MITSUGIRLYS FREEDOM OF THE SEAS REVIEW & PICTORIAL

We booked the same tour with Spencer Ambrose while we are there in 2 1/2 weeks.   Did a similar tour about 8 years ago with Cosol and loved it.  Doing Spencer this time because you travel more on the boat, Cosol drives you to the beach and takes you back on the boat.  The Roads in St. Lucia are crazy curvy and i wasn't enjoying the bus ride.   I have to say about the mud baths, my friend Emily and I had pretty rough sunburn (mine was on my forehead) and after we applied that mud and rinsed it off....the sunburn was practically gone.   It was crazy.   Excited to use Spencers this time.   One thing that i did remember about St. Lucia was that a lot of people were VERY pushy about buying things and giving them money.   Reading your review is getting me so excited for my cruise.   I leave for Puerto Rico in 12 days!!

Edited by skidawg79

20 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

These are the two beach we went to our last 2 visits to Antigua.  Just to clarify...the first photo above here (with the water toys IS Darkwood Beach).  We went there a couple years ago and there were no inflatables in the water when we were there.  The beach when we went was pretty quiet, other than by that beach bar in the 1st photo above.  We went further along Darkwood and it looked just like the 2nd photo above.  We spent our day there.

The 3rd photo is condos by the name of Tamarind Hills.  You can walk along the boardwalk you see in the centre of the 3rd photo.  Tamarind Hills looks incredible if you check it out for a week long stay.  If you walk the boardwalk around Tamarind Hills, you end up on Ffryes Beach, which is the last photo above.  We found that beech to be nice but too busy for us.  If you keep walking to the right when facing the water, you reach Little Ffryes.  It is much more remote and quiet.  We spent our day there this past March and enjoyed it.

A question for you.  I was told to try a beach on the far side of the island opposed to the ones we have visited before.  Looking at a map of Antigua, I think it was the beach at the Pineapple Beach Club.  Is that the first beach you visited?  The location looks familiar to what somebody told me.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification on the beaches. We were supposed to visit them all but when you are driving along, they all get mixed up together.

The first beach we visited was called Long Bay Beach. It was absolutely beautiful there. If you look at the map I posted, St Johns cruise port is on the left and take that all the way to the right (over by the "Budget Marine stamp on the map) and you'll see Long Bay.

P4230699%20copy-XL.jpg

8 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Your review is fabulous as always. I love seeing all of your snorkeling pictures. That tour in St. Lucia is giving me ideas. We'll be there on our next cruise in 2020.

Thanks so much and hopefully it might help you out with some ideas.

7 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Looks like a great snorkeling spot!

Aren't squid cool?  One of my favorite things to find anywhere!

That is an amazing amount of orange cup coral, too.  I have never seen that much.  Usually it is in dark spaces, under docks or under ledges, not easy to find.  I would love to see it at night, all opened up!  It would be like a field of flowers.

The large sponges -  barrel sponges.  They can grow as big as 6' tall and across.  I have seen some in Cozumel big enough for a diver to get inside.

The red rope sponge is pretty awesome too.  

Can't remember what other creatures you asked about...  let me know.  

That does look like a fun tour, also.  The mud baths wouldn't work for me though, I don't do hot at all, ever.  

Can't wait until you get to the diving at Barbados!

robin

It was an awesome snorkeling spot. I just love it there. I would love to dive there but since we had the "discount" this time around, we decided to do that instead. Hopefully next time.

I can only imagine what it would look like at night. They must have been confused because it was sunny out and they were even toward the top of the water on the rock opened up.

Wow, I can't imagine a barrel sponge that big. That would be amazing to see.

Wait until you see what I found in Barbados!!!

