Cruise Critic Community
mitsugirly

MITSUGIRLYS FREEDOM OF THE SEAS REVIEW & PICTORIAL

Kim, thanks as always for your hard work on this review.  Your writing and pictures are a great escape during my workday and always get me excited for our next cruise.  Glad to see you back on CC.  - Lee

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

It was happening very late at night and he is unfamiliar with emergency vets. We only had text service so I couldn't look at up to tell him to take him to plus he had work at 4am in the morning and just got off vacation a few weeks ago and couldn't miss. He wouldn't have known what to do and knew we were supposed to be there within the hour (but our flight got delayed and he didn't know). We are very lucky he made it. It was touch and go for a few days. I mean even the er vet didn't do anything for him other than hydrate him and give him something to calm his stomach.

We had a similar experience. Bailey was hiding something from us in her mouth. Squirrels had broken a mouse trap unit and she got into the poison. Vet induced vomiting, gave charcoal and hydrated. It's scary. You have a beautiful dog!! 

A belated question if I might, loved the picture showing the path in San Juan leading to a playground area with Thing 1 image on the pathway leading in- I have not found a single other mention of this park you discovered, if you were looking at this map of the tourist area of Old San Juan, I think you were near it close to when you came back through that big gate, do you know what number might be in its general area  just to narrow down the search please... and if that gate was near any of these reference numbers by chance, or a word on the map, hints gratefully appreciated.323_oldsanjuanattractions.jpg

It does make more sense to get certified but honestly, without going into details, I have been given some bad news regarding my health and given "5 years or less". So, I just don't think that it's in the cards for me at this time and I'm happy with what I'm doing as long as I'm living life to the fullest and just happy to be blessed enough to spend this time with my family. We will see what the future holds for me. It's just too up in the air at the moment.

Kim....when I read this I was absolutely shocked and so sad.  I just can't believe that this could be true.  Surely there is something that can be done so you don't have to face this limited time frame.  As you know, so much is discovered with medical treatments, and I sincerely hope something can be done for you.

small PS, I do see on the map that the gate you mentioned is #14, have had great fun following along, found the fountain, umbrella road, Pigeon Park (24), have really enjoyed following your adventures, we are on the Freedoms ABC itinerary but I already want to book another one with the islands you visited  :0)  Great trip report, thank you for all your time, we're right after the amplified.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:49 AM, WisconsinFan said:

If you are considering Alaska at all you may want to do a round trip out of Seattle. Airfare because it is roundtrip may be more affordable, and you wouldn't have as long of a flight, also consider going on shoulder season. May or early June. The Alaska cruise we did was 7 days out of Seattle and was the first part of June (just after our kids got out of school) only a week later and the rates went up significantly. It might have been a bit cool for some, but it wasn't much different than what we left in Wisconsin 🙂 We also chose round trip because the airfare was much more reasonable. This was in 2011, so things may have changed. Would love to go back.

I know June is too early for me since I just went on vacation. Isn't "round trip" considered from you home airport and back? So I would still have to purchase tickets from here to Seattle as well.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, Biker19 said:

The general recommendation you raised is still valid. Also, a minor point, but you might be able to get away without a passport with a sailing out of Settle.

We all have passports so that wouldn't be an issue.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

I'll bet your tank is awesome!  They have some real nice tanks near the lobby of the Courtyard hotel we've stayed at when on our most recent cruises out of there, that have corals, anemones, and fish.  I was mesmerized by those.

Yes, it was a ship/boat that did the booze cruise excursion in Barbados.  We booked the tour through the cruise line.  I don't know if they used it for other excursions it or not.  The name of it is/was "Bajan Queen".  I guess I forgot to mention the name.  It DID look like a ferry boat, maybe it was at one time.  It was docked right in front of the building that the shopping area is at now (yellow buildings), so it was a fairly short walk to get to it from our ship.  It is cool to see it before and now after, but kind of sad.  At least we have great memories from it.

Yea, watching saltwater tanks is so relaxing and interesting to watch them interact.

