Cruise Critic Community
frankc98376

Nieuw Amsterdam accident

3 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Delfshaven=part of Rotterdam 🙂

Yes, both very close to Den Haag...

Praying all is well passengers, crew and both cruise ships.

Wishing everyone smooth sailing.

15 hours ago, sppunk said:

Watching that video, it’s hard to tell what exactly happened. I almost wonder if the Oosterdam had a hiccup when activating a thruster.

Glad damage is minimal - they prob have new railings and glass up within 24 hours.

Since it was a stern to stern collision, it could/would have been (yes, pure speculation until the report comes out) an azi-pod issue. The Vistas and up (plus Amsterdam) don't have aft thrusters and/or a Mister Zulu to engage them

image.jpeg.a3770e76e7611b6ec4db1b57a50cdbef.jpeg

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is being investigated as we speak by Transport Canada, the Canadian equivalent of the NTSB. When they conclude their investigation, they will then make a determination if both ships are structurally sound to sail. This doesn't appear to have resulted in any damage below the water line/puncturing of the hull and/or to the azi-pods. If that conclusion happens today, and chances are it will, both ships will sail

Since both ships are bound for US ports does our Coast Guard need to approve as well?

Roy

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Since both ships are bound for US ports does our Coast Guard need to approve as well?

Roy

Whoever needed to approve apparently did, since both ships sailed away at their appointed times ...

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Yes and no.  USCG won't be conducting a casualty investigation, but they do have the authority to prevent them from sailing in to or out of US ports if they are unsafe.  They'll probably take a look at the ships in port but not much else.  

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Not necessarily, since the very capable Transport Canada did so. The USCG can make it part of their own annual or semi-annual inspection whenever that might be due for both ships

48 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since it was a stern to stern collision, it could/would have been (yes, pure speculation until the report comes out) an azi-pod issue. The Vistas and up (plus Amsterdam) don't have aft thrusters and/or a Mister Zulu to engage them

Just route auxiliary power to the structural integrity field... that always seems to work. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Just route auxiliary power to the structural integrity field... that always seems to work. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

"Mister Tuvok, if you're going to remain on my ship, you're going to have to learn how to appreciate a joke. And don't tell me Vulcans don't have a sense of humor, because I know better."

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ah for some reason I though the Vistas had a rear thruster plus pods. 

Mister Zulu would’ve put more than a few railings out of commission however!

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Yes and no.  USCG won't be conducting a casualty investigation, but they do have the authority to prevent them from sailing in to or out of US ports if they are unsafe.  They'll probably take a look at the ships in port but not much else.  

If it didn't break the threshold of "serious marine incident" ($20k damages), then USCG may never even know about it.

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If it didn't break the threshold of "serious marine incident" ($20k damages), then USCG may never even know about it.

Considering a little bit of hail did 40K damage to my home a few years ago, this 'looks' like more than 20K in damages. 

58 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Oh, they know about it. :classic_tongue:

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

No doubt

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Forgot you'd moved there!

Also shows how long its been since I filed a 2692, since the threshold is now $75k!  Showing how old a fart I am.

Edited by chengkp75

Posted (edited)

I would think that HAL ships have spare glass balcony panels stored away onboard in case one breaks.   But to be able to replace steel railings with wood coverings for 4 or more balcony cabins, that will require a parts order to be placed and delivered to the ship when they have an overnight in some port.  Broken glass panels, sure... that can happen and they should be prepared for that.  But losing 50 ft of railing, plus the wood covering is not an expected item that would be stocked onboard.  That repair will take a lot of steel cutting and welding, which will annoy the kaka out of the passengers at the stern of the ship.   We also don't know is any of the wood decking was damaged.

I sure hope the NA had 4 spare suites to put the boarding passengers into.  They paid a premium for aft balcony cabins, so I hope they didn't shove them into available insides or OV's. 

Edited by TAD2005

5 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I sure hope the NA had 4 spare suites to put the boarding passengers into.  They paid a premium for aft balcony cabins, so I hope they didn't shove them into available insides or OV's. 

Exactly what I was thinking!! 😕

39 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I would think that HAL ships have spare glass balcony panels stored away onboard in case one breaks.   But to be able to replace steel railings with wood coverings for 4 or more balcony cabins, that will require a parts order to be placed and delivered to the ship when they have an overnight in some port.  Broken glass panels, sure... that can happen and they should be prepared for that.  But losing 50 ft of railing, plus the wood covering is not an expected item that would be stocked onboard.  That repair will take a lot of steel cutting and welding, which will annoy the kaka out of the passengers at the stern of the ship.   We also don't know is any of the wood decking was damaged.

If think it’s the perfect location though. Very close to headquarters and in the market with many other company ships to get parts / construction help. 

1 minute ago, sppunk said:

If think it’s the perfect location though. Very close to headquarters and in the market with many other company ships to get parts / construction help. 

These ships sailed on time.  There's no way they made any repairs.   They swept up the glass, removed the broken railings, and that was about it.  The Seattle office for HAL is just reservations, and bean counters.  And a cushy office for Ashford.   All HAL ships are built in Italian shipbuilding centers.  That is where they will need to order the replacement railings and parts from.   I think those cabins are locked off, and the connecting doors between balconies are secured.  Those 4 aft balcony cabins will be out of service for weeks until replacement parts arrive.

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

These ships sailed on time.  There's no way they made any repairs.   They swept up the glass, removed the broken railings, and that was about it.  The Seattle office for HAL is just reservations, and bean counters.  And a cushy office for Ashford.   All HAL ships are built in Italian shipbuilding centers.  That is where they will need to order the replacement railings and parts from.   I think those cabins are locked off, and the connecting doors between balconies are secured.  Those 4 aft balcony cabins will be out of service for weeks until replacement parts arrive.

The technical superintendents and technical buyers are there, and the railing parts are likely either off the shelf or stocked in a HAL warehouse, not necessarily from Italy, but probably European, but easily flown over.  The glass can be done by any glass works in the states, it is merely tempered glass.  Steelwork will likely be done at the next turn-around.  Couple weeks, tops.

1 hour ago, TAD2005 said:

HAL carpenters can replace railings while at sea (I’ve seen two sections replaced on Rotterdam following an incident with a lifeboat wench). Glass will take some time to arrive and steel definitely more time for welders.

19 minutes ago, sppunk said:

HAL carpenters can replace railings while at sea (I’ve seen two sections replaced on Rotterdam following an incident with a lifeboat wench). Glass will take some time to arrive and steel definitely more time for welders.

Ooh, what cruise had wenches in the lifeboats???? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

When you saw the railings replaced was it just the wood, or was the metal part being changed, too?

1 hour ago, sppunk said:

an incident with a lifeboat wench

Let's keep this thread family friendly.

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Ooh, what cruise had wenches in the lifeboats???? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

When you saw the railings replaced was it just the wood, or was the metal part being changed, too?

Yes, this could be taken the wrong way, and we still don't know if they meant wrenches or winches.