Cruise Critic Community
CharleMarg

Reflections from Crystal Symphony: Alaskan Grandeur, August 10-20, 2019

I've been reading and thoroughly enjoying the notebook!!!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip.

Nancy

August 18 - Cruising Queen Charlotte Sound

Sunday, 18 August 2019

5:30 PM

I've just finished doing two loads of laundry (it's 5:30PM as I begin composingthis update), and now Margaret is in the laundrette, ironing a few items of clothing, which will cover us until we depart LAX on Friday evening, and arrive home in Brisbane early on Sunday morning.

Today is the last sea day of our cruise, and it's been a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable day for Margaret & me (even though both of us were awake before 5:00AM, and couldn't get back to sleep).

Being a sea day, there were numerous activities and enrichment options available, as you can see by reading the Reflections daily newsletter for today:

<<Reflections 190818.pdf>>

As much as I wanted to hear Governor Tom Ridge speak again, I decided to go to the gym instead, because (due to a shoulder injury) I hadn’t lifted weights in over six weeks, and I felt like I needed a workout…BADLY.  Crystal provides TechnoGym equipment onboard, which is the same brand (though different types of weight machines) as Margaret & I train on at the gym we go close to our home in Bulimba (Brisbane) Queensland Australia.

The ocean was the roughest it has been during the cruise (to be expected, as we're no longer cruising the Inside Passage), though was very far from being the worst we've ever experienced during a cruise.  However, Margaret was feeling a little seasick, so we went to the reception desk on Deck 5, where Margaret got some medication (which Crystal provides at no charge).  Thankfully, within an hour, Margaret was feeling much better (thankfully, I've never suffered seasickness).

Today was "Stateroom Open House" day, where Crystal has a few selected staterooms and suites open for inspection (a great marketing and "upsell" initiative!!), so Margaret & I went and viewed all of them. 

During our first four cruises on Crystal (two on Serenity, and two on Symphony), we had a Verandah stateroom, but on out last three cruises (including this one), we have chosen to book a Deluxe Stateroom with Large Picture Window, limited view (E1).  This works for us, as we are only rarely in our stateroom during the day, and when we had a Verandah, we didn't take advantage of it all that often.

Lunch was with our friend Penny (who has well and truly been "Crystallized"), and we are having dinner with Penny in Umi Um this evening.

In relation to Penny having been Crystallized, this occurred early on the first day of the cruise, and if anything, Penny is now (exactly like Margaret & me) more than just a satisfied passenger, but a "raving fan" of Crystal Cruises. 

Example:  On the second or third day of the cruise, Penny said to me over the phone from her stateroom "I've been trying to find something to criticise or complain about, and I finally did; they don’t provide shower caps".  When I repeated this to Margaret, she took me by the arm, led me into the bathroom, and pointed to the two boxes od shower caps next to the soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc., in the rack on the wall above the toilet.  I then let Penny know this, and she replied "faultless thus far".

Margaret & I like being part of the "Crystal Family", and we both agree that  we feel extremely appreciative, fortunate, and thankful that we are able to experience and enjoy a Crystal cruise every eighteen months or so, and we are already very much looking forward to boarding Crystal Symphony in Athens on September 20, 2020 for a twenty one day cruise (consisting of three separate seven day cruises) from Athens to Barcelona:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/athens-to-barcelona-ocs200920-21#overview

It's a Wonderful World!!

Thank you for the interesting One Note blog.  I have been enjoying vicariously sailing with you.

Karen

I made a note of your special cocktail in Sitka - along with some interesting variations.  Perhaps I can get a Crystal bartender to make one for me next time I am onboard.  😀

We were just in Sitka a few weeks ago, and it seems like such a long time to wait until our next voyage.

Enjoy your remaining days on the Symphony!

i've been reading it on here as I can't access One Note for some reason, but all it's doing is making me miss Crystal and I don't board (Serenity) until Nov 5th. Our Alaska cruise from a few weeks ago was way too short at only 7 days. 

Edited by AtA

Hi Charles,

I'm following your notes with great interest as we will be sailing on Symphony 9/3 ( Vancouver~Vancouver).

I would love to hear any comments by you, or other passengers regarding some offered excursions. We have not pre-reserved any at this time.

We will have a couple of days in Vancouver...any suggestions in addition to Granville Island?

Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts. Reading them has certainly increased my anticipation about our upcoming trip.

We returned from our Alaska cruise last month and spent two days in Vancouver after getting off the ship.  Whistler is beautiful and well worth the trip.  Also the Capilano Suspension Bridge is well worth seeing.  Vancouver is a beautiful city and if you can get a private guide to take you around, you won't regret it.

I've actually been reading this thread more than going to the blog but I have visited the blog several times.

Roy

Charles, thoroughly enjoying your thread here and the posts on One Note. Thanks for taking the time whilst on vacation to write such detailed reports with wonderful pictures! Enjoy your remaining time on board and safe travels home.

Charles, I have been reading the One Note as well as here.  Thanks for all the work you put in reporting on your cruise and sharing the pictures!

~Nancy

I have been sailing with you on this great voyage. I have been busy enjoying that I forgot to check in here on cruisecritic. I just read and caught up with this blog -something to do while at the club lounge at YVR. 

I found very interesting that we boarded at the same time on embarkation day and also enjoyed a glass of bubbly at the bistro, but never got to meet you. Next time I’ll pay more attention to blogs. 

Have a safe trip home.