6 hours ago, blarko said:

Thanks for all the information on the baths. I was in the same mind thought as you....that the mud baths were just that.....tubs of mud that you climbed into. Never would I have thought you would have to “apply” the mud from buckets!!! Nonetheless, it looks like you all enjoyed yourselves and you all look 10 years younger!!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the mud baths are a bath of mud and not a bucket. 😄  LOL  I guess I watch too much t.v. and a mud bath at the spa is a tub of mud you get into. LOL

I will need to keep going to the mud baths to increase my youth. hehe

4 hours ago, skidawg79 said:

We booked the same tour with Spencer Ambrose while we are there in 2 1/2 weeks.   Did a similar tour about 8 years ago with Cosol and loved it.  Doing Spencer this time because you travel more on the boat, Cosol drives you to the beach and takes you back on the boat.  The Roads in St. Lucia are crazy curvy and i wasn't enjoying the bus ride.   I have to say about the mud baths, my friend Emily and I had pretty rough sunburn (mine was on my forehead) and after we applied that mud and rinsed it off....the sunburn was practically gone.   It was crazy.   Excited to use Spencers this time.   One thing that i did remember about St. Lucia was that a lot of people were VERY pushy about buying things and giving them money.   Reading your review is getting me so excited for my cruise.   I leave for Puerto Rico in 12 days!!

Isn't Cosol the one who was just shot and killed? I was thinking I read about that recently. 

So neat about the sunburn part. Since we didn't really get burned this time we didn't get to test that theory. But I know what it feels like to get in anything hot when you have a sunburn and I can't imagine getting into the baths. Ouch.

We haven't really ran into too many pushy people in St Lucia. They were all pretty nice. Just the one that had that comment and then he walked away. He didn't even bother us after we came out of the falls. He must have forgotten he said that and he must say it to everyone that goes by. LOL

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:10 PM, mitsugirly said:

Funny thing is, I posted one of these pictures on my SM and one of my cruise friends said they had the exact same picture. LOL It definitely wow's everyone as you come around that corner and see it. 

I was so shocked when I saw your pictures on facebook and I had basically the same exact picture from January!

I thought Antigua was one of the most beautiful islands I have ever been on. The water and beaches were just amazing.

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

The first beach we visited was called Long Bay Beach. It was absolutely beautiful there. If you look at the map I posted, St Johns cruise port is on the left and take that all the way to the right (over by the "Budget Marine stamp on the map) and you'll see Long Bay.

We will have to try Long Bay Beach next time we are there after your glowing endorsement of it (the reason we went to Blue Kay in  Costa Maya and loved it).  I know you can catch the #33 bus in Antigua from the East Bus station and it will take you out there for $1.50 per person each way.  A really economical way to travel.

I will also have to take another look at where you did your snorkeling in St. Lucia.  I have done that there twice and never saw one-tenth of what you had in your photos.  I would love to scuba dive the Pitons next time we are there.  As for both your comments and those of the others following this thread on St. Lucia, we found the vendors close to the port to be extremely aggressive and we did not feel comfortable.  The further away from the port, the less aggressive they were.  That said, we walked to the market last visit and I assumed we would be mobbed and basically accosted there because we were tourists in an area I thought they were very aggressive.  We actually really enjoyed it there.  Got amazing deals on cheap (and tasty) spiced rum and fresh fruit.

Loving the review by the way...

Edited by Russ Lomas
extra info

6 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Isn't Cosol the one who was just shot and killed? I was thinking I read about that recently. 

So neat about the sunburn part. Since we didn't really get burned this time we didn't get to test that theory. But I know what it feels like to get in anything hot when you have a sunburn and I can't imagine getting into the baths. Ouch.

We haven't really ran into too many pushy people in St Lucia. They were all pretty nice. Just the one that had that comment and then he walked away. He didn't even bother us after we came out of the falls. He must have forgotten he said that and he must say it to everyone that goes by. LOL

Omg I just looked it up!  He was killed last year.   Console himself was actually our tour guide that day.  If I remember correctly he was a retired police officer or something like that.  He was awesome. So sad to hear that.  I attached a pic of my friend and Inwith Cosol. Hope that’s ok.     I’ll be happy to remove it, this is your Review.  

E335ABCD-E2C2-42C8-A164-51A8BBCBFB40.jpeg

Edited by skidawg79

Loving your review so far. I always get excited when you cruise because I know I've got a good read coming!! You're my favorite. I would love to go to St. Lucia. My family is cruising in July and I'm so looking forward to it. I enjoy snorkeling but I never make it as far down as you seem to go. Thank you for always sharing with us. It makes me feel like I am on that trip!

