need refresher input from CC's

ridon

War department and I are booked on Explorer 28 Jan 14 day Miami-Miami. We are gold Seven Seas types but have not cruised for over 5 years. Plus I've been accused of losing brain cells to bourbon. Ergo, need an update. I understand Miami port terminal J is under renovation. Will this be done by next Jan? No info on port website. If not at J, where? Parking? Is there still a block party? We are in F2-809 and even UN Bills excellent reviews have no mention of this cabin. Anyone been in it?  Last experience was 5 years ago on Navigator-my favorite ship until they eliminated the cigar lounge. Had a problem with room set-up. After 2d day of cruise leaving Quebec City I released my strangle hold on the asst HotelMgr and set up was made. He/she said I should always have my TA call in room preferences as it has more authority than waiting until aboard. Still true? 2 days without Wild Turkey is 2 days too long. Walking down hallways with a drink in my hand is probably why I never made general.That episode I can laugh about now, but it wasn't funny then. Any help/insight will be appreciated.  There is no roll call and it appears , although early, this cruise may not be fully booked. Any thoughts on an upgrade? I appreciate the collective wisdom you folks have.

• Like 1

Sorry but I find the questions a bit unusual.  Most (if not all) of us are not privy to what is going on in the port.  Assume that they will use another terminal and the parking will be the same but in a different place.  You will be informed when you received your final documents (or you can call when your cruise is closer).  In any case, we still find the Port of Miami to be worst that we have had to deal with since we began sailing on Regent in 2004.

Upsells (no upgrades) usually come out a couple of weeks prior to the cruise.

Not sure what you mean by "room preferences".  Do you mean your choice of beverages, etc.?  If so, it is available online for those in PH and above suites.  You can have your TA call Regent and it probably will show up.  Not sure that the TA has any more "authority" that you asking your Steward/Stewardess for what you need.  No one should have to wait 2 days for their beverage choices.  If it were not there by the time you return from dinner, contact the Housekeeping Manager.

Yes - they still have a block party but no longer have "Hotel Managers". Instead they have General Managers.  

We are not fans of the Navigator but Explorer is our favorite ship.  Bill only can post reviews of suites IF someone gives him the information for the review.  I did look up the deck plan and see that there is nothing significant above or below the suite you are booked in so it should be fine.  We like the F1/F2 suites.

BTW, there is a smoking lounge (the only place inside the ship where smoking is permitted).  There is also a glass enclosed area on the pool deck for smokers.  

Not surprised that there is not a Roll Call for your cruise since many Caribbean cruises have a lot of people new to Regent that may not know about CC.  

Edited by Travelcat2

17 hours ago, ridon said:

Had a problem with room set-up. After 2d day of cruise leaving Quebec City I released my strangle hold on the asst HotelMgr and set up was made. He/she said I should always have my TA call in room preferences as it has more authority than waiting until aboard.

Around six weeks before our recent cruise I sent an email to my TA requesting liquor, beer and soft drinks for our suite, as well as a bowl of mixed nuts. All was in the room when we arrived. 

I felt a little bit like the Sorcerer’s Apprentice as every day Room Service delivered another bowl of nuts even though I only ate a couple of handfuls per day. 

• Haha 1

I always give the room steward when we board our liquor requests and that afternoon/ early evening they materialize. As mentioned above, F1/F2 are great suites, very comfortable. Have traveled in them three times now. 

• Like 1

Was in 809 about 2 years ago.  Great suite except for the loudly whistling sliding door in certain weather conditions/points of sail.  The problem was in more than a few cabins and was supposed to have been fixed by the ship builder.

Was in 709 in Feb. and had a similar experience.  They tried 3 times to solve the gasket/door frame problem, but to no avail.  They once changed out the entire frame and gasket.  GM said 709 would be put on the drydock repair list with the 40 other cabins already noted by other guests.

The jerry rigged "fix" was to tape the door each of the 4 - 5 nights there was a problem.  Did not ask for nor was offered any kind of compensation.  Ship was full so there was no other suite to move to.

Ship's personnel were very familiar with the problem.  Hope Regent truly repaired 809.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Hope it's been rectified. Wife may consider that type of noise a better alternative than my snoring if my CPAP machine can't be set up.

1 hour ago, Saildude16 said:

Was in 809 about 2 years ago.  Great suite except for the loudly whistling sliding door in certain weather conditions/points of sail.  The problem was in more than a few cabins and was supposed to have been fixed by the ship builder.

Was in 709 in Feb. and had a similar experience.  They tried 3 times to solve the gasket/door frame problem, but to no avail.  They once changed out the entire frame and gasket.  GM said 709 would be put on the drydock repair list with the 40 other cabins already noted by other guests.

The jerry rigged "fix" was to tape the door each of the 4 - 5 nights there was a problem.  Did not ask for nor was offered any kind of compensation.  Ship was full so there was no other suite to move to.

Ship's personnel were very familiar with the problem.  Hope Regent truly repaired 809.

The whistling door issue has been on Explorer since she was launched in July, 2016.  They have tried many things to fix it.  I fully expect it to be fixed in October and will be onboard to check it out in November.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Travelcat2 said:

BTW, there is a smoking lounge (the only place inside the ship where smoking is permitted).  There is also a glass enclosed area on the pool deck for smokers.  

Not the only place inside to smoke. The questions was about the Explorer. There is still an inside Connoisseur Club on deck 11, forward, port side, near the Observation Lounge.

J (715/49) +4

3 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Not the only place inside to smoke. The questions was about the Explorer. There is still an inside Connoisseur Club on deck 11, forward, port side, near the Observation Lounge.

J (715/49) +4

Is this in additional to the glass enclosed area on the pool deck?

On 5/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, Travelcat2 said:

4 hours ago, JMARINER said:

J (715/49) +4

Both of you are talking about the same indoor smoking area. What TC2 calls the inside smoking lounge is officially called the Connoisseur Club.  It is the only indoor smoking area on the Explorer.  The only outdoor smoking venue on the Explorer is the glass enclosed area on the pool deck opposite the pool bar. 

Hope this helps. 

Dave

Make sure you do not have suites 1000 / 1002 ( Con: D  type) directly below this as you get the scraping of the heavy Chesterfield chairs in here and the staff putting them back around 12 midnight  , the other side 1001 /1003 are much quieter under the Library- little late night usage.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, UUNetBill said:

Gimme an "F"!  Gimme a "2"!  What's that spell?

The best bang-for-the-buck suite on any Regent ship, IMO.   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Bill,

BZ or thanks for being a guru. Another query, we have option to move to F2 906 port side from F2 809. Deck plan shows a void above it.Concerned about possible overhead noise. TA doesn't know. Got an inkling? 

1 hour ago, ridon said:

Bill,

BZ or thanks for being a guru. Another query, we have option to move to F2 906 port side from F2 809. Deck plan shows a void above it.Concerned about possible overhead noise. TA doesn't know. Got an inkling? 

The void area on deck 10 above 906 contains cabins for ship’s officers.  So overhead noise shouldn’t be a problem.

Dave

20 hours ago, DaveFr said:

The void area on deck 10 above 906 contains cabins for ship’s officers.  So overhead noise shouldn’t be a problem.

Dave

Thank heaven...I thought it was for the nightly meeting of OITA...Overweight Insomniac Tap-Dancers Anonymous.  They meet at 1:00 AM in 'The Void'.     :classic_laugh:  :classic_tongue:  :classic_biggrin: