Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
sharkster77

We NEVER EVER use taxis--hence this question RE: Basel

Hi all--

Just a quirky thing, but we are never in a situation to use taxis where we live, so please bear with me------

We are doing  DIY Lucerne after our river cruise ends in Basel.  We will be arranging for a cab (we hear the cruise director can help with this?) from the ship to the Basel SBB station.  Do Swiss cabs accept credit cards?   We fully expect to find ATM's at the train station, but we will need to pay for a cab before we get there.

We'd like to avoid getting Swiss francs here at home before the trip if necessary, as spending 2.5 days in Lucerne won't require much cash, so an ATM would give us more than enough.  Plastic makes the world go round, right?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Hi all--

Just a quirky thing, but we are never in a situation to use taxis where we live, so please bear with me------

We are doing  DIY Lucerne after our river cruise ends in Basel.  We will be arranging for a cab (we hear the cruise director can help with this?) from the ship to the Basel SBB station.  Do Swiss cabs accept credit cards?   We fully expect to find ATM's at the train station, but we will need to pay for a cab before we get there.

We'd like to avoid getting Swiss francs here at home before the trip if necessary, as spending 2.5 days in Lucerne won't require much cash, so an ATM would give us more than enough.  Plastic makes the world go round, right?

Thanks.

We utilized RF Taxi in Lucerne. We paid via credit card.

www.rftaxi.ch

We have also paid our fare in Basel with plastic (can't remember name of taxi co). 

Just ask your cruise director to ensure that the taxi they order will accept plastic & then it should present no problem whatsoever. 

Edited by dogs4fun

Along similar lines, and in case anyone suggests Uber - our Program Director warned us that Uber isn't completely legal in Basel. She didn't expressly say we shouldn't use it - but there could be complications if an Uber was stopped for whatever reason. Uber has a page dedicated to using Uber in Basel (it estimates a ride from the St. Johann terminal to SBB at CHF15) but I know that their MO is generally to beg forgiveness after rather than asking permission beforehand. 

We never use taxi's either (or have access to public transit), so I understand your question.  We paid with credit card from the Basel dock where our boat was docked to the train station. Avalon called for a taxi for us, and then let us know when it arrived.  I believe I rounded up the fare (it wasn't much) to add on a tip, as that is all that is commonly done from what I could see.

Posted (edited)

Just looked up the charge for our taxi.  We went from the boat to Basel Badischer Bahnhof (also known as Basel Bad BF).  It was 26CHF.  Just to give you an idea of costs.  The taxi is listed as Taxi-Zentrale.  Funny story, we were talking to the driver, and found out that his Mother & Sister live in the City near us...he pulled his phone out to confirm it was the correct phone #! 

Edited by Daisi

3 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

Maybe too late for the OP, but we used Uber twice in Basel....no problems.

Actually,not too late--we cruise in October, so your advice is appreciated--thanks! 

We used uber in July 2016 to get to our hotel right next to the train station.  Lyft wasn't available