On 5/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, mitsugirly said:

I continued on exploring with Sakari. We came across a bunch of "feather dusters" or worms. I love these things...especially the ones that look like Christmas trees or multi-colored.

P4241483%20copy-L.jpg

P4241484%20copy-L.jpg

P4241488%20copy-L.jpg

P4241489%20copy-L.jpg

This purple and yellow coral...so beautiful.

P4241492%20copy-L.jpg

P4241497%20copy-L.jpg

P4241490%20copy-L.jpg

P4241491%20copy-L.jpg

Okay, what underwater camera are you using?  Is this at the Marine Reserve that is to the Right when you are looking out to the ocean?

20 hours ago, jenseib said:

I was so shocked when I saw your pictures on facebook and I had basically the same exact picture from January!

I thought Antigua was one of the most beautiful islands I have ever been on. The water and beaches were just amazing.

I know. Wasn't that neat??? It has to be that it is breathtaking when you go around that corner and you see the beautiful water and beach below. I bet we're not the only one's that have that same picture. hehe

19 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

I love you're review! The pictures are beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks and glad you like them. 

18 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We will have to try Long Bay Beach next time we are there after your glowing endorsement of it (the reason we went to Blue Kay in  Costa Maya and loved it).  I know you can catch the #33 bus in Antigua from the East Bus station and it will take you out there for $1.50 per person each way.  A really economical way to travel.

I will also have to take another look at where you did your snorkeling in St. Lucia.  I have done that there twice and never saw one-tenth of what you had in your photos.  I would love to scuba dive the Pitons next time we are there.  As for both your comments and those of the others following this thread on St. Lucia, we found the vendors close to the port to be extremely aggressive and we did not feel comfortable.  The further away from the port, the less aggressive they were.  That said, we walked to the market last visit and I assumed we would be mobbed and basically accosted there because we were tourists in an area I thought they were very aggressive.  We actually really enjoyed it there.  Got amazing deals on cheap (and tasty) spiced rum and fresh fruit.

Loving the review by the way...

That sounds like a cheap way to get there for sure (the bus). 

We did the snorkeling at Jalousie Beach between the Pitons. Amazing snorkeling both times we have been there. When you went, are you snorkeling along the right side along the wall? (When facing the beach). It's over in the area that "regular people" stay at and not the pretty beach where the vacationers are staying at the hotel at. That area is mostly grassy and sand. 

So if you are standing on the beach, facing the water, you look all the way to the right. You will see a small boat dock.

P8182158%20copy-L.jpg

There are chairs under the trees in that area

P8192365%20copy-L.jpg

Along that whole side is the snorkeling...picture below...to the right and the rocks there

P8192366%20copy-L.jpg

Here you see the snorkelers going out and the snorkeling is very shallow on the right and slopes down quickly going toward the dock (there's a rope there that you are not to go past because of the boats coming in and out docking). So it's long and not wide. It goes out a little past that rock you see still out way out there (and still pretty shallow). 

P8192380%20copy-L.jpg

Below you can see the ropes in the area not to pass and snorkelers in the background between the rope and the rocks.

P8192452%20copy-L.jpg

P8192453%20copy-L.jpg

Hopefully that helps locate it if it wasn't where you were before. 

P8182155%20copy-L.jpg

16 hours ago, skidawg79 said:

Omg I just looked it up!  He was killed last year.   Console himself was actually our tour guide that day.  If I remember correctly he was a retired police officer or something like that.  He was awesome. So sad to hear that.  I attached a pic of my friend and Inwith Cosol. Hope that’s ok.     I’ll be happy to remove it, this is your Review.  

E335ABCD-E2C2-42C8-A164-51A8BBCBFB40.jpeg

Awww, it's so sad. I thought I had read about that recently. I didn't know it was last year though. The picture is fine. No worries. I just didn't know if his company was still going or not. I thought I had heard that family took it over (just in case anyone was planning on touring with him). 