Oh, ok makes sense about an excursion type boat. I looked up the info on her:

Bajan Queen: Carlisle Bay ~ 35ft  ~ She was Barbados’ first tugboat named the “Pelican” when the Bridgetown Harbour was being constructed in the 1960’s. A decade later, as more modern tugboats were purchased; the Pelican was then converted to a party boat called “Bajan Queen”.  The Bajan Queen holds many memories for thousands of Barbadians and visitors alike. After years of operation as the party spot the Bajan Queen was donated to the Coastal Zone Management Unit.  From there with the assistance of our very own Andre Miller the Bajan Queen was cleaned up and sunk on 19th May 2002 in Carlisle Bay Marine Park.  She now sits only a few feet below the surface and is accumulating some excellent fish life and good coral diversity.

So cool to know the history and someone that has been on it.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:19 PM, Lupush said:

Kim, thanks as always for your hard work on this review.  Your writing and pictures are a great escape during my workday and always get me excited for our next cruise.  Glad to see you back on CC.  - Lee

You are welcome and thanks for the comments. Thanks for the welcome back. Hopefully I'll have a little more time on these boards in the future now that I don't have to worry about school.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

We had a similar experience. Bailey was hiding something from us in her mouth. Squirrels had broken a mouse trap unit and she got into the poison. Vet induced vomiting, gave charcoal and hydrated. It's scary. You have a beautiful dog!! 

Oh my! Glad everything turned out ok. Our ER vet wouldn't even induce vomiting. Said I needed to call this number, give them the actual name and ingredients in it and pay $65 for the phone call, then and only then, they could get something to give to him. 😞  It was the middle of the night and I had no idea what the actual name was or the ingredients and wasn't even 100% that is what happened but was the only logical explanation. Hundreds of $$ later...he was only hydrated and given 2 shots to "calm his stomach" and sent home.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:19 PM, T-2 said:

A belated question if I might, loved the picture showing the path in San Juan leading to a playground area with Thing 1 image on the pathway leading in- I have not found a single other mention of this park you discovered, if you were looking at this map of the tourist area of Old San Juan, I think you were near it close to when you came back through that big gate, do you know what number might be in its general area  just to narrow down the search please... and if that gate was near any of these reference numbers by chance, or a word on the map, hints gratefully appreciated.323_oldsanjuanattractions.jpg

It's not by the big gate. If you are getting off the ship and going left, take the main road where you will find the vendors along the road with food and selling things. The wall is along that road too. I believe it is Paseo de la Princesa road.  It's way before you ever get to the water statue by the water (which is also called Paseo de la Princesa). The last time we were here it was just a park with some stands for concerts and stuff. If I had to pick a number on that map, it would be around 30. I hope that helps. 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, CAC104 said:

It does make more sense to get certified but honestly, without going into details, I have been given some bad news regarding my health and given "5 years or less". So, I just don't think that it's in the cards for me at this time and I'm happy with what I'm doing as long as I'm living life to the fullest and just happy to be blessed enough to spend this time with my family. We will see what the future holds for me. It's just too up in the air at the moment.

Kim....when I read this I was absolutely shocked and so sad.  I just can't believe that this could be true.  Surely there is something that can be done so you don't have to face this limited time frame.  As you know, so much is discovered with medical treatments, and I sincerely hope something can be done for you.

There is definitely surgery but many factors go into it which prevent it at this time. I will have to activate/download my messenger and fill you in. I haven't had messenger for almost 9 months or so. I've had people tell me they have tried to message me with no response. That would be why.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, T-2 said:

small PS, I do see on the map that the gate you mentioned is #14, have had great fun following along, found the fountain, umbrella road, Pigeon Park (24), have really enjoyed following your adventures, we are on the Freedoms ABC itinerary but I already want to book another one with the islands you visited  :0)  Great trip report, thank you for all your time, we're right after the amplified.

We have walked all of San Juan so many times and there's so many things to see...if not for just the picture opportunity. LOL We didn't go as many places this time around because we've been everywhere previous times. But if you've found any other places you'd like to know about from previous reports, let me know.

