Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
johnjen

Am I Overthinking a Potential Privacy/Security Concern?

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I could post my name and address on those sites, and all that would happen to a would be burglar, is that they would run into my dog sitter, and have a new found understanding of the stand your ground law😉


Castle Doctrine for the win!  

I get asked all the time if I'm concerned about having a big doggie door on my back yard.  Nope... because I have two big dogs!

Plus, there's nothing of much value in my house to bother stealing -- all my money is either in my bank account, or in Royal Caribbean's bank account!  I live a very "cheap" lifestyle, and spend my money on experiences instead of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, voyager70 said:

 

Exactly.

 

 I travel every week for work.  Have an alarm with camera's connected straight to the police and fire/CO2 detectors connected directly to the fire department.  Also awesome neighbors who keep an eye on my house while I'm gone.   Not to worried about that.  But i do see how that could be a worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, later said:

I would worry more about your home being burglarizes when your gone.

 

THIS ^^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

 

What can I gain by calling up and changing your itinerary or adding removing things on your cruise planner? 

 

 

PLEASE add things to my cruise planner.  As you have to pay for them when you add them.

 

I appreciate the gift. 😄

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, purplegrapefruit said:

I think this everytime people post on Royal 's social media posts with the date they are leaving on vacation, under their real name.

 

🤯 Do people actually do that?

I don't even tell certain members of our families that we'll be gone.

 

Not worried about them robbing the house while we're gone, but I am worried they'll want to join us!!😄

 

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

 

🤯 Do people actually do that?

I don't even tell certain members of our families that we'll be gone.

 

Not worried about them robbing the house while we're gone, but I am worried they'll want to join us!!😄

 

We don't tell relatives either, you can choose your friends but not your relatives.

 

Imagine if someone did pay off your cruise with a stolen card and then when you showed up you found that your cruise had not been paid for and you were left at the dock.

 

Everyone can  do what they want, I never valet park my personal car, and follow reasonable security measures.

But in order to make an informed decision you need to know what the possible risk is and then accept it. 

 

This is what I deal with at work all the time so I tend to apply it elsewhere:

 

https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/risk-management/risk-management-framework-(RMF)-Overview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

LOL.. if you have your security settings right, those people on the groups can see your name only. Not worried about them burglarizing my home. Those groups are actually a lot more civilized than a lot of the conversations on this board. (some, not all)

 

I could post my name and address on those sites, and all that would happen to a would be burglar, is that they would run into my dog sitter, and have a new found understanding of the stand your ground law. 😉

You are exactly right.   But not everyone has a full time dog/house sitter.   We do now.   But we didn't use to. I mentioned this on one particular Royal group on Facebook and was rebuffed by the moderator, so I posted.  I understand Mary Smith of 123 Any St, Chicago, IL USA 60609.  (I used her real home address) and was promptly kicked out of that group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yep you won't find most of that information in a Facebook profile.

But you still wouldn't know when he was vacationing and for how long like you would posting that info on a social media site using real names.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After being briefed on cyber security and other threats we shred everything that has our name, address and/or account numbers on it, everything and have for years.  I think some of you would be shocked to what lengths some will go with your personal information.  Even people who think they're not any type of target because of where they live, or who is in and out of their house really have no clue. 

 

Have you ever heard of PII?  It's Personal Identifying Information and there are laws pertaining to it's use.

Edited by BND

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a burglar joins the group to see if they can break into a house during a specific time frame that people are gone?  What are the chances of that burglar actually living in my city area?  Are they going to fly to my area and hope to find the specific house I live in?  I guess they could just Google my name since, as mentioned, your information is EVERYWHERE.   There comes a point in time that you have to quit being so afraid of everything.  Yes, it would be a pain if someone breaks into my house.  A lot of paperwork and hassle to go through.  But, that is what insurance is for.  I appreciate the information I receive from there as well as the roll call groups on here.  Heck, anyone could join this site and pick a roll call to join.  How many times in a roll call do you get the question about where everyone is from?

 

After being through some health scares with both myself and my family, I do not worry about my material items as much.  Go ahead and let someone break in.  I will take the hassle of cleaning up and replacing items over worrying about health issues.  Life means too much.  I refuse to live in fear or allow unneeded stress to bother me.  (And, I work in law enforcement.  I have responded to tons of burglaries.  Guess what- you don't have to be on a vacation to be burglarized,)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredflint said:

Imagine if someone did pay off your cruise with a stolen card and then when you showed up you found that your cruise had not been paid for and you were left at the dock.


If someone pays off my cruise with a stolen credit card, my cruise will still get paid off because my Travel Agent will process my final payment with my credit card on the day scheduled anyway. 

I know what cruises I have scheduled, and I know when they need to be paid off.  I don't ask, "has this been paid off by someone else?" before making my final payment, so even if someone did call and pay my balance and then the charge was later reversed due to a stolen card, I would never know anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BND said:

But you still wouldn't know when he was vacationing and for how long like you would posting that info on a social media site using real names.  

 I'm more concerned with someone hacking my computer than some one robbing my house when I'm away.  Identity and credit card theft is more likely than someone breaking in and sealing my out dated electronics that they would have to unload for cash. We never keep cash in the house and any jewelry or things that can't be replaced are in a safe deposit box.  Unless you are retired or have a live in house keeper or a partner who doesn't work outside the home most people leave their home empty for a good part of the day. One of my parents friends had their home robbed when they went out for lunch.  They are an elderly couple so someone must have been watching their traffic pattern. They broke into the house using a tool from their shed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i will not even post a photo of myself on a social media site. My friends will know where I am going but never disclose that on any site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, brillohead said:


If someone pays off my cruise with a stolen credit card, my cruise will still get paid off because my Travel Agent will process my final payment with my credit card on the day scheduled anyway. 

