Cruise Critic Community
Anyislandwilldo

Aft or balcony for Alaska

DH and I went to Alaska in 2017 and stayed in a balcony cabin.  Now dear sister wants to go and we are considering an aft balcony.  Have you ever done an aft for Alaska and did you like it or hate it?  Would I be better off staying in a balcony?

You might try posting on the Alaska board.  You'll get lots of opinions on that topic over there.

I had a balcony on our Alaskan cruise 10 years ago and it was wonderful.  We had booked an Aft balcony for our last cruise and loved it so now we are hooked on them.   I am doing an Aft balcony for Alaska next month, but not sure it will make all that much difference from a balcony perspective on the Alaskan cruise - when you are cruising the glaciers the captain will turn the ship around and you will get a great view from all the balconies!  It would just be personal preference.

Three out of our four Alaska cruises we've sailed on ocean view cabins.  We like being on deck with the crowds.

I would highly recommend an aft balcony for Alaska - we were upgraded the day before the cruise for less than $400 several years back.  It was the best decision - even though it was cold we spent more time on the balcony than we usually do while cruising the caribbean. we had two loungers on the balcony and would sit with blankets and hot chocolate watching the scenery. Simply breathtaking! No regrets! 

I would chose an aft so you can get the scenery from both sides.

We have been on an aft wrap balcony on Legend in the past and will be again this Summer in Alaska. I cannot imagine anything better for viewing unless (as someone above mentioned) you like to be a lot of other folks on the upper or outer decks.

23 hours ago, JaniceB said:

I would chose an aft so you can get the scenery from both sides.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

180 degree view and it doesn't get dark til so late there is always something to see!....it was our first aft assigned at the last minute and our family members were jealous....whole family switched to afts and continue years later.