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Oh my! Glad everything turned out ok. Our ER vet wouldn't even induce vomiting. Said I needed to call this number, give them the actual name and ingredients in it and pay $65 for the phone call, then and only then, they could get something to give to him. 😞  It was the middle of the night and I had no idea what the actual name was or the ingredients and wasn't even 100% that is what happened but was the only logical explanation. Hundreds of $$ later...he was only hydrated and given 2 shots to "calm his stomach" and sent home.

That's just stupid (my opinion only). I expect more from a vet that a huge bill for hydration.

If you could look back at post 453, about the Thing 1 figure on the ground leading to a playground, I was hoping you might remember about where you were... some of our best things have been just stumbled on by accident or taking a wrong turn, we love exploring but its also fun to have a few goals, landmarks/photo spots, thrown into the adventure.  My grandson lit right up when he saw that photo you took, if you don't remember its no worry- i just told him I'd ask :0)  Super appreciative and thanks.

7 hours ago, T-2 said:

If you could look back at post 453, about the Thing 1 figure on the ground leading to a playground, I was hoping you might remember about where you were... some of our best things have been just stumbled on by accident or taking a wrong turn, we love exploring but its also fun to have a few goals, landmarks/photo spots, thrown into the adventure.  My grandson lit right up when he saw that photo you took, if you don't remember its no worry- i just told him I'd ask :0)  Super appreciative and thanks.

I answered the location in my last post. See post #456  It's super easy to find.

4 minutes ago, cruisr4fun said:

I believe the playground is called Parque del nino and is within the Luis Munoz-Rivera park:   https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/parque-luis-munoz-rivera-park/ 

Although the sign did say Parque del nino beside it, it's not in the Luis Munoz Rivera park. If you look at the map on the link you provided, that's really far away from the port area where this is located. This is located right by the port on Paseo de la Princesa.

13 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I know June is too early for me since I just went on vacation. Isn't "round trip" considered from you home airport and back? So I would still have to purchase tickets from here to Seattle as well.

I wasn't thinking this June 🙂 yes that would be a very quick (and most likely expensive!) turn around. Just a thought for the future.

Round trip meant a cruise starting and ending in Seattle. When you look at Alaska cruises you will find many that go one way, either from Vancouver BC north to say Seward, or just the opposite, Seward back to Vancouver. Those itineraries require you to buy a one way ticket to your port of embarkation and a one way ticket from where you get off, with one of course being in Canada. Often that can result in a more expensive way to do things- instead of starting and stopping in Seattle and buy one domestic round trip ticket.

Super Thank you, I had totally missed the earlier part of 456 and only caught the ending, had peeked in case way too late that night and was skimming, was so excited you were still on your posts, we are close to #19 at the Decantur so I know this is going to be a wonderful break for the grandson.  Exploring is awesome but the chance to find other kids from time to time is also priceless when you travel with an only child.  Can't wait for our turn on the Freedom and thank you so much for all the insights!  PS we did know about the kite area but that park seemed super handy.  Small is still just fine. 

3 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

I wasn't thinking this June 🙂 yes that would be a very quick (and most likely expensive!) turn around. Just a thought for the future.

Round trip meant a cruise starting and ending in Seattle. When you look at Alaska cruises you will find many that go one way, either from Vancouver BC north to say Seward, or just the opposite, Seward back to Vancouver. Those itineraries require you to buy a one way ticket to your port of embarkation and a one way ticket from where you get off, with one of course being in Canada. Often that can result in a more expensive way to do things- instead of starting and stopping in Seattle and buy one domestic round trip ticket.

Oh ok gotcha. Good to know. I guess I didn't realize that they start and stop at different places, which was what was confusing me. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep this in mind.

2 hours ago, T-2 said:

Super Thank you, I had totally missed the earlier part of 456 and only caught the ending, had peeked in case way too late that night and was skimming, was so excited you were still on your posts, we are close to #19 at the Decantur so I know this is going to be a wonderful break for the grandson.  Exploring is awesome but the chance to find other kids from time to time is also priceless when you travel with an only child.  Can't wait for our turn on the Freedom and thank you so much for all the insights!  PS we did know about the kite area but that park seemed super handy.  Small is still just fine. 

