Just back from Navigator of the Seas and A Perfect day at Coco Cay!

Just got off the newly refurbished NOS and really had a wonderful time! My husband and I are in our mid 50's and love to party on our weekends; this was the perfect ship to do so. The ship looks great: our balcony cabin was refreshed with new carpet, sofa, balcony furniture, etc. (bathroom is the same buy ok), specialty restaurants were added and the pool decks were newly designed. A perfect day at Coco Cay was just that, perfect! The past few times we were there we didn't even get off the ship but when we saw what we did from our balcony, we had to take a look. The kids will definitely have a blast with so many fun activities. We didn't partake in any of those but did enjoy a great day at the pool with swimout bar and non-stop music. It's a party for sure! The cocktails were great and the crowd was having a lot of fun. Lots of bachelorette parties and couples looking to have fun. The bbq was very nicely presented with a taco station added to it. We were treated to a wonderful fireworks display, in celebration of the grand opening, as our boat was about to leave. RCCL will need to recover the money they put into this place so you will pay for it, that's for sure!

We didn't get off the ship in Nassau but enjoyed a day at the pool instead. Many others had the same idea as there was a nice crowd. We bought a bottle of champagne and enjoyed it while watching Aquaman. We snacked at the new Mexican station at the pool which we enjoyed. There is also a Johnny Rockets express at the pool which is ala carte pricing. There are pool loungers in the water and little cabana like huts, they did a really nice job.

We bought the unlimited dining package so did not try the main dining room. We went to Jamie's Italian on embarkation day, it was the only one open and had a light lunch. They had booked us already for dinner there that night so we just went back. Dinner was very, very slow. Unfortunately, we found that to be true in all of the restaurants with Chops taking 2 1/2 hours!! I think the kitchens were understaffed. I don't really like the decor of Jamies and Hooked; they look like upscale fast food restaurants. Since this boat does a weekend out of Miami, you will get lots of kids and there were big families with multiple very young kids at Jamies; they were running around and it was not the nicest environment. Our reservations were at 8:30 but that didn't seem to stop families with young kids. We have lots of friends who are from South America and their culture is to eat pretty late at night. This seemed to be the case as there were many Brazilians aboard. Izumi was the nicest restaurant in terms of decor, a very sexy vibe. It felt like a nice Saturday night dinner out. We cooked our dinner on the hot rocks and really enjoyed it. The food in Chops was pretty good. I was surprised since the last time we went on Independence it wasn't good at all. And it was very slow! We sat at 8:00 and no one took our order until 8:30. The couple next to us got up and left. Luckily we didn't have any show plans so we were fine. I think they should have 2 restaurant where they don't allow young kids or at least limit them to earlier dining hours. Even at Chops there were kids running around. Also, if you have unlimited dining, make your reservations as soon as you get on the ship! It was not easy to get spots and nothing seemed to open up either.

Drinks on the boat are expensive, $15 with tax and tip. We didn't take the drink package this time but did notice that they offered buy one, get one 50% off. You had to buy it the first day though. We are Diamond members and did go to the lounge the first night. Dudley was very nice but the drinks are pretty pathetic. They are serving a $3 bottle of wine and champagne and I had never heard of the vodka brand. The coffee machine was great and we did make some nice cappuccinos.

We enjoyed the little sandwiches in the Royal Promenade; they seemed to improve the choices quite a bit. The shows and music were wonderful. The cruise director is Hugo. He's a little guy with a big personality and a bit hard to understand if you don't speak Spanish. I will post some pics and please let me know if I can answer any questions. It was a whirlwind weekend and we missed a lot of the ship; will have to go back!

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your review! My husband and I are boarding NOS next Monday for the 4 day sailing and we can’t wait. We purchased the unlimited dining program and after your review will make sure one of the first things we do is book the specialty restaurants. Did you happen to save your cruise compasses. If so, would you mind posting? It would be very helpful to see the different restaurant hours during port days to help us plan when we get on the ship. Also, with the unlimited dining plan did you take advantage of trying the food in Playmakers and Bamboo room? Look forward to your feedback!

1 minute ago, kristenb87 said:

Thank you so much for your review! My husband and I are boarding NOS next Monday for the 4 day sailing and we can’t wait. We purchased the unlimited dining program and after your review will make sure one of the first things we do is book the specialty restaurants. Did you happen to save your cruise compasses. If so, would you mind posting? It would be very helpful to see the different restaurant hours during port days to help us plan when we get on the ship. Also, with the unlimited dining plan did you take advantage of trying the food in Playmakers and Bamboo room? Look forward to your feedback!

