Cruise Critic Community
coffeeboy77

Carnival Alaska disappointing in 2020

It looked in 2019 like Carnival had been working hard to improve on their Alaska offerings.  However, they have pretty much regressed back to their usual worst in industry class itineraries for 2020.  Here are some of the the disappointments...

- No more Glacier Bay on any itinerary. This is a major cutback.

- Old ships. NCL uses the Bliss and Joy for example.

- Mostly Tuesday to Tuesday on 7 day itineraries...another cost saving measure.

- No more Journeys cruises in Alaska, unlike previous years.

Unfortunate considering the cost and commitment of booking an Alaska cruise.

11 minutes ago, coffeeboy77 said:

It looked in 2019 like Carnival had been working hard to improve on their Alaska offerings.  However, they have pretty much regressed back to their usual worst in industry class itineraries for 2020.  Here are some of the the disappointments...

One of the positives I found in going to Alaska in 2018 was the affordability, especially as it got closer to the cruise date- The  Bliss was new & the smaller ships were a steal- first time I could afford to go.

I’m looking to capitalize again this year with the Bliss and Joy being in Alaska

Princess and HAL often have last minute deals to Alaska that seem like a much better value than Carnival.  Ironic since in many other areas Carnival is the lowest price option.

Many have said Carnival only does this round trip run due to demand of loyalty club members who want to see Alaska but only on the whale tail.  The parent corporation owns Princess and Holland America so they really have the market under control either way.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, coffeeboy77 said:

Unfortunate considering the cost and commitment of booking an Alaska 

Edited by gtouch
Missed the date.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Princess and HAL often have last minute deals to Alaska that seem like a much better value than Carnival.  Ironic since in many other areas Carnival is the lowest price option.

Many have said Carnival only does this round trip run due to demand of loyalty club members who want to see Alaska but only on the whale tail.  The parent corporation owns Princess and Holland America so they really have the market under control either way.

Yes, I agree.  I thought they were looking up with the 2019 improvements, but I guess it was just a ‘one off’ this year.  Carnival Corp may have Alaska under their control right now, but I can see NCL and Royal are improving, especially NCL with the new ships.  Really hard to recommend carnival in 2020 for Alaska.

So, if Alaska is on your bucket list, can I play devil’s advocate and suggest, at least for one time, to try another cruise line (yikes!)  

Eventhough Carnival is a favorite of mine, I have no qualms in trying Princess, HA or NCL and have. 

As I live in Seattle, I do check last minute deals on all lines & have found that NCL, if they have cabins available, offers the best deal.

Will the higher-ups at Carnival care if I go on the new NCL Joy for a 7-day Alaska cruise from Seattle on May 11th for $449 + fees. I think not & I booked this today.

I have a “Cruise Next” certificate of $250 which I’ve applied & get $25 OBC for booking through the big box store. 

You’re right- Carnival will have incentive in  Alaska when it affects THEIR bottom dollar, not mine.

51 minutes ago, lyannea said:

So, if Alaska is on your bucket list, can I play devil’s advocate and suggest, at least for one time, to try another cruise line (yikes!)  

Eventhough Carnival is a favorite of mine, I have no qualms in trying Princess, HA or NCL and have. 

As I live in Seattle, I do check last minute deals on all lines & have found that NCL, if they have cabins available, offers the best deal.

Will the higher-ups at Carnival care if I go on the new NCL Joy for a 7-day Alaska cruise from Seattle on May 11th for $449 + fees. I think not & I booked this today.

I have a “Cruise Next” certificate of $250 which I’ve applied & get $25 OBC for booking through the big box store. 

You’re right- Carnival will have incentive in  Alaska when it affects THEIR bottom dollar, not mine.

Sounds like a great option!  I would do the same; if we do hit Alaska it's not likely we'll use Carnival.  We are not loyal to any brand and the bottom line is always a factor.  Enjoy your wonderful journey on the Joy! I wish I lived at a port so we could do last minute deals without the logistics of getting there.

I don't like NCL but we tried Princess for the Panama Canal and loved it!

They do Alaska well with some land tours you can add on to the cruise too!

We are platinum on Carnival but will be using Princess for some of our next cruises.

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Sounds like a great option!  I would do the same; if we do hit Alaska it's not likely we'll use Carnival.  We are not loyal to any brand and the bottom line is always a factor.  Enjoy your wonderful journey on the Joy! I wish I lived at a port so we could do last minute deals without the logistics of getting there.

I agree.

I tried last minute deals to Alaska last year for the first time & found that the prices couldn’t be beat ( I booked on a Thursday after work & left on that Sunday)

The downside was having to make quick decisions on what to do while in port & not having the luxury & time to research thoroughly. 

I did find great museums,  authors & musicians in coffee shops & spent time talking to locals & seasonal workers in port and now 

I’ve got it covered this year !

7 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't like NCL but we tried Princess for the Panama Canal and loved it!

They do Alaska well with some land tours you can add on to the cruise too!

We are platinum on Carnival but will be using Princess for some of our next cruises.

I love Princess also and,

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Holland America !

My sister told me that it was probably because I was older that I felt more comfortable, ‘smirk !

I found a Starbucks, btw, in Skagway, in a hotel lobby, that was owned by HA. It was a great place for WIFI and a coffee.

