Are "healthy" smoothies available on HAL?

edgee

Have only been on HAL once in last several years and cannot remember if made to order smoothies/vegetable/ fruit containing smoothies are available in the morning either in the Lido or Crows Nest? We are sailing on Zuiderdam next week and were wondering. Thanks!

Ed 

avOwaEcvlcZ4ooW8WlAvO6s4LIxPfLUljPTLKMl33VNvFdx5jg4zgtIXwjoUOSZcLbjiSDM_Sub8XfqqtMKiEypzQovVrCHAmRT37TftaKF6FsO2WRMKaSEpsxk-H7KCAee6pc1R

Such timing!   Thanks to @Crew News I took above screen shot from the menu he posted on over the weekend  http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

and pasted that into my Google Drive trip docs.

I'm sure the Holland America website has the same info but it's so easy to find on @Crew News website above.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 2

Banana and strawberry liquid in milk carton size containers to make smoothie.   Loads of sugar.   Not fresh fruit.  Some may like that taste.   I do not care for their smoothies.  At least that is what I got on Eurodam Feb 2019.   The menu posted above is misleading.

Peter

8 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

Banana and strawberry liquid in milk carton size containers to make smoothie.   Loads of sugar.   Not fresh fruit.  Some may like that taste.   I do not care for their smoothies.  At least that is what I got on Eurodam Feb 2019.   The menu posted above is misleading.

Peter

Agree - it's actually a syrupy sugar mix -if you are really into smoothies - suggest bringing a portable blender - (small enough to pack) collect fresh ingredients- blend.  🙂So much better than what they serve. 

Healthy Sails! 

Even natural fruits contain sugar and carbs.  I'm having difficulty considering any smoothie containing fruit to be very healthy.  Better than cakes and cookies, to be sure.  Although strawberries have a low carb count.

Darn. 

I was visualizing real smoothies like what I saw on a ? Celebrity ? youtube where the bartender used fresh fruit in a blender.   Thanks for the reality check @SFO PETER and @Seavoyage.

@Tampa Girl the additional problem with a processed "mix" from my perspective: 

I don't know what other crap chemicals were introduced into the mix.  At least if I see only bananas, strawberries, and yogurt being put into the blender, I know the extra chemicals are limited to what's in just those.  Not a new layer because of the mix.

Analogy:  This is why I put a reminder to myself at top of on my personal daily google drive doc during cruise week to "ask for real eggs in the omelette, not the fake egg mixture."   

What are the odds HAL would add extra unwanted stuff to an egg mixture to stretch profits?  Pretty high I'd think.

Edited by SempreMare

15 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Darn. 

I was visualizing real smoothies like what I saw on a ? Celebrity ? youtube where the bartender used fresh fruit in a blender.   Thanks for the reality check @SFO PETER and @Seavoyage.

I don't know what other crap chemicals were introduced into the mix.  At least if I see only bananas, strawberries, and yogurt being put into the blender, I know the extra chemicals are limited to what's in just those.  Not a new layer because of the mix.

Analogy:  This is why I put a reminder to myself at top of on my personal daily google drive doc during cruise week to "ask for real eggs in the omelette, not the fake egg mixture."   

What are the odds HAL would add extra unwanted stuff to an egg mixture to stretch profits?  Pretty high I'd think.

Check with the spa,  hy may offer them

Check with the spa, they may offer smoothies

They would be more likely to  use fresh fruit

IMO

Edited by sail7seas

If you have a "Sunday Brunch" on your cruise, look for a smoothie on the menu.  I has beets among the ingredients.  I didn't order it, but quite a few of the other passengers did.

14 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Darn. 

I think this is what they use or some similar brand - they use it in their mixed drinks too...

image.jpeg.2a2bb896434407a39ccd823e857a8df1.jpeg

@Seavoyage, what is the brand of that mix?   I'm squinting at the picture you posted...

I'd love to look at the label just in case I really get a smoothie craving.