No problem. I figured you missed that reply.

We stayed at Decanter last time and absolutely loved the place. It's located more toward the back of OSJ (compared to the ship port) and we explored a lot more back there that time around with the forts and grave yard (which is so pretty). So you'll just walk down toward the wall and it would probably be just as easy to walk through the gate and along the water until the end at the Raices water fountain and head down that street to the playground. Otherwise, you'll be walking on the upper half on the other side of the wall and around and down to get to it. OSJ is super easy to navigate! Super easy!

Have a wonderful time.

Kim,

Thank you for writing this review.  I am caring for one of my dogs who just went through dental surgery today (poor little thing her face is swollen from the extractions.) This helped me be quiet while caring for her.  I'm so sorry to hear of your health problem and truly hope that somehow things will turn around so you can have the surgery and everything goes great and you get back to normal.  About 19 years ago I was faced with a catastrophic life-shattering injury that I had a less than 2% chance of making a full recovery from.  I had to make drastic changes in my life to make the recovery and steel myself and work tenaciously on a daily basis pushing past incredible pain and 9 surgeries over the course of a year, but I did the "impossible" and not only recovered fully, but far past my surgeon's idea of what was even possible for me - this after 3 other surgeons told me nothing could be done and I'd be handicapped for the rest of my life. They were wrong.   I searched until I found a doctor who believed he could help me.  My recovery was complex and I had all kinds of setbacks where it appeared it wasn't going to work, but I persevered.  Believe in the power you have within yourself, harness the help you need from the medical profession and use it to the max and know others are pulling for you!  

Hi

i was trolling around looking for info on Maya Chan in Costa Maya.  I thought you may have a review on them.  Sure enough you did.  I was reading about your time there and I saw a picture of a young girl holding a starfish.  It took me awhile to realize that was Sakari!  She is so cute.  You can see she really enjoyed the water even at her young age.  Time passes too quickly and our kids grow up.  

First, I wish you luck and good vibes on your health situation.

I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into your reviews. They are fun to read and assist us all in planning, or wishful planning, our cruises! (yes those $800 airfares to San Juan is a reality out of California!)

Watching your daughter grow up has been part of the fun since my kids are a few years behind her it gives me a preview of what is to come. I had a tear for you when she wouldn't go to the kids club!

Oh and the pop vs soda debate.  No matter what you order, it is a "coke" here in CA.

Edited by bearette

Just now, bearette said:

I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into your reviews. They are fun to read and assist us all in planning, or wishful planning, our cruises! (yes those $800 airfares to San Juan is a reality out of California!)

Watching your daughter grow up has been part of the fun since my kids are a few years behind her it gives me a preview of what is to come. I had a tear for you when she wouldn't go to the kids club!

Oh and the pop vs soda debate.  No matter what you order, it is a "coke" here in CA.

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ just found your review so have lots of reading to do!!

Bringing it up the page so I can find it again.

Hope you loved Freedom, I did, so did it twice.

I'm sticking with NCL & just got back last month from a TA from NYC to Amsterdam. Branching out to MSC next year though.

~ Jo ~😊

On 5/29/2019 at 9:56 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

Kim,

Thank you for writing this review.  I am caring for one of my dogs who just went through dental surgery today (poor little thing her face is swollen from the extractions.) This helped me be quiet while caring for her.  I'm so sorry to hear of your health problem and truly hope that somehow things will turn around so you can have the surgery and everything goes great and you get back to normal.  About 19 years ago I was faced with a catastrophic life-shattering injury that I had a less than 2% chance of making a full recovery from.  I had to make drastic changes in my life to make the recovery and steel myself and work tenaciously on a daily basis pushing past incredible pain and 9 surgeries over the course of a year, but I did the "impossible" and not only recovered fully, but far past my surgeon's idea of what was even possible for me - this after 3 other surgeons told me nothing could be done and I'd be handicapped for the rest of my life. They were wrong.   I searched until I found a doctor who believed he could help me.  My recovery was complex and I had all kinds of setbacks where it appeared it wasn't going to work, but I persevered.  Believe in the power you have within yourself, harness the help you need from the medical profession and use it to the max and know others are pulling for you!  