23 hours ago, coffeeboy77 said:

Skipping Glacier Bay is hardly a cutback. Cruise lines bid on Alaska routes and Carnival Corp has plenty of representation. The bids are for 10 year deals, so don't expect Carnival Cruise Line to go back to Glacier Bay after this year for at least a decade.

Carnival has always done midweek cruises in Alaska.

I only recall 2 Carnival Journey cruises to Alaska with a 3rd coming up this year. Hardly a tradition.

Old ships? Who cares? Alaska is the destination, not the ship. For years, Carnival has sent Spirit class ships.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 7:43 PM, coffeeboy77 said:

No more Glacier Bay on any itinerary. This is a major cutback.

Um, this is not a cutback. Only so many spots for Glacier Bay are awarded for each year, and unfortunately, Carnival didn’t receive any for the year in question. Seniority has something to do with it. Meaning, the cruise lines that have been sailing in Alaska the longest are given priority.

Edited by bakersdozen12

On 5/4/2019 at 7:43 PM, coffeeboy77 said:

Why is this a cost cutting measure?

Does the Seattle Port Authority and longshoreman's union offer a discount to arriving/departing ships on Tuesdays?

I wish they had gotten a few sailings to glacier bay, it used to be the beginning of the season and the end.  I also won't sail Alaska without it including the inside passage.

Princess is 100% the way to go.

Here's what all you folks need to appreciate.  CCL is a huge corporation segmented into several different lines intended to serve a variety of purposes.  Take Carnival for example.  It's essentially designed to be that week long vacation from work taken by a wide swath of the cruising public at a family friendly price.  Ever notice how essentially all their 7 cruises leave on Saturday or Sunday and that extended Journey cruises and European trips are the exception rather than the rule?  Now go look at what Princess (or HAL for that matter) does.  Far fewer 7 dayers overall.  More and more varied extended cruises often combined with cruise tours for those that have greater time and flexibility.  Princess and HAL OWN the Alaska market.  Understand that and you'll understand CCL's approach.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, coffeeboy77 said:

They already do 7 day itineraries from Tuesday to Tuesday  (we just did an Alaskan cruise last year on Carnival)

We did our cruise on the Carnival Legend, which is one of their older ships, that has been there for at least a few years now.

The Journeys cruises are not guaranteed each year as to where they are from.  It varys from year to year.

The Glacier Bay..that would be disappointing, what are they replacing that with?

Our first cruise ever was on Princess to Alaska and it was absolutely perfect. We have been doing Carnival ever since but all the itineraries we've chosen have been Carribean. 

I agree with the other posters that Princess is the way to go for Alaska!

Posted (edited)

My coworkers did not like Princess in Alaska, they said it was a constant sales pitch.  Others have the same opinion?

Edited by JaniceB

3 hours ago, JaniceB said:

My coworkers did not like Princess in Alaska, they said it was a constant sales pitch.  Others have the same opinion?

I don't recall it being any different than Carnival.  Sure, they put out the retail stuff on 'bargain' day.  Here's what you will find.  Main theater shows skewed somewhat older.  Great naturalist onboard with numerous lectures.  A smidgen dressier at dinner but not much, and especially because of Alaska. An older clientele with fewer children comparatively.  We went in late May/early June.  Great trip.  Would absolutely do again.

Let me add one quick thing.  We discussed our view of Princess v. Carnival for an exactly comparable cruise.  For our purposes, we considered a 15 day Hawaii run.  We decided that Carnival would have more of an upbeat vibe somewhat necessary for us on 5 consecutive sea days each way.  That would be a fairly long, somewhat quiet ride on Princess although we'd certainly still enjoy ourselves. 

For the uniformed, the following Carnival brands will have Glacier Bay itineraries:

Princess, Holland America, Cunard, and Seabourn. That is 4 of the 7 cruise lines that will offer. The contract runs for 10 years, so don't expect Carnival to offer after this year for a while. It has nothing to do with cutbacks.

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/news/glacier-bay-issues-new-contracts-for-cruise-ship-services.htm

I really enjoyed the Butchard Gardens in Victoria BS.  All the itineraries now go from 7:30 to 11:30.  Really???  Why bother?

12 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I really enjoyed the Butchard Gardens in Victoria BS.  All the itineraries now go from 7:30 to 11:30.  Really???  Why bother?

it is a requirement due to various laws that require ships to stop a foreign port of call  

5 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it is a requirement due to various laws that require ships to stop a foreign port of call  

I'm curious as to how many people get off the ship in Victoria with such a short port time.  I wish carnival would rearrange the itinerary to allow more time in this port.

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Skipping Glacier Bay is hardly a cutback. Cruise lines bid on Alaska routes and Carnival Corp has plenty of representation. The bids are for 10 year deals, so don't expect Carnival Cruise Line to go back to Glacier Bay after this year for at least a decade.

Carnival has always done midweek cruises in Alaska.

I only recall 2 Carnival Journey cruises to Alaska with a 3rd coming up this year. Hardly a tradition.

Old ships? Who cares? Alaska is the destination, not the ship. For years, Carnival has sent Spirit class ships.

We did the first two journeys cruises and loved them. Looking for awhile for another. Could you give me the ship and date of this 3rd one?

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

We did the first two journeys cruises and loved them. Looking for awhile for another. Could you give me the ship and date of this 3rd one?

Apparently a faulty memory bank. Looks like 3 10/11 day Alaska cruises from San Francisco next year.