15 hours ago, TheGirlNextDoor said:

Loving your review so far. I always get excited when you cruise because I know I've got a good read coming!! You're my favorite. I would love to go to St. Lucia. My family is cruising in July and I'm so looking forward to it. I enjoy snorkeling but I never make it as far down as you seem to go. Thank you for always sharing with us. It makes me feel like I am on that trip!

Glad you are enjoying the review. Thanks for such kind words. It means a lot to me. 

When you say that your family hasn't "made it as far down as I go" meaning in the Caribbean?

12 hours ago, perfect match said:

Beautiful snorkeling pictures, Kim! Hope I can get to St Lucia soon. Snorkeling does look beautiful, so I’m sure the diving would be great, too.

Thanks! One day I will dive here! It would just be so amazing!

6 hours ago, RNnNC said:

Okay, what underwater camera are you using?  Is this at the Marine Reserve that is to the Right when you are looking out to the ocean?

I have 3 cameras and they are all the Olympus Tough cameras. (Someone like me always has to have back up in case something goes wrong. I also have about 8 batteries as well...lol I learned my lesson years ago about running my batteries dead because I take so many pictures). 

Yes, the Marine Reserve. 

6 hours ago, Utahcouple38 said:

Thanks for the review. I’m going in November and can’t wait. This has really been helpful. Great pictures!

You are welcome and I hope you have a blast there.

• Like 1

Just now, Cafedumonde said:

Hey mitsugirly, awesome review.  Kind of off topic, but wondering if you have ever been to the port stop Freeport, Bahamas?  I can't remember it being in any of your reviews.

Yes, we have been there twice. Once on the Pride. Once on the Sky. (I don't really care for the port myself). 

On 5/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, mitsugirly said:

Time for a new review: Spring Break 2019!!!

We cruise the Freedom of the Seas out of Old San Juan this time (I just love cruising from here).

P4241809%20copy-L.jpg

Our ports would be:

Leaving San Juan: April 21  8:30pm

Basseterre, St Kitts: April 22  9-6pm

St Johns, Antigua: April 23   8-5pm

Castries, St Lucia: April 24    9-6pm

Bridgetown, Barbados: April 25   8-7pm

Sea Day: April 26  All fricken day long

Philipsburg, St Maarten: April 27  8-6pm

San Juan Arrival: April 28   6am

P4272729%20copy-L.jpg

This time around it would be myself, hubby and Sakari the Mermaid and Kendra's family (Billy, Brayden, Kambriah) and Billy's niece Shawna.

My last cruise in December is when I decided to "resurface" on the web with a new review of our cruise on Carnival's Horizon. So many things had happened in my family since that summer and things were very hectic in life.

Well....I have managed to FINALLY complete my bachelors degree (after dragging it out for years...we all know I plan school and "life" around my cruising lol) and I would consider this my "Graduation cruise". (Hey, any excuse used for a cruise is a good excuse right?). I was going out with a bang!

Since all of the "changes in life" before my last cruise (new grandbabies, youngest son buying a new house and moving out, schooling, selling one of our businesses, and some home remodeling) there have been a few more changes thrown our way. Our Christmas cruise...we (meaning my family and Kendra's) were set to cruise and Kendra's fiance got word that they didn't think his dad would make it to Christmas. The day we were to fly out, Billy pulled out of going on the cruise. His father did make it, but unfortunately, he passed away February 15th this year. Billy has not taken it well (his dad raised him and all of his siblings so they were very close). To make matters worse, Billy's best friend (along with another good friend and an acquaintance) were also killed in a vehicle accident the SAME DAY! It was a crazy day and he has been dealing with a lot. With all that behind him, he really needed this cruise. But wait...there's MORE! Like how can there possibly be more that can be put on this mans shoulders? Two weeks before the cruise, his Uncle passed away. Then his baby sister passed away the Friday before the cruise. 😞  Less than 2 months from his fathers and best friends death he was once again burying another family member. He was not only dealing with all the loss in his family, but also trying to arrange a funeral prior to leaving. I just feel so bad for him and we were also VERY close to his dad and best friend. It's been a living nightmare for all of us. We really needed this cruise and a break away from life in general.