So sorry to hear about your fur baby. Hopefully she is doing better now. 

Thanks for sharing your words of encouragement. I'm so glad things turned out so good for you. Hopefully I'll find a way to correct my heart and be able to have a surgery I desperately need. Money is one of the major factors in this scenario. I just can not afford heart surgery and not sure how I can pull it off. 😞

On 5/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, cincicruisers said:

Hi

i was trolling around looking for info on Maya Chan in Costa Maya.  I thought you may have a review on them.  Sure enough you did.  I was reading about your time there and I saw a picture of a young girl holding a starfish.  It took me awhile to realize that was Sakari!  She is so cute.  You can see she really enjoyed the water even at her young age.  Time passes too quickly and our kids grow up.  

LOL That was one of our first cruises with her I believe. She was only 3 at the time and it started this whole love of the ocean and creatures on that cruise. She's never been the same since. She learned to swim at that age and I knew at that time that swimming in the ocean and increasing her skills were going to explode after that. My how things have progressed. 😄

On 6/1/2019 at 2:03 AM, bearette said:

Watching your daughter grow up has been part of the fun since my kids are a few years behind her it gives me a preview of what is to come. I had a tear for you when she wouldn't go to the kids club!

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate you mentioning the time and effort it goes into these reviews and as long as it helps others out with planning, giving them ideas, and enjoying a little humor in the things our crazy family does, it's all worth it. 

I look back on her earlier cruising years and think "oh my!" I had no idea the cruising monster I would create back then. LOL  She loves her cruising and ocean for sure!

No more kids club for her. She has mentioned that she can't wait to get into the "teen club" so maybe that will change once she turns...12 is it? We'll see.

I do remember others telling me (on another review) that it's called "coke" (I believe they said in Texas) no matter what drink you are having. hehe

3 hours ago, retiring soon said:

Hi all!

mitsugirly ~ just found your review so have lots of reading to do!!

Bringing it up the page so I can find it again.

Hope you loved Freedom, I did, so did it twice.

I'm sticking with NCL & just got back last month from a TA from NYC to Amsterdam. Branching out to MSC next year though.

~ Jo ~😊

Absolutely LOVED the freedom for sure!  We are going back to NCL for our next. 

We are headed back to NCL and on the Breakaway next...so look for me over there in August!!! We will be going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan again (with Harvest Caye being new for us). 🙂

Edited by mitsugirly

Hi Kim,

Another thank you for writing this review.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it as well as other reviews you have posted in the past.  That family of yours cracks me up!  Always an adventure.  We have a cruise booked leaving San Juan on December 1st doing the ABC islands on the Freedom of the Seas.  Have never been to Bonaire, but have been to the other two islands.  It was great seeing your pictures and now we know what to expect.  We also are planning on leaving here (well Detroit, MI) on your US Thanksgiving, however, airfares are currently crazy for that day.  So as of right now no flights booked.   We have an Air BNB booked for 3 nights pre-cruise, staying near the Marriott Stellars Casino (actually our studio apt. overlooks the ocean with a glimpse of that Marriott) in view.  We have cruised previously out of San Juan and stayed at the Marriott, but prices for Thanksgiving are just crazy.  

Wishing you all the best with your health issues and saying some words to the "man upstairs" on your behalf.   Stay positive, get second opinions and never give up!  That family of yours I'm sure is doing their part to keep you smiling, laughing and going strong.

We did an Alaskan cruise five years ago to celebrate my DH's retirement.  It was absolutely stunning.  If you get a chance, do it.

We did a return cruise via Seattle (with a few days before in Seattle and a day after) and absolutely loved it.  As a matter of fact, we were on the ship 5 years ago today!!  Great memories.

21 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

So sorry to hear about your fur baby. Hopefully she is doing better now. 

Thanks for sharing your words of encouragement. I'm so glad things turned out so good for you. Hopefully I'll find a way to correct my heart and be able to have a surgery I desperately need. Money is one of the major factors in this scenario. I just can not afford heart surgery and not sure how I can pull it off. 😞

Kim,

My dog is doing so much better. She is patting her feet enthusiastically and seems really happy and is more active than she has been in months. So I think most of the dental pain is gone.  Definitely the infection has cleared up. 

