Comedian Acts on 7 day Cruises

Kermarkim

I am going on my first 7-day cruise on Carnival Conquest and based on the various Fun Times I have found, it appears that there will be at least 2 comedians onboard.  They seem to have a family show and then a R rated show almost each evening.  My question is are any of these repeat performances or will they have different acts each evening?

you are getting me very excited.  Just 17 days to go.  I've been on other cruiselines for 7 days or longer but none of those had comedians.  I went on 8 days on MSC which had no comedians and then I went on a Mediterranean cruise overseas on NCL and same thing, no comedians.  I enjoyed those cruises but missed the comedy.  That's one of our favorite activities on Carnival.  The longest cruise I've been on Carnival is 5 days/4 nights.  So I am very excited.  I hope we have some great shows.

5 minutes ago, Kermarkim said:

you are getting me very excited.  Just 17 days to go.  I've been on other cruiselines for 7 days or longer but none of those had comedians.  I went on 8 days on MSC which had no comedians and then I went on a Mediterranean cruise overseas on NCL and same thing, no comedians.  I enjoyed those cruises but missed the comedy.  That's one of our favorite activities on Carnival.  The longest cruise I've been on Carnival is 5 days/4 nights.  So I am very excited.  I hope we have some great shows.

The comedy shows are one of my favorite things to do on cruises.  Even some of the "repeat" shows aren't really repeats. You'll be able to tell when you're at the first show. If the act is totally scripted, it'll be a repeat. If the comedian does a lot of improv, the repeat will be different. Some of the comedians have enough unique shows that they don't have to repeat. When are you cruising?

14 minutes ago, Kermarkim said:

17 days so you're on the 5/25 conquest? I can tell you your first two comedians are Kelly Terranova and Manny Oliveira. I've seen both. Kelly is scripted but funny. Manny is one of my favorites. He's half scripted, half improv. And he doesn't just pick on the people in the front row. He will walk to the back of the room.

Edited by Saint Greg

On our 7-day last year aboard Glory, they started with two comedians. They did sets the first three nights. On day 4, those two got off the ship and two new ones got on. There was no comedy show that fourth night. Then the two new ones did sets the last three nights. We went to one R rated and one PG rated show for each of the four.

For all of them, most of their routines between their R & PG shows was different material. There'd be a few jokes here & there that they'd tell for both R and PG. They know what gets good laughs and they know there's probably new people who weren't at a previous show, so they'll throw some jokes into both routines. This is typical of just about every comedian out there, even hugely successful ones. 

What we didn't do was go to more than one R show or more than one PG show for the same comedian. So I don't know if they repeated their routines for those. We got to see each one twice and didn't feel like we missed out on anything.

12 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The comedy shows are one of my favorite things to do on cruises.  Even some of the "repeat" shows aren't really repeats. You'll be able to tell when you're at the first show. If the act is totally scripted, it'll be a repeat. If the comedian does a lot of improv, the repeat will be different. Some of the comedians have enough unique shows that they don't have to repeat. When are you cruising?

Have you cruised on Fantasy recently?  I know you have mentioned the small lounge on Fantasy in previous posts. I was curious if they did repeat shows on Fantasy due to the size of the lounge.  On Sunshine they frequently do repeat comedy shows so more than 50 passengers (a bit of an exaggeration) can see the same show due to  the size of the Limelight Lounge. 

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Have you cruised on Fantasy recently?  I know you have mentioned the small lounge on Fantasy in previous posts. I was curious if they did repeat shows on Fantasy due to the size of the lounge.  On Sunshine they frequently do repeat comedy shows so more than 50 passengers (a bit of an exaggeration) can see the same show due to  the size of the Limelight Lounge. 

I've never been on Fantasy. I found out about what they did to the comedy club from pictures and deck plans. I could be wrong but I thought the repeat/no repeat was based on how much material that particular comedian has. Usually the family friendly are repeated. I've seen it go both ways for the adult shows.

Edited by Saint Greg

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I've never been on Fantasy. I found out about what they did to the comedy club from pictures and deck plans. I could be wrong but I thought the repeat/no repeat was based on how much material that particular comedian has. I've seen it go both ways.

I believe you are correct about the repeat/no repeat for most comedians, but on Sunshine they schedule repeat shows on purpose due to the size of the Limelight Lounge. Not only is the lounge very small, but roughly a third of the seats have limited to no view of the stage. I don’t think you would enjoy Sunshine based on several of your cruise reviews I have read that always include lots of comedy shows and drinks at Alchemy. On the bright side, there is nothing wrong with the Alchemy Bar on Sunshine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I believe you are correct about the repeat/no repeat for most comedians, but on Sunshine they schedule repeat shows on purpose due to the size of the Limelight Lounge. Not only is the lounge very small, but roughly a third of the seats have limited to no view of the stage. I don’t think you would enjoy Sunshine based on several of your cruise reviews I have read that always include lots of comedy shows and drinks at Alchemy. On the bright side, there is nothing wrong with the Alchemy Bar on Sunshine. 

I’m planning on staying away from the ships with smaller comedy clubs. I would go back on Vista. But they did have adult comedy in the main lounge a couple nights.

We just got off a 7 day on the Legend.  We had 4 comedians.  2 were onboard when we got on, and halfway through those 2 got off and 2 new comedians got on.  There were a few repeats, but between the 4 comedians, there were ~ 20 UNIQUE shows.  It was awesome...plenty of chances to get my comedy fix!

14 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

Give me comedy over other shows any day! I usually end up watching about 8 R rated comedy shows on a 7 day cruise. The one night that doesn't have any comedy is always a weird one for me. It's like I don't know what to do with myself.

We have been on many 7 day cruises and the comedy shows were never repeated!

In April , for the first time on Splendor we ran into the situation where the PG show was a repeat BUT it had not been listed that way in the Fun Times! We sat in the comedy club waiting for the show and the MC then mentioned that it would be a repeat!! It was very disappointing to find out that way.

We prefer the comedy club to the musical shows and miss them on other cruise lines.

16 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

I am going on my first 7-day cruise on Carnival Conquest and based on the various Fun Times I have found, it appears that there will be at least 2 comedians onboard.  They seem to have a family show and then a R rated show almost each evening.  My question is are any of these repeat performances or will they have different acts each evening?

Our 7 day had four different comedians.  You do have a few chances to catch each of them.