I decided to pick a cruise that would have at least one new port we had never been to before. We absolutely loved cruising with Royal Caribbean last time and figured it was time to come back again for this cruise. Antigua is one port that I had never been to...so we booked.

Now originally we were going to go with an interior, especially since this is another port intensive cruise and we aren't the type to spend much time in our rooms anyhow. But we found the ocean views to be a great deal...then for some reason I took a look at an ULTRA SPACIOUS OCEAN VIEW, which happened to be located at the very front of the ship with 2 windows. Hmmm, it's my graduation celebration cruise right? Heck, why not? I was super excited and knew that any room bigger than any previous interior or balcony had to be awesome right? I booked and was super excited!!!

Kendra played it cheap and booked an interior for their group. Spring Break cruises are always a lot more expensive than other times and she didn't want the added expense...or at least that's what she thought at the time. lol

But before the review begins...just a few non-legal formalities heh heh heh.....

I am so happy to find this review.  I have been in withdrawal with not reading your posts for a while.  I am so sorry to read about all of the sad news and feel so badly for Billie.  He has gone through so much sadness for such a short period of time.  Congratulations to you on reaching your Graduation! 

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

So if you are standing on the beach, facing the water, you look all the way to the right. You will see a small boat dock.

P8192366%20copy-L.jpg

Here you see the snorkelers going out and the snorkeling is very shallow on the right and slopes down quickly going toward the dock (there's a rope there that you are not to go past because of the boats coming in and out docking). So it's long and not wide. It goes out a little past that rock you see still out way out there (and still pretty shallow).

P8182155%20copy-L.jpg

That is the exact area we snorkeled when we did Cosol's tour (twice).  We saw neat stuff, but nowhere near the amount of amazing stuff that you took photos of.  We did not have too long there on the Cosol stop, so maybe you had more time to search or maybe my eyes are not as good as your eyes.  Like I said, I will have to dive there next time.

April 25: Barbados   8-7pm

P1011910%20copy-L.jpg

Off to breakfast we go and I was having my normal breakfast this time around. 

P1021911%20copy-L.jpg

This time we had a nice window seat and could watch the ship pulling in. 

P1021912%20copy-L.jpg

Now today we weren't in too big of a hurry. We were going diving today and we didn't have to be there until 11 or 12 noon. But, we did want to get there (at least I did) early enough to enjoy some beach time as well. So, that meant we were getting off shortly after docking. 😉

Now to back track a little. Since we always like to scuba dive in at least one port each cruise, I was struggling with actually where to pick. Kia and her daughter Michaela went diving, for the first time, on our last cruise together and they really enjoyed it and said that was a requirement this time around as well. Now, this time Kendra was going and if you think I get anxiety bad before and during diving, you should see her. She has a heck of a time getting used to the breathing with the regulator and freaks out. The last dive, she didn't even get to complete. (She ALWAYS uses some excuse...my mask is leaking, my fins don't fit right, the boat made me sick, blah blah blah). I get that anxiety too in the beginning...just not as bad as her and I know it's an excuse for her. HOWEVER, she actually said "We HAVE to go diving this time around so find us a good spot!" SAY WHAT?!? I couldn't believe she was requesting this. She said "as long as it's a shore dive". Well...I was the same way in the past, but we have done several boat dives now and I'm comfortable with it and it no longer worries me. I actually like it from the boat. 

Scouting around here on cc, ABQrobin (who has given me tons of advice in the past about diving) suggested a place in Barbados...Blue Water Sports. She has them booked for an upcoming cruise and I figured why not. I corresponded with them about the amount of divers we had, ages and so on. They had excellent communication back and forth and I have TONS of emails to prove it. 

We talked about transportation. We talked about how we wanted to stay at the beach before and after the dive and how long we were in port for. We talked about our group and experience and also about how the day would go, where we would dive, how long we would be out...and THAT IT WAS A BOAT DIVE. Oops...well, they assured me that it was a VERY short ride out to the site (not long enough to sit there and get sea sick which is one of Kendra's excuses) and assured me that it would be better getting dropped off there than having to swim that far. Kendra was just going to have to deal with it. They also assured me that they do the class and skills BEFORE going out on the boat and in a pool. Also great news. So we booked with them. We would be diving at several ship wrecks and I was excited. 

