Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Charles4515

Bus Schedule May 2019 PDF

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

Thanks for posting.  Going in June.   Do you think the schedule will be the same?

 

 

Yes, it will be the same. They changed the schedule a few months ago to account for their bus shortage, they were down to 50 buses which resulted in a large number of cancelled runs.  However that new schedule failed, it didn’t work, not enough rest time for the drivers etc., so they have reverted to the old schedule. Because the bus union has to agree to any changes, which is a difficult proposition in Bermuda, they are pretty much stuck for now with this schedule. There was an update today on the bus situation, they are up to 65 buses from 50 which could mean fewer canceled runs. If you want to wade thru it there was an article today about the bus count I have linked to below. 

 

http://bernews.com/2019/05/average-in-service-bus-count-up-from-50-to-65/

 

 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles, if I go to the Dockyard Visitor's Center and buy either a day pass or a book of tickets (still not sure yet which I will buy) can I pick up the bus schedule there?  I would prefer to have a nicely printed bus schedule versus the sub-par printing that happens on my own printer!  Weeks ago I printed a Bermuda map at home and I like all the details on the map, but I almost need a magnifying glass to read some of the small print.  OLD age issues!  I am hoping to get a bus schedule at the Visitor Center, but if they aren't readily available than I can always print a copy.  I appreciate your input on so many of our CC posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KShuman said:

Charles, if I go to the Dockyard Visitor's Center and buy either a day pass or a book of tickets (still not sure yet which I will buy) can I pick up the bus schedule there?  I would prefer to have a nicely printed bus schedule versus the sub-par printing that happens on my own printer!  Weeks ago I printed a Bermuda map at home and I like all the details on the map, but I almost need a magnifying glass to read some of the small print.  OLD age issues!  I am hoping to get a bus schedule at the Visitor Center, but if they aren't readily available than I can always print a copy.  I appreciate your input on so many of our CC posts.

There are bus and ferry schedules available just off the ship.  Can't remember off the top of my head where I saw them, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bjtravelnews said:

There are bus and ferry schedules available just off the ship.  Can't remember off the top of my head where I saw them, though.

 

 

In the past they had the bus schedule, ferry schedule, the fold out pocket maps and other brochures available in the terminal building on the dock that all go thru getting off and on the ship. That may be where you saw them. They would also have them at any of the Visitor Information Centers, Dockyard, Hamilton, St. George’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KShuman said:

Charles, if I go to the Dockyard Visitor's Center and buy either a day pass or a book of tickets (still not sure yet which I will buy) 

 

Unless they have changed it this year, I have not seen any 2019 report backs on that yet, what they have at the Dockyard to buy are tokens and one day or two day transportation passes. They have not been selling the ticket booklets at the Dockyard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ticket books are only available at the Hamilton ferry and bus terminals or some post offices.  We usually take the ferry to Hamilton on the first day and buy the number of books we need for the rest of the stay. We could never ride the bus or ferry enough to pay for a  2 or 3 day pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but here goes a bunch of questions.  How are the fares paid for the bus and ferry?  Tokens?  Coin?  I heard that paper currency is not accepted.  Say, I'd like to go from the dockyard via ferry to St. George then bus to Hamilton with a stop at Spittal pond along the way,  Should I just buy a day pass or a handful of tokens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

Sorry, but here goes a bunch of questions.  How are the fares paid for the bus and ferry?  Tokens?  Coin?  I heard that paper currency is not accepted.  Say, I'd like to go from the dockyard via ferry to St. George then bus to Hamilton with a stop at Spittal pond along the way,  Should I just buy a day pass or a handful of tokens. 

 

On the public buses they don't take paper currency. if you don't buy tokens or a pass you have to pay with exact change in coins. They will take currency on the ferry. I always buy the tokens or a pass depending on my plans.  They sell tokens and passes at the Visiter Information Centers. Tokens or passes are less expensive than paying cash. If you do Dockyard to  St. George's to Hamiltion then ferry back to Dockyard  with a stop at Spittal Pond then tokens would be the least expensive option.  A pass may be more convienient even with the extra cost. If you are planning to make more stops than Spittal Pond  or think you might make more stops than Spittal,  then you would probably want a  pass. Being in that area you might consider making stops at John Smith's Bay, or the Swizzle Inn,  Caves. Or Blue Hole.

