Class action Lawsuit regarding 3/23 Viking Sky incident

OnTheJourney

Somehow i think the $10 million dollar figure is going to look like pocket change when the whole thing finishes as i'm sure its going to end up costing them a heck of a lot more than that!!

Whether or not people are in agreement, the fact of the matter remains that people were injured due to circumstances outside of their control and as such they're seeking compensation.  Also its important to remember that injuries are not limited to physical cuts & bruises....

The class action is on behalf of 1300 passengers according to a LA newspaper. I think they are including the crew. When it’s settled the passengers will make a fraction of the 10 mil. The lawyers will make between 25 an 33%. 

10 mil is the opening ask....its going to be a lot more i guarantee it, it always is

10 mil divided by 930 = just over 10k per person, so even if they halve that to 465 of the passengers its only 20k per person and i'm yet to see any successful lawsuit against a big company where the returns were that low....

Not surprised to see a lawsuit but based on what I’ve read here, it seems that Viking has already tried to fairly compensate the passengers.  I understand that they paid for the March 23 cruise plus two future cruises.  I’m sure they would pay any medical expenses incurred too.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Not surprised to see a lawsuit but based on what I’ve read here, it seems that Viking has already tried to fairly compensate the passengers.  I understand that they paid for the March 23 cruise plus two future cruises.  I’m sure they would pay any medical expenses incurred too.  

and i'm sure some people will feel the same way that they've been fairly compensated; however, the beauty of the world we live in is that not only are people entitled to their differing opinions but they're also entitled to due process if they choose that route...

just when Viking thought their quiet handling of the situation by way of free cruises was the end of this.....i'm fairly certain the end is far from near

It won't go far under the cruise contract:

"All disputes arising under the Passenger Ticket Contract Terms and Conditions or related directly or indirectly to the cruise itself, including without limitation claims involving personal injury, illness or death arising during or from the cruise, are governed by the laws of Switzerland, exclusive of conflicts of law provisions and all such disputes must be litigated if at all in and before a court located in Basel, Switzerland to the exclusion of the courts of any other jurisdiction. You agree to be bound by and submit to the governing law, venue and jurisdiction for such claims stated in the Carrier’s Passenger Ticket Contract Terms and Conditions."

And why is it if there can be any statements that can be made to stir the pot, certain posters who have no interest in Viking except to forecast doom, gloom, and cast aspersions show up  on the thread.

"Frick" is already here. Can "Frack" be far behind?

At least their posts in the original thread on this incident are gone as they added nothing to the thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

"All disputes arising under the Passenger Ticket Contract Terms and Conditions or related directly or indirectly to the cruise itself, including without limitation claims involving personal injury, illness or death arising during or from the cruise, are governed by the laws of Switzerland, exclusive of conflicts of law provisions and all such disputes must be litigated if at all in and before a court located in Basel, Switzerland to the exclusion of the courts of any other jurisdiction. You agree to be bound by and submit to the governing law, venue and jurisdiction for such claims stated in the Carrier’s Passenger Ticket Contract Terms and Conditions."

And why is it if there can be any statements that can be made to stir the pot, certain posters who have no interest in Viking except to forecast doom, gloom, and cast aspersions show up  on the thread.

At least their posts in the original thread on this incident are gone as they added nothing to the thread.

Well if the mods cleaned up the other thread, I'm sure they will be watching this one also.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

So are you saying that anyone who is critical of Viking or has something contentious to say is 'Frick' is a pot stirrer who's posts should be removed by mods?  Seems counter-intuitive to the construct of a public forum where differing views and opinions are shared on a particular topic.....or did i mistake CC for the [insert cruise line name] fan club where only sycophantic praise is permitted?

• Like 1

Remember everyone - you can block anyone whose comments you do not want to see. After logging on, go to the drop down menu under your name. There is a link to "Ignored Users" and you can add the names of contributors whose comments you would prefer to avoid. You can also do it directly by putting your pointer directly on a name. A menu will appear with the option to ignore the user.

It can make this website a much more enjoyable experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

and i'm sure some people will feel the same way that they've been fairly compensated; however, the beauty of the world we live in is that not only are people entitled to their differing opinions but they're also entitled to due process if they choose that route...

just when Viking thought their quiet handling of the situation by way of free cruises was the end of this.....i'm fairly certain the end is far from near

I seriously doubt that Viking thought their “handling of the situation “ would be the end of things.  I’m sure they knew full well that lawsuits would follow.  It was a gesture of good will and frankly the right thing to do.  No one mentioned having to sign a waiver upon acceptance of their refunds and vouchers.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Richard2 said:

Remember everyone - you can block anyone whose comments you do not want to see. After logging on, go to the drop down menu under your name. There is a link to "Ignored Users" and you can add the names of contributors whose comments you would prefer to avoid. You can also do it directly by putting your pointer directly on a name. A menu will appear with the option to ignore the user.

Thanks for posting this, just tried it and it works great.🙂

• Like 3

On 5/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, Richard2 said:

Thanks for posting this. "Ignoring" the people who drive you bananas is so much nicer than the toxic atmosphere created when going head to head with them. If a particular post breaks the house rules, report the behavior and let the staff take care of it.

• Like 3

On mobile if you scroll to the top it is on the second line to the right under Account then Ignored Users.  I can't seem to hover on a name on mobile.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, Richard2 said:

I have just marked my first "Ignore User". Thanks for the advice. I do think I will not miss the posts by this particular individual, and it will make the website more enjoyable for me.

• Like 1