Cruise Critic Community
michelle224

What's the best daypack for an Excursion?

After using a canvas zippered totebag for excursions on my prior cruises, I have decided it's time to invest in a good medium sized daypack.   Any recommendations?  I would bring my Samsung galaxy 7x5 tablet, cell phone, a lens to swap out for my DSLR camera plus extra camera batteries and memory cards, a small zippered meds bag, sunblock, a small towel, and my small crossbody purse containing my wallet, copy of passport, chapstick, extra sunglasses, tiny umbrella, bug spray, and a few other small essentials. Had anyone used a daypak with a built-in combination lock? I'll be cruising solo and won't have anyone to watch my back for thieves.   If you have recommendations, please include a link to them.  Waterproof with an outside pock for a water bottle  I will be wearing a sun-protective sunhat and wearing my camera around my neck.  Thank you!

10 hours ago, michelle224 said:

After using a canvas zippered totebag for excursions on my prior cruises, I have decided it's time to invest in a good medium sized daypack.   Any recommendations?  I would bring my Samsung galaxy 7x5 tablet, cell phone, a lens to swap out for my DSLR camera plus extra camera batteries and memory cards, a small zippered meds bag, sunblock, a small towel, and my small crossbody purse containing my wallet, copy of passport, chapstick, extra sunglasses, tiny umbrella, bug spray, and a few other small essentials. Had anyone used a daypak with a built-in combination lock? I'll be cruising solo and won't have anyone to watch my back for thieves.   If you have recommendations, please include a link to them.  Waterproof with an outside pock for a water bottle  I will be wearing a sun-protective sunhat and wearing my camera around my neck.  Thank you!,

UPDATE:  Sorry, I should have mentioned that I will only be doing "bus tour" types of sight-seeing excursions, as I have a bad leg and cannot do a lot of walking.  I will not be doing any beach excursions.  Waterproof is just in case of rain. 

DW and I have been carrying back packs (not day packs) for over thirty years.  Because we take long trips (two months is a norm) we try to carry packs that can serve multiple uses.  Our backpacks are used as our carry-on bags for flights, as day packs, as a carrier when we need to shop at the supermarket (we live in Mexico a few months a year and have rented apartments in various places of Europe), etc.  Our strategy, based on lots of experience, is simple.  My backpack is a relatively large (and strong) and can easily handle a huge volume of stuff when used as a carry on or to carry groceries.  DW's back pack is somewhat smaller (it is a Jansport) and has lots of smaller compartments (including a padded compartment for laptops/tablets.  Her Jansport also has its own raincoat (in an compartment on the outside bottom) which can keep in dry in a hurricane.  When we need a daypack we simply use her Jansport which can easily hold 3 large beach towels and other assorted items.    We also pack 1 or 2 totebags (we have collected dozens from our many trips) which take up little room (when packed) which can be used when appropriate.

Hank

There is no right answer.  From the amount you are thinking of carrying, a structured pack may be better than what is, in effect, a single compartment bag with straps.

My suggestion is to go to a sporting goods store and browse the backpack section.  Look them over and visualize how you might use it.  Then look again.  And again.

I've gone through at least a dozen backpacks, looking for the "ideal" one.  It doesn't exist.  It is only the best you have found for the current needs.  And to that end, I currently have several that I use - again, depending on the particular circumstances and what I need.  My travel backpack, which goes on the airplane with me, is far different than my "shorex" bag, which is much lighter and few compartmentss.  Yet both go on my cruises.

YMMV .

There are lots of bags on ebags.com that might suit your needs.  A large crossbody bag would be my choice, or a backpack.  Travelon makes bags that have a clip on the zipper pull that clips to a small ring when zipped closed, which would make it too laborious for a pickpocket to open quickly, and negate the need for a lock.  Luglife.com has a number of bags that might suit your needs.  EM