The cost of the dive was $99 per person for discover scuba and the dive shop was supposed to be around 10 minutes away from the port. It sounded good to us!

So, off the ship we went...and of course "X" was in port with us...and like always, they arrived before us. That meant they had the "prime parking spot" and we were FAAAAARRRRR AWAY! Geesh, like REALLY REALLY FAR! It was quite some walk to even get to the port! I was about to be worn out before we ever made it to dive and I wasn't liking that. 

Once we arrived to the port and out the door we didn't find anyone waiting for us nor did we actually know where to go. There always seems to be a lot of confusion at that port with taxi's and if you go inside or outside the port. Since we had been to a port (Antigua) that let the vendors on the dock, we really wasn't sure.  

We ended up being put in a taxi inside the port and we were off. I asked the driver about the price and he ignored me. I wasn't getting a good feeling about that. After he dropped the other families off, I ask again. He still didn't answer. I finally had to say "Hey Mister!" He finally answered and I was told it was going to be $7.50/pp for the ride there. Kendra came in a taxi shortly after us. 

When he had asked me where we were going I had told him (several times) "We are diving with Barbados Blue Watersports  that is located right by the Hilton." He kept questioning it for some reason and asking if I was sure that was it. I asked if there was a dive place there by the Hilton and he said "yes". So...that's it then. The attitude and the tone of his voice just kinda struck a nerve with me as being rude. This has happened to us in the past as well with drivers in Barbados.  

Now we were told it was 10 minutes away. It was around 20 minutes (with dropping off everyone in the taxi in one other location, which probably only added 1 minute total). When we arrived, he immediately jumped out, left the drivers door open and bus running, didn't open our door, and went inside. Um...ok. So we managed to get out and went up to the dive shop and he was coming out the door and said "Are you sure you have reservations here?". I said, "If you brought us to Barbados Blue Watersports by the Hilton, then yes we do". He insisted on seeing them, which I thought was really weird. I walked past him and into the dive shop and talked to the people inside and presented my paperwork with our payments. They told him we belonged there. I thought it was really strange that he was doing all of this in the manor in which he was doing it along with his tone of voice. He gave off the vibe that he didn't believe us. I don't know...maybe it's just the way they act there or something. It just didn't make me feel comfortable.  

But we had made it! 

54 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

Love your review!!

I'm like you, I love snorkeling...

Have you made it to the Cook Islands in the South Pacific?

Harder to get to, but amazing snorkeling...

Thanks so much. 

I haven't heard of Cook Islands. What port would that be?

34 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Where did you go to school? Nurse correct? 

My wife just graduated from Capital with her Masters In Nursing.

As always, awesome review!

I went to Columbus State for my Associates and Ohio University for my Bachelors. 

Thanks for the comment and glad you are enjoying the review. 

26 minutes ago, CAC104 said:

I am so happy to find this review.  I have been in withdrawal with not reading your posts for a while.  I am so sorry to read about all of the sad news and feel so badly for Billie.  He has gone through so much sadness for such a short period of time.  Congratulations to you on reaching your Graduation! 

Haha. Yea, I don't get on SM anymore. It was just consuming too much of my time. I only post now when I have some cruise pictures or something important I guess. I can't remember, did you see my Christmas cruise review?

Thanks for the congrats! Much appreciated! 🙂

13 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

That is the exact area we snorkeled when we did Cosol's tour (twice).  We saw neat stuff, but nowhere near the amount of amazing stuff that you took photos of.  We did not have too long there on the Cosol stop, so maybe you had more time to search or maybe my eyes are not as good as your eyes.  Like I said, I will have to dive there next time.

Yea, if you get a chance, definitely check it out again. It's just an amazing place and has been the same both times we have went there. I would love to dive there! I just gotta make it back again. hehe

After checking in, we were told to "go hang out at the tables outside the dive shop". But, we were extremely early so...I had already said we wanted to hang out at the beach. I told them that's where we would be going and no one else was even there yet. I mean why sit around on a picnic beach waiting for awhile when we could be sitting on the beach. They said ok and we went right outside the gate and found a spot in the shade. 