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

On the public buses they don't take paper currency. if you don't buy tokens or a pass you have to pay with exact change in coins. They will take currency on the ferry. I always buy the tokens or a pass depending on my plans.  They sell tokens and passes at the Visiter Information Centers. Tokens or passes are less expensive than paying cash. If you do Dockyard to  St. George's to Hamiltion then ferry back to Dockyard  with a stop at Spittal Pond then tokens would be the least expensive option.  A pass may be more convienient even with the extra cost. If you are planning to make more stops than Spittal Pond  or think you might make more stops than Spittal,  then you would probably want a  pass. Being in that area you might consider making stops at John Smith's Bay, or the Swizzle Inn,  Caves. Or Blue Hole.

Thank you for your response.  Then a token is adequate for more than one "zone"?  If so, it looks like buying a bunch of tokens may be the way to go.  And the same token is good for both a ferry and bus?  Do they accept credit cards at the Visitor info center?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are tokens good for 3 zones and tokens for more than 3 zones called 14 zone tokens because there are 14 zones. A ferry trip on the Blue or Orange Route requires one 14 zone ticket for each ferry trip. So for your itinerary I figure, hope I did it right, you need three 14 zone tokens, two for the ferry trips and one for the bus from St. George’s to Spittal Pond plus one 3 zone token for Spittal Pond to Hamilton.  So three tokens at $4.50 each one token at $2.75. Total cost $16.25 for the four tokens you would need. When I buy tokens at the VIC or bus terminal I tell them my itinerary and let them figure out which tokens I need and they tell me the correct info as figuring it out from the map like I just did is confusing. I hope I did it right....so when you go the VIC tell them your itinerary  be sure. I don’t know if they are taking credit cards at the Visitor Information Center this season. In the past they were  then they were not, then they were.....also when they were the last time I asked they were adding no an extra charge for using a credit card so I paid with cash. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Charles for the link to the latest bus schedule.

 

We've cruised to Bermuda many times but have never visited Clearwater Beach.

Since we'll be in St. George's on 08/21 (Weekday) we'd like to bus there for a day trip.

The earliest #6 that says "Via Clearwater" is 9:45am but that's a little late for us.

Which of the earlier #6 routes are suitable, "mr" or "ss" or both?

We're avid walkers and don't mind walking even a mile or more if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

 

On the public buses they don't take paper currency. if you don't buy tokens or a pass you have to pay with exact change in coins. They will take currency on the ferry. I always buy the tokens or a pass depending on my plans.  They sell tokens and passes at the Visiter Information Centers. Tokens or passes are less expensive than paying cash. If you do Dockyard to  St. George's to Hamiltion then ferry back to Dockyard  with a stop at Spittal Pond then tokens would be the least expensive option.  A pass may be more convienient even with the extra cost. If you are planning to make more stops than Spittal Pond  or think you might make more stops than Spittal,  then you would probably want a  pass. Being in that area you might consider making stops at John Smith's Bay, or the Swizzle Inn,  Caves. Or Blue Hole.

 

I picked up the public bus by the caves and showed the driver a $5 bill, he said put it in the lock box and I was good to go.

Edited by outbackpaul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

 

I picked up the public bus by the caves and showed the driver a $5 bill, he said put it in the lock box and I was good to go.

 

Some drivers will overlook the rule but you can’t count on that. If you watch the YouTube video that was posted yesterday on another thread the fellow who made it reported the driver would not accept currency. 

 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

Some drivers will overlook the rule but you can’t count on that. If you watch the YouTube video that was posted yesterday on another thread the fellow who made it reported the driver would not accept currency. 