Have you talked to the personnel in the Billing department at the hospital?  Hospital billing departments have all kinds of ways to help patients afford medical care regardless of it they have insurance or if they don't have insurance -I saw this first hand with a friend who didn't have insurance because he was unemployed. He wound up paying nothing for the surgery and also for the care he has to have for the rest of his life.  The Hospital billing department was awesome and sorted things out for him immediately - a good thing, too because a few months later his wife needed an emergency appendectomy and they helped her, too.  If your heart procedure costs more than 15% of your family's yearly income (and I would expect that any heart surgery would cost more than 15% of your income), usually, you can get financial assistance where you pay little to nothing. There are also grants and foundations that can help.  Don't give up! https://pocketsense.com/financial-help-for-people-with-heart-problems-12253804.html

15 hours ago, Ontario cruise duo said:

Hi Kim,

Another thank you for writing this review.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading it as well as other reviews you have posted in the past.  That family of yours cracks me up!  Always an adventure.  We have a cruise booked leaving San Juan on December 1st doing the ABC islands on the Freedom of the Seas.  Have never been to Bonaire, but have been to the other two islands.  It was great seeing your pictures and now we know what to expect.  We also are planning on leaving here (well Detroit, MI) on your US Thanksgiving, however, airfares are currently crazy for that day.  So as of right now no flights booked.   We have an Air BNB booked for 3 nights pre-cruise, staying near the Marriott Stellars Casino (actually our studio apt. overlooks the ocean with a glimpse of that Marriott) in view.  We have cruised previously out of San Juan and stayed at the Marriott, but prices for Thanksgiving are just crazy.  

Wishing you all the best with your health issues and saying some words to the "man upstairs" on your behalf.   Stay positive, get second opinions and never give up!  That family of yours I'm sure is doing their part to keep you smiling, laughing and going strong.

We did an Alaskan cruise five years ago to celebrate my DH's retirement.  It was absolutely stunning.  If you get a chance, do it.

We did a return cruise via Seattle (with a few days before in Seattle and a day after) and absolutely loved it.  As a matter of fact, we were on the ship 5 years ago today!!  Great memories.

You are welcome and glad you enjoy the reviews. My family is a hoot for sure and there's always something that comes up. LOL

Bonaire is definitely a place I want to visit but there seems to be limited ships going there. :(

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

I have definitely thought about the Alaskan cruise but we just hate the cold and if my daughter (and even myself) didn't get to snorkel...it just might be tragic for us. LOL

2 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Kim,

My dog is doing so much better. She is patting her feet enthusiastically and seems really happy and is more active than she has been in months. So I think most of the dental pain is gone.  Definitely the infection has cleared up. 

Have you talked to the personnel in the Billing department at the hospital?  Hospital billing departments have all kinds of ways to help patients afford medical care regardless of it they have insurance or if they don't have insurance -I saw this first hand with a friend who didn't have insurance because he was unemployed. He wound up paying nothing for the surgery and also for the care he has to have for the rest of his life.  The Hospital billing department was awesome and sorted things out for him immediately - a good thing, too because a few months later his wife needed an emergency appendectomy and they helped her, too.  If your heart procedure costs more than 15% of your family's yearly income (and I would expect that any heart surgery would cost more than 15% of your income), usually, you can get financial assistance where you pay little to nothing. There are also grants and foundations that can help.  Don't give up! https://pocketsense.com/financial-help-for-people-with-heart-problems-12253804.html

I have not talked to billing yet. I used to work in billing for the hospital years ago, so know how they work. They do go by income and I'm over qualified for everything anywhere...and that's the problem. :(  Short of quitting my job, getting rid of our company and losing everything...that's my only alternative at this point. I will check into the grants and foundations. It just sucks that I dedicate my life to the hospital and helping others get well and when I need it, there's no help to be found. :(  Not to mention the hospital I worked at for over 30 years...has been in the news a lot lately and now...who knows what will happen with them (it's national news at this point).