Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
toodycat

My HAL Nieuw Amsterdam review Western Caribbean 2/17/19 with a couple of updates

Here’s a link to my review of our President’s week Western Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam: 

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=f0cf51dc77b0e9829b7afbfc0adfcb76d0a8bb5e9f2605b28a6393dd2e43fd3dae9a5fd61820deb2751e544dfc4da1b600581223c4a05de1

Two aspects that I forgot to mention in this review were the dress code and the population.

Attire: There were two formal nights and I had brought some simple maxi dresses and gold accessories. I have to say that many of the ladies on this ship put me to shame with fancy cocktail dresses and beautiful wraps and jewelry. If you like evening wear, you don’t have to worry about being overdressed on the Nieuw Amsterdam. People put in the effort to look gorgeous. Only some of the men bothered with tuxes, but formal nights saw many suits and jackets. For ladies, if you don’t like getting dressed up, a simple black dress that’s been dressed up or black pants and a sequined top or otherwise embellished top will suffice, but I wouldn’t treat formal night in the dining room like any other night.

Population: I know, I know...Holland America is the cruise line for seniors, except this week when it wasn’t. I’m not saying that there weren’t still a fair number of retirees on our sailing, but because it was President’s week, there were certainly many families with children. We met several younger families with small kids on our day at HMC. What I found more surprising was the number of 20-somethings that we saw drinking and dancing and generally enjoying themselves every night at BB King’s. These young ladies and their boyfriends were very well-dresssed and very enthusiastic about dancing to the BB King All-Stars. While I would not say that RCL or Carnival have to worry about HAL stealing this demographic from them, there were definitely more people under 30 than I have seen on past HAL cruises.

I read your review -very thorough.   I’ve only experienced the cabana at HMC once and loved the experience.  They do need more signs or something saying they are private though or people do use the shower etc.  Can be funny but could be confrontational too.  

We have found over the last couple of years the age bracket for passengers has become younger-yes there’s still older folks but it’s a nice mix and we enjoy chatting to all ages.

We saw the Postmodern Jukebox on the Koningsdam and didn’t like it at all.  

Thanks for your your thoughts and review, enjoyed it.