Cruise Critic Community
matymil

Website bait and switch?

So I'm looking at a short cruise in Sept. our of NYC. On the booking engine page the price for an interior says $316 (*taxes, fees and port expenses are $188.52) then when I go through the entire process of booking the room (choosing the option to let them book the room for me) and when I get to check out the price per person is now $414 plus the $188.52 for a total of $602.52. I'm not selecting any of extra features...does anyone know why the price jumps $100 from the main screen to the confirmation page? Thanks in advance!

That's the way carnival operates unfortunately.they lure you in with a low price then nickel and dime you on everything you have to shop around.that 249 per person adds up to 499 before it's all said and done.been like that for years and will be forever.

Just now, scpirate said:

That's the way carnival operates unfortunately.they lure you in with a low price then nickel and dime you on everything you have to shop around.that 249 per person adds up to 499 before it's all said and done.been like that for years and will be forever.

Ive booked 10 cruises through them and this is the first time ive noticed. Ive found that when you choose your room the price goes up from the first page for sure but until now I always knew why it went up, like what I was paying for. This is a complete mystery to me

1 hour ago, matymil said:

Ive booked 10 cruises through them and this is the first time ive noticed. Ive found that when you choose your room the price goes up from the first page for sure but until now I always knew why it went up, like what I was paying for. This is a complete mystery to me

What they do is they have guarantee rate codes for resident rates/military/VIFP Club. Considering that the cruise is in September, you will most likely have encountered that! IT IS SO ANNOYING, but it is worth it knowing I do not have to spend over 3,000 for a 7-night Cruise in the summer!

Other cruise lines do it too. I noticed they advertise the guarantee cabin rate on the website. if you want to pick your own cabin, it always cost more.

So it would be $504.52 per person in the running tab up there on the right hand side, and then when you go to check out it jumps to $602.54 per person?  I'd call and ask what's happened.  It could be a glitch on their website.

The $316 price is for a select number of rooms at that rate code and when those are sold out, you have to pay the rate code for whatever rooms are left over.

It's no different than Holiday Inn advertising a $100 room, but when you call, all they have left are $200 rooms.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

The $316 price is for a select number of rooms at that rate code and when those are sold out, you have to pay the rate code for whatever rooms are left over.

It's no different than Holiday Inn advertising a $100 room, but when you call, all they have left are $200 rooms.

This. At one point they did have cabins for $316 but now they don't. I don't let the cruise line pick my cabin for me so I wouldn't notice this.

Edited by sparks1093

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

This. At one point they did have cabins for $316 but now they don't. I don't let the cruise line pick my cabin for me so I wouldn't notice this.

We take our first cruise in Oct 2020 and we didn't let the cruise line pick our room because we didn't want to end up in a cabin with up/down beds! We ended up picking a balcony room ourselves for $400 more than the interior sail-away choice.

They advertise the rock bottom, worse cabin on the ship.  By the time you get the cabin you want (costs more) on the floor you want(also costs more), you are always above the price advertised on the website.

Other cruise lines, hotels, etc. all do this.

23 minutes ago, Frank12 said:

They advertise the rock bottom, worse cabin on the ship.  By the time you get the cabin you want (costs more) on the floor you want(also costs more), you are always above the price advertised on the website.

Op already said they didn't chose any other cabin options, but their price was still higher. Others have explained why.

It is probably is the process of a price change, the website will catch up to the booking engine soon.

That's why they always put "FROM" before the advertised rate. Rates "from" $316. And they also include "AVG PP."

Like seeing a big 40% off sign at a store, but when you get close to it, in smaller print it say "Up to."

LOL price out an NCL cruise ... I started at $608 pp and ended up with a total for 2 of $2400 for an inside & "free" drinks!

20 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I selected other rooms and it was the same deal as well. About $100 more when I went to check out

7 hours ago, Buckimion said:

Figuring in port fees and taxes?

Yes

5 hours ago, aztekpm said:

LOL price out an NCL cruise ... I started at $608 pp and ended up with a total for 2 of $2400 for an inside & "free" drinks!

I just did this last night for a balcony room on an Alaskan cruise. $958/person ended up being $1800/person and a $4200 total.

That'll be a big Nope from me.

It's because the rate you chose when booking wasn't the cheapest one. The $316 was probably an interior guarentee or something

It seems like when OP used "Bait and Switch," what they meant was: "Unclear Pricing Model."

13 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

It seems like when OP used "Bait and Switch," what they meant was: "Unclear Pricing Model."

Click bait most likely.  6/10

Posted (edited)

It's no different than booking any hotel, rental car, airbnb, vrbo, etc.

Edited by dmet0225
edited for spelling

1 hour ago, Don Kehote said:

It has been awhile since a "bait and switch" post has come up. It is what most are saying:

"Unclear pricing model"

"Prices starting at" (limited inventory available)

" Website hasn't caught up" (which isn't a surprise when 100's of people checking/booking)