 

I guess I got lucky.  This was on 5/1/2019 when I rode the bus.  I only took one trip on the bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ohcsim123 said:

Thank you Charles for the link to the latest bus schedule.

 

We've cruised to Bermuda many times but have never visited Clearwater Beach.

Since we'll be in St. George's on 08/21 (Weekday) we'd like to bus there for a day trip.

The earliest #6 that says "Via Clearwater" is 9:45am but that's a little late for us.

Which of the earlier #6 routes are suitable, "mr" or "ss" or both?

We're avid walkers and don't mind walking even a mile or more if necessary.

 

MR is St. David’s road.  SS is Southside Road. They are not that far apart. Southside Road would be closer but not that much closer.  So if you are going to walk from the bus stop it probably does not make much difference.  I never took the bus there. Years ago there was a van from the town square which unfortunately was discontinued.  So I am not sure how far the bus stop is from either of those roads. 

 

I amalso on Insignia. If we decide to go to Clearwater we will probably try to find some other way to get there than the #6. 

 

 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles, Thank you for the bus schedule.  I need your opinion and apologize if this has been answered before.  We want to go to Horseshoe Bay, Botanical Gardens and Spittal Pond ( possibly Gibb's lighthouse or Swizzle Inn). Do you think we should buy a daily pass or the tokens.  We were in Bermuda 7 years ago and docked at Hamilton and used the daily pass which was great.  Now we will be at the dockyard.  Also is the price of a ferry included in the pass or is it just bus?  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jimbri said:

Charles, Thank you for the bus schedule.  I need your opinion and apologize if this has been answered before.  We want to go to Horseshoe Bay, Botanical Gardens and Spittal Pond ( possibly Gibb's lighthouse or Swizzle Inn). Do you think we should buy a daily pass or the tokens.  We were in Bermuda 7 years ago and docked at Hamilton and used the daily pass which was great.  Now we will be at the dockyard.  Also is the price of a ferry included in the pass or is it just bus?  Thank you.

 

The transportation passes are good on both the public buses and ferries. Whether you should get the pass or tokens is a math problem that depends on how many of those places you would do each day. How many days are you in Bermuda and what were you thinking of doing each day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

The transportation passes are good on both the public buses and ferries. Whether you should get the pass or tokens is a math problem that depends on how many of those places you would do each day. How many days are you in Bermuda and what were you thinking of doing each day?

We would only be getting the pass for one day. The second day ( departure at 3:00) we will just do things around the dockyard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimbri said:

We would only be getting the pass for one day. The second day ( departure at 3:00) we will just do things around the dockyard.  

 

If you are going to do, or try to do, all the places you mentioned in one day then you should get the pass. Instead of Horseshoe you might want to do John Smith's Bay which is close to Spittal Pond. There are no chair rentals there, only ports potties but it is a pretty nice South Shore beach. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 7:38 AM, Charles4515 said:

Thanks for posting the bus schedule. I have a shore excursion in Somerset at 10 on the day of arrival in Bermuda on the Summit.  I was going to take a cab, but I'm wondering if I would have time to buy a bus pass at the dock and then catch a bus to Somerset.  Having the bus pass would take care of my transportation the rest of the day.  If I take the bus, it's a 10 minute walk to the shore excursion dock. What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ymncruise said:

Thanks for posting the bus schedule. I have a shore excursion in Somerset at 10 on the day of arrival in Bermuda on the Summit.  I was going to take a cab, but I'm wondering if I would have time to buy a bus pass at the dock and then catch a bus to Somerset.  Having the bus pass would take care of my transportation the rest of the day.  If I take the bus, it's a 10 minute walk to the shore excursion dock. What do you think?

 

You would have time. The kiosk to buy the transportation pass is in the area off the ships between the two piers.  The bus stop at the Dockyard is at the Clocktower Mall.  I read you doing Hat Trick Charters. You can take either bus route, #7 or #8. Tell the driver you are going to Mangrove Public Wharf and ask him to tell you when you get to the bus stop near there . 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...