I'm sorry I didn't save the compasses. Most of the shows we went to were at 10:15 and they have an earlier one too. Lots of late night activities as well. We set our dining between 8 and 8:30. Also, I'm not sure about dining in Playmakers and Bamboo room; I'm not sure if that is part of the program or not. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Also, one other thing to note was that there was not a formal night on the 3 night. I'm not sure if this will always be the case or not. The compass listed the evening attire as "casual, you are on vacation, just no bathing attire." We didn't mind even though my husband had brought a jacket. He just didn't wear it. We did notice a few people did dress up because I guess they had planned on it but it was a very casual cruise as far as dress went. Oh and I forgot to mention that the CEO was on for our sailing along with many other executives from RCI.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your thoughts, and pics. I will sail on her in June, and looking forward to it all. It will be hot in June, so I am sure I will be living at the Oasis Lagoon for the day. 🙂

7 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Awesome pictures!!  They really made the vision they had come true!!

How did the Cabanas in the Water park look to you?

Honestly, I didn't really notice the cabanas. Hopefully you will see some pics soon. They had tons of crew there filming.

Just now, ginak1112 said:

Also, one other thing to note was that there was not a formal night on the 3 night. I'm not sure if this will always be the case or not. The compass listed the evening attire as "casual, you are on vacation, just no bathing attire." We didn't mind even though my husband had brought a jacket. He just didn't wear it. We did notice a few people did dress up because I guess they had planned on it but it was a very casual cruise as far as dress went. Oh and I forgot to mention that the CEO was on for our sailing along with many other executives from RCI.

I wish they would let the formal nights go on the 4 night sailings as well. It is too hot to be in a suit, so I will eat at the Windjammer instead. I would much rather wear a pair of shorts to the dining room. 

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

I wish they would let the formal nights go on the 4 night sailings as well. It is too hot to be in a suit, so I will eat at the Windjammer instead. I would much rather wear a pair of shorts to the dining room. 

It will be very hot in June! I live in South Florida! There are no rules about dressing formally. We like to dress at night but not in formal attire, more like a Sat date night. My husband brings a jacket but no tie. You could wear black jeans or pants and shirt and be fine.

Thank you for the review and photos.  I'm sailing on her in June (my first B2B) with my son who is 16.  Perfect Day at CoCoCay looks great!    It says you have to be 18 to go alone so I bought us both passes to the water park for our first sailing.  I hope I can stay in one of the pools while he's on the slides.  

29 minutes ago, PghSunny said:

Thank you for the review and photos.  I'm sailing on her in June (my first B2B) with my son who is 16.  Perfect Day at CoCoCay looks great!    It says you have to be 18 to go alone so I bought us both passes to the water park for our first sailing.  I hope I can stay in one of the pools while he's on the slides.  

Wow, 18? That seems pretty crazy as I saw lifeguards everywhere. I hope that you can enjoy the pool too as it was a lot of fun!

36 minutes ago, bigque said:

Do they still have jet ski’s ?

Funny, I mentioned that to my husband. When my kids were young we used to take them on the jet skis and banana boat rides. We didn't notice them but it was the grand opening day so maybe not fully operational yet.

47 minutes ago, vickiw0318 said:

I have always liked going to Coco Cay because of being able to stroll down the beach to find a quiet place to sun and read.  Are there any quiet spots left or is it just a theme park now?

Yes, I believe there are. We saw the beach area set a ways back from all of the action. I'm sure you will find something.

Thx for the photos. We board her in 10 days! 

Did you happen to go by the spa/fitness center? I'm trying to find out if they still have the men and women locker rooms with showers? Thx.

8 hours ago, cynt said:

Did you happen to go by the spa/fitness center? I'm trying to find out if they still have the men and women locker rooms with showers? Thx.

I'm sorry, I didn't get by there. It was such a whirlwind weekend with not enough time to see much of the ship.

8 hours ago, cynt said:

6 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

do you know where the beach loungers for 2 on Coco Cay are located?

I didn't notice any but that would have been nice to share with my husband.

6 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

do you know where the beach loungers for 2 on Coco Cay are located?

Edited by ginak1112

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gamblin'gal said:

do you have to pay for a ticket to go to CocoCay?  Can we just walk around, get something to eat & use the ocean/beach? or is there some type of "general admission?" 

No general admission (at least as of today).  Royal has a way of changing these type of policies as time goes on, in order to enhance our experience.

So, what was no charge before "Perfect Day" is still no charge, for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

No general admission (at least as of today).  Royal has a way of changing these type of policies as time goes on, in order to enhance our experience.

So, what was no charge before "Perfect Day" is still no charge, for now.

Key words being “for now.”