Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Go2See

Questions & Extra costs on Svalbard expeditions such as Fram or Spitzenberg

Recommended Posts

I hope someone will have some info or thoughts on these questions:

Are there extra costs for any of the excursions off the ships?  (Cruises, special landings)

Beverage costs  Espresso, wine, mixed drinks?

If you have been on Quark or G Adventures expeditions, do you think you get "as close" to the wildlife etc?

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Go2See said:

I hope someone will have some info or thoughts on these questions:

Are there extra costs for any of the excursions off the ships?  (Cruises, special landings)

Beverage costs  Espresso, wine, mixed drinks?

If you have been on Quark or G Adventures expeditions, do you think you get "as close" to the wildlife etc?

 

My only experience on cruising in Svalbard is aboard Nordstjernen on a short three day cruise, but I am pretty sure things are mostly similar aboard the bigger Hurtigruten ships sailing in the region.

First, there should be no obligatory extra cost on any landings, after all most places where the ships stop are in middle of wilderness. If the cruise stops at Barentsburg (the active Russian mining town) or Ny Ålesund (a former mining town that now functions as a research base), there will be opportunity to visit the local shop or bar, but of course you don't necessarily need to buy anything if you don't want to.

I was content with the basic beverage offerings (water, tea (or coffee) and juices on breakfast), so I'm afraid I cannot quote any prices (and this was already couple years ago), but since in Svalbard there is no VAT, alcohol prices are cheaper than on the mainland Norway.

I don't think any cruise with dozens of passangers will get you very close to Arctic wildlife. Some birds, especially fulmars following ships, may fly past near you, but generally most animal sightings will be from a safe distance. The dedicated photo expeditions may offer chances to get closer to the wildlife, but then we are talking about operating in a small group from a smaller ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting this year, Hurtigruten has begun to include more into their expedition packages. Besides full boards and afternoon snack, there's always water, tea and coffee included as well as all kinds of beverages ( including wine, beer) at meals. I think they might charge you for beverages drunk in the bar in the evenings, though.

The coastal voyages in Norway only include water, tea and coffee if you chose the Full board "Select" package.

Most landings on expedition voyages using the zodiacs seem to be included. They will charge you for special excursions like kayaking or photo trips etc. or for tours of independent operators.We're booked on a Greenland expedition on HR next year and for example a special boat tour into Disko Bay or bus tours through the villages are extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Starting this year, Hurtigruten has begun to include more into their expedition packages. Besides full boards and afternoon snack, there's always water, tea and coffee included as well as all kinds of beverages ( including wine, beer) at meals. I think they might charge you for beverages drunk in the bar in the evenings, though.

The coastal voyages in Norway only include water, tea and coffee if you chose the Full board "Select" package.

Most landings on expedition voyages using the zodiacs seem to be included. They will charge you for special excursions like kayaking or photo trips etc. or for tours of independent operators.We're booked on a Greenland expedition on HR next year and for example a special boat tour into Disko Bay or bus tours through the villages are extra.

 

What cruise is that with a special tour into Disko Bay?


Thanks!
 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

What cruise is that with a special tour into Disko Bay?


Thanks!
 

GC

We're booked on the Fridtjof Nansen which is the second new hybrid ship for a cruise to Greenland out of Reykjavik in 2020 going as far up as into Disko Bay, and as far as I remember one of the excursions ( to be paid for) was for a special boat trip by an independent provider . If you look at Hurtigruten's website for the Greenland cruises of that ship between July and August 2020 you'll find more information about the route, the inclusions and extras.

We're very much looking forward to this voyage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grayjay said:

We're booked on the Fridtjof Nansen which is the second new hybrid ship for a cruise to Greenland out of Reykjavik in 2020 going as far up as into Disko Bay, and as far as I remember one of the excursions ( to be paid for) was for a special boat trip by an independent provider . If you look at Hurtigruten's website for the Greenland cruises of that ship between July and August 2020 you'll find more information about the route, the inclusions and extras.

We're very much looking forward to this voyage!

 

Thanks very much!

This has been on our "high interest" list for a while now (well, since we learned about Disko Bay :classic_smile:).

 

GC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked that early because we wanted one of the affordable cabins with the bigger balconies  and we were given 1000 Euros of OnboardCredit as well. It's a gamble, really, because this ship is still being built and its sister ship, the Roald Amundsen is a factor still quite unknown, leaving for her maiden voyage in June. So we don't know much. The only thing I have already learned is the fact that there's no real promenade deck except a jogging track on the highest deck and a small space at the bow, much less than on usual Hurtigruten ships.

Well, We'll see what to expect. But we booked that voyage because we want to see icebergs in Greenland when we are still able to climb into a zodiac boat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GREAT info!  Thank you so Much.   I am still waffling on which expedition line to use, but likely will use Hurtigruten.  I wish there were a teacher discount.... sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Go2See said:

GREAT info!  Thank you so Much.   I am still waffling on which expedition line to use, but likely will use Hurtigruten.  I wish there were a teacher discount.... sigh.

No, sorry, not even for retired teachers...😉

But if you book early enough the Early Bird's Onboard Booking Credit ( in our case 1000 Euros)  is quite useful. And as Hurtigruten's prices usually stay the same or creep up if the voyage is selling that's what we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...