Summary of below:   If you know someone who has been diagnosed with excema or psoriasis, encourage them to get a chemical allergy test.

I've developed an allergy to propylene glycol (an ingredient in anti-freeze) and formaldehyde and derivatives of formaldehyde whose chemical names on packaging labels don't resemble formaldehyde.  News to me, these chemicals were in a lot of products I ate, shampooed my hair with, lotions I put on my skin, touched (newspaper print) etc.     

After 9 trips to dermatologists, incorrect diagnosis of excema/psoriasis, I finally had the idea, "What about an allergy test?"  (Yes, I had to solve this on my own, not my dermatologi$t or the $200 / tube creams.)  

My back lit up like a checkerboard to those chemical squares.  It was just an allergy! 

Within 24 hours of removing propylene glycol and formaldehyde from my life,  everything changed.  I literally felt the "fire" / inflammation inside me subside.  I knew I was going to be OK.  Within 3 months, perfect skin again! 

Alcohol is tricky.  Apparently some beers use these chemicals to make their foam foamier. 

Which beers?   Where is the label of ingredients on a bottle of beer?  No where.  There's no way to find out.  They are not required to add labels.  One beer maker told me a labeling requirement law is proposed every few years in California, but alcohol industry lobbyists shut it down every time.    So odd - it's just like any other food that we ingest and put through our kidneys, liver, etc...

So I've had to switch to German beers that abide by that purity law that is hard to pronounce.

https://www.reinheitsgebot.de/en/home/the-reinheitsgebot/

Fave is Clausthaler.  It tastes like a craft brew,  it's just 89 calories!, and only $7-8 per 6 pack.
http://www.clausthaler.com/
My friends never guess it's non-alcoholic.  Interesting sentence from how it came about in 1516 Germany
>  Unfortunately, prior to the purity law, there were those who adulterated their brews with poisonous ingredients like thorn-apple, soot or deadly nightshade.

Edited by SempreMare

Sorry, when I'm on a cruise the LAST thing I am thinking about is what is healthy or not....

There is more than enough time for that silliness when I get home.....

Edited by FredT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wishing you the best of good health and   to  not   have  to  d eal with  that  'silliness',   not at home or when traveling.  🙂   

image.png.11f9deb374f0b5db20e2aaaa34053a6a.png

Edited by sail7seas

Just wondering.....I have thought about doing this but never have.  Go to the Lido and fill a bowl with fruit, pick up a container of yogurt, a container of Almond Milk and head to the bar.  Ask nicely if they will blend it up for you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZSandy25 said:

Just wondering.....I have thought about doing this but never have.  Go to the Lido and fill a bowl with fruit, pick up a container of yogurt, a container of Almond Milk and head to the bar.  Ask nicely if they will blend it up for you.

This is a GREAT idea @ZSandy25!    I'd imagine a cash in hand tip would help.

@sail7seas and @FredT,  I wouldn't be ordering them because they are healthy, (many smoothies are not healthy at all) but because I actually find some of them refreshing and yummy. 

There were 2 smoothies offered on the room service breakfast menu for Neptune Suites and above in case this is of help to anyone.

I ordered one once for a light breakfast and it was quite good 🙂 

16 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@sail7seas and @FredT,  I wouldn't be ordering them because they are healthy, (many smoothies are not healthy at all) but because I actually find some of them refreshing and yummy. 

Hey, dont get me wrong, I LOVE smoothies...  But especially on a cruise I am not going to worry if they are the "healthy" variety or not...   Looks good?   Heck yes, pour me one!

On 5/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

I’m looking for healthy bacon. 😂

Have you heard of turkey bacon? 🤔 Been on the breakfast menus for some time now, but tastes awful.. 😕

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Have you heard of turkey bacon? 🤔 Been on the breakfast menus for some time now, but tastes awful.. 😕

I was trying to be sarcastic. If I’m eating bacon, which I do regularly, it would never be made from anything but pigs. 

• Like 2