I know what cruises I have scheduled, and I know when they need to be paid off.  I don't ask, "has this been paid off by someone else?" before making my final payment, so even if someone did call and pay my balance and then the charge was later reversed due to a stolen card, I would never know anyway.

 

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brillohead said:


I live a very "cheap" lifestyle, and spend my money on experiences instead of things.

Things never last as long as memories do. 👍

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

 

 

16 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

What can I gain by calling up and changing your itinerary or adding removing things on your cruise planner? 

For the same reason people hack others - to be jerks.

 

As others have noted, of more importance is telling the social media world that your house might be empty for two weeks while you're away.

Agreed. It's made me rethink of what is said in there. I've never done that though. The cruise pics go up after we are home. We just remain dormant.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BND said:

After being briefed on cyber security and other threats we shred everything that has our name, address and/or account numbers on it, everything and have for years.  I think some of you would be shocked to what lengths some will go with your personal information.  Even people who think they're not any type of target because of where they live, or who is in and out of their house really have no clue. 

 

Have you ever heard of PII?  It's Personal Identifying Information and there are laws pertaining to it's use.

It's my part time job (CEH).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, johnjen said:

Just a thought. You know, on certain social media sites where there's those set up pages for cruisers and their interests - even some with specific cruises and dates.....someone recently asked "So, when and where is your next cruise?" To my dismay I see lots of people commenting, willingly posting the cruise, ship, and date of their upcoming cruises - without thinking beforehand that their full names are attached.

 

Scenario: "Joe Smith" calls Royal after reading that "Joe Smith on the cruise page is on _____ cruise:

....."Yeah, we're booked on the upcoming cruise on the following date....my significant other knows the booking number, I don't...."
"OK Joe, we see you and xxxx are booked here. What do you want to do?"


Because there was that one time it happened to me. All I did was give RCL our name and I actually at that point in time didn't have our booking number. The agent literally used my name, then asked me for the number....I told him that I didn't have it. But from there, we made changes to the itinerary anyway.

 

And so I'll leave you to post (or just imagine) what can happen from there.
 

 

I don't post where I am going, I don't participate in group pages, I don't post pictures FROM vacation until we get back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you can get past my dog, my retired roomate who generally has a firearm close by and is home all the time and my security system, bring it on.    Oh yeah, and the county deputy across the street and the Chief of Police who lives behind me.   Nothing says neighborhood watch like having two LEOs in your neighborhood.     I refuse to live my life being paranoid. I pay good money for homeowners insurance for coverage against theft.    Identity fraud worries me more than anyone that would be stupid enough to break into my house but i have coverage for that too.

 

It would be VERY foolish for anyone to think that just because Im gone on a cruise, that my home is available and my stuff is free for the taking. 

Edited by ryano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I am tired of being scared.  While I don't go out of my way to create problems,  remember it happens to an amazingly small percentage of people.  

How many times do you hear about funerals where people attending houses were robbed during the funeral - and that is just part of one day - We always have a house/per sitter when we travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KimA75 said:

So, a burglar joins the group to see if they can break into a house during a specific time frame that people are gone?  What are the chances of that burglar actually living in my city area?  Are they going to fly to my area and hope to find the specific house I live in?  I guess they could just Google my name since, as mentioned, your information is EVERYWHERE.   There comes a point in time that you have to quit being so afraid of everything.  Yes, it would be a pain if someone breaks into my house.  A lot of paperwork and hassle to go through.  But, that is what insurance is for.  I appreciate the information I receive from there as well as the roll call groups on here.  Heck, anyone could join this site and pick a roll call to join.  How many times in a roll call do you get the question about where everyone is from?

 

After being through some health scares with both myself and my family, I do not worry about my material items as much.  Go ahead and let someone break in.  I will take the hassle of cleaning up and replacing items over worrying about health issues.  Life means too much.  I refuse to live in fear or allow unneeded stress to bother me.  (And, I work in law enforcement.  I have responded to tons of burglaries.  Guess what- you don't have to be on a vacation to be burglarized,)

 

I agree 100% 🙂   Well said. As far material things goes, I have a Les Paul or three I would miss but they are well covered under scheduled property for more than it would cost to replace them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone who thinks their dog will protect their home,  needs to rethink that unless the dog has been specifically trained.  Most dogs, while they will bark or even growl, they won't actually do anything if someone comes in.  This has been shown time and time again in experiments.  Dogs are naturally not aggressive and most that are don't belong around families.

 

I just don't see the point in posting details on a site that tells the world where you're going, when you're going, who you're going with, etc.    Most of what a lot of you think is harmless, or impossible is what the police routinely teach not to do.

 

But, hey, go for it.  It's entirely your choice.

Edited by BND

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

They usually want more than just that when you call the call centre about your cruise.

 

Maybe its Carnival Im thinking of but Im always asked for a 4 digit PIN to go further. I havent had to call Royal yet for anything for this cruise and its been several years since Ive dialed their #.  Ive done everything online. 

Edited by ryano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BND said:

Anyone who thinks their dog will protect their home,  needs to rethink that unless the dog has been specifically trained.  Most dogs, while they will bark or even growl, they won't actually do anything if someone comes in.  This has been shown time and time again in experiments.  Dogs are naturally not aggressive and most that are don't belong around families.

 

I just don't see the point in posting details on a site that tells the world where you're going, when you're going, who you're going with, etc.    Most of what a lot of you think is harmless, or impossible is what the police routinely teach not to do.

 

But, hey, go for it.  It's entirely your choice.

 

Wholeheartedly agree.  To those who say "what are the chances" I have two friends whose home was burglarized while on vacation after posting their travel plans on social media.  They had a dog at home as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...