P1021915%20copy-L.jpg

P1021914%20copy-L.jpg

P1021916%20copy-L.jpg

P1021920%20copy-L.jpg

P1021924%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra arrived shortly after that and then came Kia fashionably late. 😉   Maybe her and Kendra were separated at birth somehow. I'm beginning to wonder since this happened the last time we dove together. LOL (I still love you Kia 😉 )

Now remember Kendra had one extra person with her...Shawna. She wanted to see if she could dive too and if not, she would just stay on the beach with Billy and Kam. They first said yes, then changed it to no. Then maybe. Then "we have too many kids". They were so confused. They said there couldn't be more than 4 people in a group (there were 2 other people diving that day in addition to our huge group). Then they said no more than one child per group. Then said it didn't matter because Shawna was 13 years old and the one child per group only applied to anyone under 12 years old. 

Then they tried to figure out how to split everyone up. They said there were 3 instructors. Ok, well obviously the "split" is easy enough. Me, the hubby and Sakari (one child under 12) would be with one instructor. Kendra, Shawna and Brayden (one child under 12) would be with another. Kia and Michaela (who is also 13) and the other 2 people with the other instructor. Easy-peasy right? Or at least you would think so. I mean it made sense to me but they would get confused and say "wait, we can't do that because there's 2 children in this group (Kendras) so we need to put one child with another group". Um, ok, you just said it was fine because one is 13. ......... "Oh, ok then, it's fine". Then confusion would set in again and they'd bring it up. They talked about moving one kid from Kendra's group to either our group or Kia's. Wow, now does that make sense? No matter what, you are going to have more than 2 kids in one group. Ugh, this confusion lasted for a little bit before they finally all caught on. Whew!

P1021927%20copy-L.jpg

We were then fitted for our equipment and told we were heading over to the Hilton. The Hilton is a bit of a walk. It's down and across the street and up a hill. Then threw the building, up the steps, down to the other pool and around. Whew. 

• Like 1

They started putting our equipment together and those of us who "thought" we could do it could help as well. Kendra and I tackled one of them while they started on the others. 

P4251929%20copy-L.jpg

We hit the water, put our equipment on and the "class" instruction started. Now this instructor that was going over everything with us was...simply put...amazing! She said things in a way that everyone understood (even though we already knew what she was saying because we have done it before) but she presented it in a way that gave examples, in simple terms, of why this did that or how this happens, with examples that we could relate to. Wow, I really liked her! The other instructor kinda stayed there and didn't talk much but was there to help us out and with our skills for check off. 

P4251928%20copy-L.jpg

Our skills check off began and one by one we removed our regulator and put it back in. We cleared our mask. We threw our regulator over our shoulders and retrieved it....and so on. Then came....REMOVING THE MASK??? Yikes. People panicked. We weren't prepared for this. Everyone said "we've never had to do this before". She said, "it's better safe than sorry and at least you'll know the skill". People were freaking. Honestly, all I could think about is my eyelashes that I have managed not to get a single drop of water on them since the beginning of vacation and now I'm about to drown them. LOL  Kendra freaked out of course and the issues started with her thereafter. 

Ok, I was bound and determined to do this. When it was my turn, I did it, but my mask was never the same again no matter how many times I cleared it. Eventually I would have to come to the surface and correct it to feel comfortable. All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't done in saltwater! There was one other lady that absolutely refused. No way was she doing it and she said she would no longer be diving with them that day if she had to do that. Kendra was still struggling and ended up getting one on one attention for quite some time. 

Some time during the check off skills another instructor came along and entered the pool. She immediately started barking orders, had an attitude and was just rude with her demeanor. She gave off that "I know it all and do no wrong" type of attitude. The only way to describe it is...you know how you have teachers in school for young children and you can tell those that are good at their jobs and really care about the kids and are patient versus those that are just there for a paycheck and could care less? Yea, it's that kinda difference. 

