Cruise Critic Community

Your attitude does not require a response anymore

40 cruises to major cities around the world and we never got a letter like this 

DSC05782_zpsqphf39lt.jpg

Our guide ( A mature native of BA ) told us do not walk anywhere at night . We went across the street from our hotel to take photos of our hotel and the English Tower when a young man told us not good with camera , not safe . We heeded his advice .

You reminded me that we had a similar letter upon boarding Aramara as it was returning to BA for two days at the end of the cruise.

In Rio our guide thanked us for not having a big showy camera as his last clients did and he has some scary situations.

3 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Thanks for the info (letter) and advice, scubacruiserx2.

You're welcome , forewarned is forearmed . I guess we didn't answer your question . We spend the night in BA usually  to connect flights to Santiago or Miami . On our cruise in January we had 2 days and overnight on the ship . We spent the day with a guide and driver and saw most of what we wanted to see in a day . The ship gave us 2 nights in a hotel and we wished that we would have stayed 1 night before our morning flight to Miami instead of the 2 . In our review we show where and what we did and we hope that it helps others .

1 hour ago, Trend said:

You reminded me that we had a similar letter upon boarding Aramara as it was returning to BA for two days at the end of the cruise.

In Rio our guide thanked us for not having a big showy camera as his last clients did and he has some scary situations.

We haven't been to Rio so thank you for the info if we do go . I do use a nice camera that I keep concealed until I need it . It will be on a strong wrist strap on my wrist before it leaves the case . I always check with the guide before using it . I also use a nice pocket camera which is what I had when I was warned by the young man across from our hotel . 

8 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

40 cruises to major cities around the world and we never got a letter like this 

DSC05782_zpsqphf39lt.jpg

Our guide ( A mature native of BA ) told us do not walk anywhere at night . We went across the street from our hotel to take photos of our hotel and the English Tower when a young man told us not good with camera , not safe . We heeded his advice .

I loved the comment about bird droppings.  That's how we got pickpocketed...in BARCELONA.  I guess Buenos Aires is learning from Europe.  Everything they warn about in that letter are things we don't do anywhere.  And we've spent months at a time in Rio - in less than resort-type neighborhoods - without a moment of concern.  I'm beginning to think that there are destinations that a lot of cruisers shouldn't go.  

We certainly enjoyed our time in BA and would go again. We were there at Christmas and went to the opera house to see the Nutcracker Ballet.

Yes we had a guide for one day and saw all the great neighbourhoods but the two other days we went to a leather store the hotel recommended and they made me a jacket and the first day we relaxed by the pool after a long flight.

Economies can rapidly change.  What was in one year may not apply for current.  I watched a short video on the econony of Argentina and it said that inflation in 2018 was 47%.  Can you imagine that in the US?

Yes there economy has suffered we got some excellent meals at great prices and made sure to tip generously.

our cruise finished in Jan not so many months ago.

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 3:06 PM, clo said:

No, it was a single taxi driver who perhaps thought you were too blingy. 

I've been to BA and Rio and Bangkok etc. 

As I said we got pickpocketed in Barcelona and no problem anywhere else.  I wish people wouldn't try to warn people of things that are unlikely to happen. 

I'm guessing there are a lot of Mexican and Caribbean ports that are FAR more dangerous.

Nice post ! 

And years ago , I was robbed by a one-arm bandit in Reno. LOL

Yes, Barcelona was just your bad luck.

All over the world, people think WE have deep pockets.😎

BTW, I 😍 Mexico...just be careful.

Edited by $hip$hape

On 8/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Economies can rapidly change.  What was in one year may not apply for current.  I watched a short video on the econony of Argentina and it said that inflation in 2018 was 47%.  Can you imagine that in the US?

Truly respectfully, not sure how this applies to visiting for a short time.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, top of the world said:

Going on the South America cruise February 2020, Buenos Aires to Santiago. How many days should we plan on spending in Buenos Aires before the cruise? Is there much to do there? What do you recommend for us to visit? Thanks for your suggestions!

Recoleta cemetery. The area where they tango in the streets. Just be very careful.  Our pre cruise included a half day city bus tour. While at the square by the pink house we were given time to wander around and a lady in our group got mugged.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, clo said:

I loved the comment about bird droppings.  That's how we got pickpocketed...in BARCELONA.  I guess Buenos Aires is learning from Europe.  Everything they warn about in that letter are things we don't do anywhere.  And we've spent months at a time in Rio - in less than resort-type neighborhoods - without a moment of concern.  I'm beginning to think that there are destinations that a lot of cruisers shouldn't go.  

