commitments at home, could only spend two full days in BA prior to boarding.  None of our activities this past spring were repeats of what we did or saw in 2015, and we easily could have spent more time in the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Without knowing anything about the OP's interests I find this question almost impossible to answer.  But in 2015 we spent five full days in Buenos Aires and thoroughly enjoyed our time there.  This last spring we returned prior to a cruise, and, because of time commitments at home, could only spend two full days in BA prior to boarding.  None of our activities this past spring were repeats of what we did or saw in 2015, and we easily could have spent more time in the city.

What activities did you do in those two visits?  Please comment on how you like each?  I shall have a day in Buenos Aires before cruise.  Wonder what I can do that day and later when I revisit the place in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We spent 4 nights in BA but one full day we flew to/from Igusau falls. Great site and well worth seeing either in one long day or overnight.

Edited by dabear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BA is considered "Paris of South America."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as dirty and run down as Paris.  Did not see all the beggars on the street the last time there like we did in Paris.   To me, likening Buenos Aires to Paris is an insult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lunenburg said:

Not as dirty and run down as Paris.  Did not see all the beggars on the street the last time there like we did in Paris.   To me, likening Buenos Aires to Paris is an insult.

🙂 I didn't make this up 🙂

https://frenchly.us/buenos-aires-paris-south-america/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes,  I know, I  have heard it before.  It was not intended personally.

 

They also call Uruguay the Switzerland of S. America making some believe it has mountains. It only has a few small hills, most of it is completely flat.( It was a reference to the banking laws which don't apply anymore.)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lunenburg said:

Yes,  I know, I  have heard it before.  It was not intended personally.

 

They also call Uruguay the Switzerland of S. America making some believe it has mountains. It only has a few small hills, most of it is completely flat.( It was a reference to the banking laws which don't apply anymore.)  

And I didn't take it personally 🙂

 

Thought you might enjoy seeing this little collage (is that what it's called?) that we got in La Boca.

 

20190709_152958 - Edited.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone have recommendations for a tour operator?  I'll be traveling by myself (January 2020) and don't want to do hop/on off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent six days in Uruguay and five nights in BA.  Enjoyed everything.  We took local transport to Tigre and did arranged our own tour to Igouazu.

 

Prior to starting our cruise we spent time in Santiago, then  flew to Montevideo, Uruguay.     Flights to Montevideo were much less expensive than flights to BA even though the cities are very close-separated by water.  We ferried to BA from Colonia, Uruguay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoyed 4 days prior to our cruise this past Dec./ Jan, just one simple rule NO Jewelry NO expensive watches.

We did a lot of walking with one day of a tour guide.

The opera house is amazing to tour see.

The Boca neighbourhood, the famous cafe Tetroni, some amazing meat restaurants (and I don’t like meat) the metal flower that opens with sunlight.

The Presidential Palace and of course the  Recollata cemetery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Lunenburg said:

We used https://www.bsas4u.com/en/  for a tango show when we were there overnight. They picked us up and returned us to the cruise port. They have quite a few options  to consider.

We also used bsas4u for 3 tours-package deal. City tour, estancia, & tango show. Good tours and responsive service. PU & return to hotel if in city center as ours was.

Loved BA. There for 3 days and didn't see everything on our list. Taxis cheap, meat good.

Edited by DanL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 5:39 AM, Trend said:

just one simple rule NO Jewelry NO expensive watches.

Curious why you mention this for BA.  I'm under the impression that it's a pretty safe city. No?  'The only place in the world where we had a problem was in Barcelona during the day on a quiet residential street.  We got simultaneously pickpocketed and didn't even know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the cab driver we used once turned to my husband who was wearing a gold med alert bracelet and told him take it off and hide it.

We had fun but we’re smart about what we wore and were we walked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Trend said:

We had fun but we’re smart about what we wore and were we walked.

But more so than other parts of the world?  I just don't get it.  From what I've read BA is pretty darn safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I am sure there are other parts in the world with warnings but the fact is this is one.

Be smart we enjoyed our time but heeded warnings, yes we walked by ourselves but in main areas of shopping and historic sites as well as main streets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trend said:

No I am sure there are other parts in the world with warnings but the fact is this is one.

Be smart we enjoyed our time but heeded warnings, yes we walked by ourselves but in main areas of shopping and historic sites as well as main streets.

No, it was a single taxi driver who perhaps thought you were too blingy.  I've been to BA and Rio and Bangkok etc.  As I said we got pickpocketed in Barcelona and no problem anywhere else.  I wish people wouldn't try to warn people of things that are unlikely to happen.  I'm guessing there are a lot of Mexican and Caribbean ports that are FAR more dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bling means other that med alert bracelet more would have bean on display and we were dressed down with nothing other than that in view.

It was the only taxi we took.

People should be told as we did see an elderly lady accosted at a busy corner.

It is a big city with big city problems. Not to be forewarned is negligent as we saw people wearing Rolex watches ( that by the way the hotel concierge stopped and suggested the put in hotel safe before they step out) and jewels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trend said:

Bling means other that med alert bracelet more would have bean on display and we were dressed down with nothing other than that in view.

It was the only taxi we took.

People should be told as we did see an elderly lady accosted at a busy corner.

It is a big city with big city problems. Not to be forewarned is negligent as we saw people wearing Rolex watches ( that by the way the hotel concierge stopped and suggested the put in hotel safe before they step out) and jewels.

Then I'd like to suggest that you warn people over any big city that you've visited.  Okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some cities need the warning more than other 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Trend said:

Some cities need the warning more than other 

And some less.  Like Buenos Aires.  I'd be interested in knowing what other major cities where you've walked the streets for any period of time?  What about Chicago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...