Once we completed check off's we were to grab our things and head back to the dive shop where they would meet us once everyone was completed. We were one of the first to leave. 

Moment of truth...we were about to get on the boat and head out.

Then off we went (about 5 minutes from shore just like they said). 

P4250001%20copy-L.jpg

P4250003%20copy-L.jpg

Kendra was looking worried. 

P4251930%20copy-L.jpg

Me, I was excited and not very nervous at all this time. I was excited about doing a boat dive as well and pumped up Sakari about going off the boat to keep her from being scared like she was last time we dove from a boat. You could tell by the look on her face, she wasn't too sure. 

P4251931%20copy-L.jpg

P4251932%20copy-L.jpg

Now I was equipped with a camera and so was Kendra. We were told we would all be in the same area, but not together. So, we would be apart enough that we wouldn't be together and would cross paths here and there. I made sure to put her camera on the water setting prior to handing it to her. 

We put our equipment on and it was time to dive. Now I'm normally super nervous in the beginning and until I get going or I have something interesting to look at in the water, my mind gets the best of me. However, our last dive I was super comfortable and didn't get nervous at all. I was hoping for the same thing this time around.

Here's a short video of us jumping in. I have to say going off backwards is funner!

Sakari hesitated but did it and was fine. 

We were told to swim toward the line and ease our way down then wait at the bottom. No problems there.

Here's some of Kendra's pictures.  

P4250005%20copy-L.jpg

Shawna was karate chopping her way down obviously

P4250008%20copy-L.jpg

Brayden was feeling comfortable. 

P4250009%20copy-L.jpg

Then off they went. 

P4250011%20copy-L.jpg

P4250012%20copy-L.jpg

But first a selfie...obviously Kendra wasn't having any issues this time around and no excuses. Good for her. Maybe this will be a good dive for her. I was worried. 

P4250013%20copy-L.jpg

• Like 1

I will start with Kendra's dive first since we really didn't even see them after the initial start of the dive. 

P4250014%20copy-L.jpg

P4250015%20copy-L.jpg

They immediately see a Scorpion Fish. They are a very venomous fish and they look just like a rock. They are sometimes hard to spot and you definitely don't want to step on one. (I don't know the difference between the Scorpion Fish and the Stone Fish...they both look the same to me and both pretty deadly, but they said these were Scorpion fishes). 

P4250018%20copy-L.jpg

P4250020%20copy-L.jpg

P4250021%20copy-L.jpg

P4250022%20copy-L.jpg

P4250025%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, Kendra was off to a good start...then all of a sudden....

BLUE, BLUR, BLUE, BLUR...what the heck just happened? Her pictures are crap from here on out. I don't know if she hit a button and switched them or what. Ugh

Trumpet fish

P4250027%20copy-L.jpg

Puffer

P4250033%20copy-L.jpg

P4250034%20copy-L.jpg

P4250035%20copy-L.jpg

Now mind you...I had no idea what they had seen on their dive trip until after we got back to the boat and we compared notes. I have to say that they had a MUCH BETTER dive experience than we did and seen more than we did and I'm totally jealous!!!!!

They managed to see a HUGE porcupine puffer and followed it for awhile and she got pretty darn close to it. 

P4250037%20copy-L.jpg

She also seen a flying gurnard...or something similar to it. 

P4250041%20copy-L.jpg

P4250044%20copy-L.jpg

P4250046%20copy-L.jpg

She also must have passed Kia and Michaels group at some point because she managed to get a picture of them. 

P4250047%20copy-L.jpg

P4250051%20copy-L.jpg

P4250053%20copy-L.jpg

On 5/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, mitsugirly said:

Star Lounge

I honestly do not remember this place or taking the picture. But when I looked it up, I assume that's what it was.

P4272638%20copy-L.jpg

Hi Mitsugirly!

This is so cool.  After reading some of your reviews over the last few years I saw this one and realized we just sailed together on this cruise.  LOL!   I probably saw you out and about and didn't even realize it.  🙂

I just wanted to let you know that, no, this is not the Star Lounge.  I am stumped though.  I have NO clue what it is so big help that I am.