Restaurants will call a taxi for you.  Also some stores.  We bought a case of wines for our cruise at Ligier liquor store in BA and they called a cab for us to take us to hotel. Fyi...cabs must be called.

clo,

Lets be serious. US cities rarely have the skilled pickpockets that work in Berlin, Barcelona, Paris, St. Petersburg, Buenos Aires, Rio etc. We haven't been targeted in any of them (haven't been to Rio yet), but we avoid bling in any city where extremely rich and poor clash. Traveling with obvious 'riches' is never a good idea anyway. There are pickpocket and safety warnings for certain areas of Buenos Aires. On the other hand, we found very helpful bank employees when the ATM swallowed our credit card.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

clo,

Lets be serious.

US cities rarely have the skilled pickpockets that work in Berlin, Barcelona, Paris, St. Petersburg, Buenos Aires, Rio etc.

We haven't been targeted in any of them (haven't been to Rio yet), but we avoid bling in any city

where extremely rich and poor clash. Traveling with obvious 'riches' is never a good idea anyway.

There are pickpocket and safety warnings for certain areas of Buenos Aires.

On the other hand, we found very helpful bank employees when the ATM swallowed our credit card.

About "swallowing' credit cards.,,, I've seen this happen to fellow pax.

Banks do this for your own (and their) protection. 

Take a second card.

As far as scams... (memories)

One time in Rio, I gave a vendor a 50 reals note for a t-shirt and asked for change.

He first tried to tell me I only  gave him a 5, the cost of the shirt.

When I told him I was going to punch him in the mouth, he said,

he was only kidding, and gave me my change.🤣

Edited by $hip$hape

On 7/30/2019 at 7:05 PM, clo said:

Curious why you mention this for BA.  I'm under the impression that it's a pretty safe city. No?  'The only place in the world where we had a problem was in Barcelona during the day on a quiet residential street.  We got simultaneously pickpocketed and didn't even know it.

Not safe at all.  Even our Argentinean  friends say so. They used to send their daught back during the summer to visit family but now are afraid to.

11 minutes ago, Lunenburg said:

Major uncertainty in Argentina today following the election yesterday. The BBC have a good account.  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49323553

If you are visiting in the near future, you may want to follow this. 

Thanks for sharing that.  I always keep an eye on such things prior to traveling.

3 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Not safe at all.  Even our Argentinean  friends say so. They used to send their daught back during the summer to visit family but now are afraid to.

That is not so.  Do your research.  Your friends give anecdotal experience only.

5 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

Take a second card.

As far as scams... (memories)

One time in Rio, I gave a vendor a 50 reals note for a t-shirt and asked for change.

He first tried to tell me I only  gave him a 5, the cost of the shirt.

When I told him I was going to punch him in the mouth, he said,

he was only kidding, and gave me my change.🤣

'Course nowadays R$50 is worth about US$12.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, $hip$hape said:

Take a second card.

We got it back from the bank. They went out of their way for us.

The mistake we made: We looked at the money too long and did not realize that the ATM pulled the card back inside. Next time, we'll take the card and then look at the money. The bank explained that they collect the cards in the evening, but they got the person responsible for it right away. The whole transaction was in English with a bank employee who spoke it fluently.

17 hours ago, Floridiana said:

The mistake we made: We looked at the money too long and did not realize that the ATM pulled the card back inside. Next time, we'll take the card and then look at the money. The bank explained that they collect the cards in the evening, but they got the person responsible for it right away. The whole transaction was in English with a bank employee who spoke it fluently.

We've found that MANY younger Brazilians learn English in school.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:45 AM, Trend said:

Your attitude does not require a response anymore

Were you replying to me? (We've been traveling and not keeping up.)  If you were replying to me I'm curious what authority gives you this reply?  Thanks in advance.

Do you realize that saying a particular place is unsafe, when the statistics declare that not to be true, can cause some people to not visit a place? I can understand someone saying something like "hey, maybe I'm not very adventuresome so I wasn't comfortable there."  And then allow someone like me to reply...with facts.  Not just an opinion.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, clo said:

We've found that MANY younger Brazilians learn English in school.

Exactly !

Our Brazilian friends in Rio were the ones who told us,

English was the international language of business.

They asked us, to speak to their kids in English.

Edited by $hip$hape